Voice commands just plain stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Voice commands just plain stopped working

darenberg

Reaction score
City, State
Northville, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
After many months of blissful harmony between myself the my SYNC/MFT on my 2011 Explorer lLimited, I must have angered it somehow. With no apparent triggering event that I can identify, it just stopped taking voice commands. Gone are the following.

1. The audible tone that comes with every press of the voice command button.
2. The "Say a command" prompt
3. The "Listening" graphic in the lower left corner (replaced by an ear graphic and a blank space)
4. Any voice prompts from Navigation (tone and words, and no it is not muted)

I have gone in to the system settings and make sure the volume is not turned down somehow on the voice commands/prompts. The volume was set just as it always has been.

Anybody else with experience with this problem? Any solutions, settings or simple issues I have overlooked? I have installed all known updates and upgrades.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happened to me on about the same date as you! I haven't played with it, but it sounds like it will do no good. It is wierd that ours both happened at about the same time. Could in be a glitch in the new sync software?

Darenberg, and deerfarm,

this is a documented problem. We are trying to get Ford to recognize the problem and it would be helpful if you log onto http://bugs.outofmytouch.com/issues/83 to see my initial complaint regarding this bug and add to this your experiences well. No know cause as of yet. do you recall what either of you were doing just before this started?

Darenberg, and deerfarm,

this is a documented problem. We are trying to get Ford to recognize the problem and it would be helpful if you log onto http://bugs.outofmytouch.com/issues/83 to see my initial complaint regarding this bug and add to this your experiences well. No know cause as of yet. do you recall what either of you were doing just before this started?

I cannot correlate any events with the failure. It occurred about a week ago and has not come back. I'm due for service soon, so I'll have it addressd then. Good to know that it is happening to many people.

Today, my car prompted me to do my 5000 mile Vehicle Health Report. When it was done, I tried my voice prompt button and IT WORKED!!!! I then programed a destination to be sure she would talk to me on that and she did.

I haven't tried it for a few days, so it may have been working before running the health report, but I doubt it.

This happened to me a week before my Sync module went completely dead. Had to take it in to the dealer to have the entire system swapped out and a new one placed in.

A Master Reset gave me the voice back and eliminated the "ear and listening" notations. But also deleted my wallpaper apps and all stored destinations.

After many months of blissful harmony between myself the my SYNC/MFT on my 2011 Explorer lLimited, I must have angered it somehow. With no apparent triggering event that I can identify, it just stopped taking voice commands.
Anybody else with experience with this problem? Any solutions, settings or simple issues I have overlooked? I have installed all known updates and upgrades.
This happened to me on about the same date as you! I haven't played with it, but it sounds like it will do no good. It is wierd that ours both happened at about the same time. Could in be a glitch in the new sync software?

Hey, darenberg and deerfarm!

A Master Reset will fix this issue. Here are the instructions:

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

Like Bohunk stated, it does erase all SYNC and Navigation related information; you'll have to re-enter your Favorites, re-pair your phone, and re-add your Wallpapers.

You can also use the Delayed Reboot that's located in the SiriusXM Voice Command file, here:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?sr=y&msg=3904.1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb

Please be sure to use an empty USB flash drive when downloading it.

A Master Reset gave me the voice back and eliminated the "ear and listening" notations. But also deleted my wallpaper apps and all stored destinations.

Hi, Bohunk!

The Master Reset is intended to put everything back to the factory default settings. Hopefully you had all of your Wallpapers saved on your flash drive for easy reinstallation! :)

Rebecca

This has happened to me also. Weird did nothing different then I normally do. What I did notice before it stopped working is that the MFT after I would start the vehicle is that it would take a long time to boot and finally start working. When it was booting the main window would be up on the screen with the four sections but you couldnt touch anything. If you wanted to turn on the air or radio u had to use the dials on the bottom. Couple of times i sat there and waited and it would take over 5 mins for it to boot up where it started taking touch commands. During the time of the boot it would not take voice commands. After that happened to me a few times it then all of sudden I noticed would boot up normally but the voice commands would not work like everyone else noticed. Stopped working for me since and has been almost a month. I was gonna wait to have it checked at the next service which is coming up in the next 1K miles.

Was thinking of doing the master reboot to see if that would work but didnt want to lose all my favorites, etc. I guess after reading the above i will have to back up what I can on paper. MFT touch should give u an option to store all your info in a file if you ever have to do a master reboot. Should allow you to save all your destinations from you nav, your fav stations, and any wall paper. Blows you have to redo all of that. Put my suggestion to use Ford and make common sense reality in your product. So people dont have to do manual intensive crap like writing all my favorites and destinations on paper before I wipe it out.

Darenberg, and deerfarm,

<snip> MFT touch should give u an option to store all your info in a file if you ever have to do a master reboot. Should allow you to save all your destinations from you nav, your fav stations, and any wall paper. <snip>

This is an excellent idea! :thumbsup:

I've had my Explorer since March and I've experienced a bit of MFT's cantankerousness. However, the reboot app has generally brought the system back to center. I've done it about 6 times. Now, the last few weeks, we started popping record highs in these parts and MFT has been noticeably more stubborn on start-up; particularly after sitting in a parking lot for several hours. It generally returns to "normal" after running the A/C or in the evenings after the heat of the day has passed. I definitely think it takes several minuets to gain sanity under these conditions.

IMG_0311_cropped.jpg

For the record, the temp reading was when I just climed in and started it up. The reading did drop to 113, after driving for a few min.

I was gonna wait to have it checked at the next service which is coming up in the next 1K miles.

Was thinking of doing the master reboot to see if that would work but didnt want to lose all my favorites, etc. I guess after reading the above i will have to back up what I can on paper. MFT touch should give u an option to store all your info in a file if you ever have to do a master reboot. Should allow you to save all your destinations from you nav, your fav stations, and any wall paper. Blows you have to redo all of that. Put my suggestion to use Ford and make common sense reality in your product. So people dont have to do manual intensive crap like writing all my favorites and destinations on paper before I wipe it out.

I have to agree with you, mdc160. Please make an appointment with your dealer to have them check your system. Also, you should submit your fantastic idea on FordSocial under the Your Ideas section. Here's a link to the site:

www.Social.Ford.com

For the record, the temp reading was when I just climed in and started it up. The reading did drop to 113, after driving for a few min.

:eek: That's WAY too hot, swkooter!

Rebecca

I've had my Explorer since March and I've experienced a bit of MFT's cantankerousness. However, the reboot app has generally brought the system back to center. I've done it about 6 times. Now, the last few weeks, we started popping record highs in these parts and MFT has been noticeably more stubborn on start-up; particularly after sitting in a parking lot for several hours. It generally returns to "normal" after running the A/C or in the evenings after the heat of the day has passed. I definitely think it takes several minuets to gain sanity under these conditions.

I'm on my third master reset for this problem, and it also seems occur on particularly hot days. Wonder if there is a TSB for this particular issue??

I'm on my third master reset for this problem, and it also seems occur on particularly hot days. Wonder if there is a TSB for this particular issue??

Hi, Mams-Ex!

There isn't a TSB for that. Have you had the upgrade performed on your Explorer yet?

Rebecca

Hi, Mams-Ex!

There isn't a TSB for that. Have you had the upgrade performed on your Explorer yet?

Rebecca

I believe that it's current. The dealer has updated it more than once. Currently it reads: CCPU S/W Version: 4.26.12023_PRODUCT

I believe that it's current. The dealer has updated it more than once. Currently it reads: CCPU S/W Version: 4.26.12023_PRODUCT

Yes, that's version 3.0.2. A Master Reset or a reboot is currently the only way to correct this issue.

Rebecca

Just searched out this thread. My voice commands just stopped working after 1+ years with no problem. Guess I'll try the master reset see if it works.
Dave

Just searched out this thread. My voice commands just stopped working after 1+ years with no problem. Guess I'll try the master reset see if it works.
Dave

Let us know how it goes, Dave!

Rebecca

I have had my new 2013 explorer exactly 3 days and lost voice commands.
Had to do master reset. Seems to be working fine now. Sure hope isn't going to be ongoing problem!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Master Reset did not work

I too have the same issues:
1. The audible tone that comes with every press of the voice command button is gone.
2. The "Say a command" prompt does not work
3. The "Listening" graphic in the lower left corner (replaced by an ear graphic and a blank space)

I did the master reset twice and still does not work. Tried master reset a third time. I got the voice command back. "say a command". After I said sirus pulse, it tuned to the pulse like it should. So I then pushed the command button again to check it and then it did not work. SOOO I did a reset a fourth time and still nothing. Now im frustrated. 2013 model with 2000 miles. Too early for problems. Any other suggestions?

Back