• Register Today It's free!

VSS/ Seedometer issues

Themightyquinn

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0L AWD
I have a 1996 Explorer Limited, SOHC V-6, automatic. I have issues with the speedometer needle fluctuating erratically. When I first bought the vehicle, it has just under 240,000 in the clock and the speedometer need didn't work at all. I removed the VSS and replaced the worn out plastic driven gear. The old gear had 19 teeth, so replaced it with one with 19 teeth. The speedometer worked after that, but fluctuated as mentioned earlier. A couple of weeks ago i had the transmission overhauled by a transmission shop. The technician told me that after running a full vehicle diagnostic, he received a code p1500 (VSS signal intermittent). He said he replaced the VSS but the problem persisted. He advised that I look further into the issue. A week after getting the truck back I'm getting a p0761 code with flashing O/D light and hard shifting. Is it safe to assume the VSS signal error is to blame? And does anyone have any troubleshooting tips for it. I am curious as to how I can be certain that the vehicle does require a 19 tooth driven gear and not a 16, 17, 18, 20, or 21 tooth driven gear. I have looked up some formulas, but they seem impractical for the DIY mechanic as you need to know true vehicle speed, and drive gear teeth count, etc.

I have a 1996 Explorer Limited, SOHC V-6, automatic. I have issues with the speedometer needle fluctuating erratically. When I first bought the vehicle, it has just under 240,000 in the clock and the speedometer need didn't work at all. I removed the VSS and replaced the worn out plastic driven gear. The old gear had 19 teeth, so replaced it with one with 19 teeth. The speedometer worked after that, but fluctuated as mentioned earlier. A couple of weeks ago i had the transmission overhauled by a transmission shop. The technician told me that after running a full vehicle diagnostic, he received a code p1500 (VSS signal intermittent). He said he replaced the VSS but the problem persisted. He advised that I look further into the issue. A week after getting the truck back I'm getting a p0761 code with flashing O/D light and hard shifting. Is it safe to assume the VSS signal error is to blame? And does anyone have any troubleshooting tips for it. I am curious as to how I can be certain that the vehicle does require a 19 tooth driven gear and not a 16, 17, 18, 20, or 21 tooth driven gear. I have looked up some formulas, but they seem impractical for the DIY mechanic as you need to know true vehicle speed, and drive gear teeth count, etc.
Hi. How did you fix this?

By replacing the worn drive gear inside the t case

Good job using the search function!! See your other thread

By replacing the worn drive gear inside the t case

Good job using the search function!! See your other thread
I was asking because I didn't find an answer. How did you take out the worn drive gear? did you take the T case out or did you pry the gear off the spline?

Back