Voltage Meter in dash bouncing

TooFarFromFenway

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Greetings all!

First off, I have a 1992 Explorer EB edition, 4X4 with automatic.

My voltage meter on the dash bounces. I mean, it goes from anywhere in the middle, to almost 18 volts, and my lights dim. All of them.

I hooked my voltage meter up to the battery, to the starter, etc. and it bounces too. So, it's not a problem in the dash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~TooFar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The voltage regulator on the alternator may be shot. Not sure if you can buy just a new regulator anymore. May need to replace the alternator.
Also check your battery cables. They corrode & have problems holding current.

if you ever see voltages greater than 14.2 your voltage regulator er? is bad, you can get many alternator starter and most any other usually only available at depot level maintenance from national automotrive lines in shelbyville indiana and at dealer wholesale prices on mostt items800-428-4300... alternator, voltage limits are usually 13.8 to 14.2,, the regulator brush box on ford alternators are easy to change

Well, had my mechanic check it out, and he confirmed it was a bad voltage regulator, in combination with a bad battery wire, and a bad battery cell.

Replaced all of them, and it's fine now.

Thanks for the suggestions on the V.R. And yes, AutoZone still carries them. $100 though.

FYI you can get new Motorcraft ones on ebay for $30-40. New aftermarket ones are ~$20.

Greetings all!

First off, I have a 1992 Explorer EB edition, 4X4 with automatic.

My voltage meter on the dash bounces. I mean, it goes from anywhere in the middle, to almost 18 volts, and my lights dim. All of them.

I hooked my voltage meter up to the battery, to the starter, etc. and it bounces too. So, it's not a problem in the dash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~TooFar
This is just fine, my xlt gas been doing the same thing for a while. Even when the volts almost red line, they will (i promise) drop to normal. Yeah head lights flicker and battery light pops on (brightest especially when volts are high) but the volts will drop down and never exceed the red line even when you rev the motor. This is how these things are!! Hope this helps!!

Back