Volant Air Intake System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Volant Air Intake System

jeffwhiteis

Reaction score
So I recently purchased the Volant Air Intake System, full kit. (see photo below)

The photo isnt from my truck, just an example of the intake I purchased. Anyway, I havent installed it yet, but was wondering if I should modify the Volant box it came with? Should I cut a bigger hole in the side of it, or most of it or what? Any ideas or suggestions would be great, thanks!

Jeff
19440i.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats a sweet intake u thinkin of getting one for ur x

Yup leave it alone, you can easily hear the difference, it's a pain to instal tho' it fits in there really tight, and if you have the hood pin, it'll be in your way...
DSCF0465.jpg

whoops my bad sorry

I've got a modified 4.0 SOHC Volant in my 5.0. No need to mod the box. Plenty of airflow in there. The box does a good job of keeping moisture and dust off your filter for the most part.

The intake is for a 4.6 right?

Nope, 4.0 They don't make one for the 4.6

I'm installing it today, and Im pretty excited, ha. Any suggestions on any problems I may run into during the install? I'll post a photo after Im done, and I'll certainly be posting any questions I have if I run into any problems.

All finished... the install literally only took 30 minutes, and that included the 10 minutes it took to clean up the blood on my finger from jammin it between the scrwdriver and one of the clamps, haha. I also installed my new billet grille, which looks badass. Santa was nice this year I guess, lol. Ill post some pics to this thread later on today or tomorrow. Merry Christmas.

Photos (Intake & Billet Grille)

Here are 2 photos of the new billet grille and Volant intake.

1225truck2.jpg

Photo002.jpg

I was getting all excited, but I remembered the 02-03 is different than the 04 and for some reason it won't fit

It won't work on 04 and 05's because Ford changed the way the top of the air box is made and the way the MAS is mounted. They also changed the design of the MAS itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

I love my new Volant intake, but really want to cut a bigger hole in it. I understand it's engineered properly, but do you think it would be ok to make a bigger hole and draw in more air?

You can only suck in so much air in through your intake plenum.

Sorry i know this doesnt really pertain to anything about intakes but do those tail light guards bolt on to the headlight or the truck. Was wonderin if theyd work with aftermarket tail lights?
And Jeff...bad ass Ex!!!

You use the bolts for the tail lights to instal the guards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea 10-4, the Westin taillight guards have brackets that bolt on with the factory taillight bolts.

Back