• Register Today It's free!

Vomiting antifreeze!

walterd140

Reaction score
City, State
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
94 explorer is acting up. Seems to spew antifreeze at will. Some days it's fine, others there's puddles everywhere I go.

Looked around & it seems to be coming from the heater hose connected to the water pump. But a friend said it was the pump itself blowing out the valve in it.

Anyone go through this? What did you find the issue to be?
Thanks
Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

94 explorer is acting up. Seems to spew antifreeze at will. Some days it's fine, others there's puddles everywhere I go.

Looked around & it seems to be coming from the heater hose connected to the water pump. But a friend said it was the pump itself blowing out the valve in it.

Anyone go through this? What did you find the issue to be?
Thanks
Walter

Lower radiator hose? Replace it if you sure thats where its coming from, if you replace it, use new clamps, if its coming from the waterpump that could be a sign, Well it is a sigh that your waterpump needed to be place!

As A simple pressure test, it does hold pressure. At least when I go to take the radiator cap off it has pressure.

You cant tell exactly where the coolants coming from then? If the hose is torn or damaged - replace it.

You need to use an actual cooling system pressure tester like the one in this link: http://www.explorerforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/231/cat/500
42004Stant_12270T_cooling_system_tester.jpg

These are available from AutoZone for free rental. You pay a refundable deposit.

How old is the radiator cap? Maybe need a new one? (Cheap if it's not the problem.)

Dave, no, it seems to be coming from the heater hose. But my time & $$ is limited, so I thought I would ask around if anyone had this happen to them so I can get it fixed the 1st time under the hood.

Guess I'll try the pressure test tool. Lot cheaper then hose & pump just to find something else wrong.

Thanks for the input folks.
Walter

Back