• Register Today It's free!

Viper 5704 alarm!

Karpiel73

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport
I had this alarm installed the end of November. When I picked it up the installer said he "had the car tore apart wire up all the doors". Today I realized that the back door is NOT wired into the alarm.

OPINION: Should the back door have been wired up too? For $800 I feel it sure damn well should have been. Just curious before I go in to them and complain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are burglars regulated to not use the back door?

i would say it should be.

That's a good way to put it. I'll use this when I call them. Thank you.

That's a good way to put it. I'll use this when I call them. Thank you.

"Oh, there's a blinking blue light in the front, let's just get in through the rear."

"Oh, there's a blinking blue light in the front, let's just get in through the rear."

Point is that I paid alot of money and the job was not done correctly.

Gave the shop a call and they didn't hesitate to tell me bring it in and it will get fixed

Do your rear doors turn on the dome light when they are opened? if not thats probable. Fords are known for the sensor that part of the latch assembly in the door to go bad.

$800 seems WAY over priced. Best buy even sells it for 600 installed.

Do your rear doors turn on the dome light when they are opened? if not thats probable. Fords are known for the sensor that part of the latch assembly in the door to go bad.

Both back glass and door turn on the dome lights. I had additional sensors installed with it. It was expensive but when I saw all the wires they had to run I was glad I didn't have that headache.

I bought an alarm for $50 and installed it myself.

Beat that. ;)

did you look into the 5904 by chance? if so did you see any differences? kind of caught between the two at the moment and all i see thats different is the remotes and well the price.... leaning towards the 57 though.

Both back glass and door turn on the dome lights. I had additional sensors installed with it. It was expensive but when I saw all the wires they had to run I was glad I didn't have that headache.

What kind of extra sensors did they install?

if they talked you into a prox sensor just wait. when i installed i would talk customers out of them (even though they were a money maker at the stores). I would refer to them as an "ant" detector. they would go off for no reason.

Also keep in mind alarms are made to be "universal" so they can work in many types of vehicels. half of the wires on an alarm are not used. since they are not needed for your type of vehicle

did you look into the 5904 by chance? if so did you see any differences? kind of caught between the two at the moment and all i see thats different is the remotes and well the price.... leaning towards the 57 though.

From what I remember the only difference was the remotes. W/ the 59 you can change the pictures on the remote but thats all I remember.

What kind of extra sensors did they install?

if they talked you into a prox sensor just wait. when i installed i would talk customers out of them (even though they were a money maker at the stores). I would refer to them as an "ant" detector. they would go off for no reason.

Also keep in mind alarms are made to be "universal" so they can work in many types of vehicels. half of the wires on an alarm are not used. since they are not needed for your type of vehicle

I would rather not talk about the whole setup, kinda paranoid I guess :confused: I did not get the proxy sensor however b/c I read some pretty humorous reviews of it.

UPDATE: I took the Ex in today and they had no problem with taking it and wiring the back door in free of charge. HOWEVER now when I unlock it it gives me an alarm report every time and the blue light in the windshield never stops blinking, even if the car is on. Guess I have to take it back for the 3rd time. I'm starting to get fed up with this place and one employee in general who doesn't let me get a word in edgewise.

Back