• Register Today It's free!

vss

JoshT

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

Got a '98 explorer 5.0, I want to install that drivetrain complete into a vehicle with univ ersal wire harness. I have figured out most of my connections, but not sure about the vss. It appears thst the ECU gets its vss signal from the abs module, which inturn gets. Its signal from the rear wheel speedb sensor. I do not plan to keep the abs module, or to have abs installed. So, is there a workaround for getting the proper vss signal to the ecu without the abs module?

Thanks,
-Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a simular problem with my project. I ended up wiring in an additional gem from a ranger that has a rabs. Now my speedo will work with any engine trans combo.

In my analysis of the OSS and VSS I came to the conclusion that transmission shifting info was OSS alone. The only use of VSS signals appeared to be the ABS and 4WD.

What vehicle are you putting your engine in? I just finished installing the same engine/trans in an '82 Volvo. It runs and shifts as intended. Need any detailed info on wiring? I built my wiring harness. You only need 19 connections between the Ford Harness and the car body.

Wow I forgot about even making this post until I saw the reply notice in my email. I can tell I typed that first post on my call phone.

Can't recall what OSS is, but on my Explorer donor the VSS in the rear axle is the only type of speed sensor (with exception of ABS sensors in front) that it has. Plans have changed a bit for now anyway.

This is going into a 1986 Ranger that originally had a 2.9L, not that that matters now. I have ripped the entire harness out of the Ranger, modified the firewall and started installing the Explorer's harness. The deciding factor was keeping the ABS system and not for the reason you may think, but more on that below. In addition to the ABS, swapping in the Explorer harness will allow me to keep other electronic features that were standard by the late 90 that I wanted to incorporate. Since I have all of the parts needed I'll be able to do so with lower expense and less wiring than if I went aftermarket for those features.

That said I it would be interesting to see what you did if it's easy to post. In the event that I abandon the wiring swap it would definitely be good info to have available. Might also help someone else down the road.

Now for why I'm keeping the ABS. Let's start with a piece of info that few seem to realize, the 83-88 were the lightest production Rangers built, with the lightest being close to 500lb lighter than the lightest V8 fox body. Adding in the V8 it's still quite a bit lighter. As part of my build the truck is getting upgraded to the 95-97 suspension and will be receiving 13" cobra disk brakes, and has Explorer rear disks. Truck is close to being 1K pounds lighter than the cobra, and about 1500 pounds lighter than the Explorer. With that much braking power in the lightest Ranger body/configuration ever sold (even lighter than the fox body stang) I imagine that the brakes won't hesitate to lock up. Since I have everything to make the ABS work except front wheel speed sensors why not include that system in the build as well.

The OSS is the Output Speed Sensor in the 4R70W transmission. Are you auto or manual?

Here is the C115 connector pin-out for the connections from the Explorer harness to the rest of the world. That is the big, square, 42 pin connector at the end of the harness. You need the female side of that connector for all the connections. Mine is a '00 but there are not any differences from your '98 at that point.

C115M pin out – short version

1.) Pin 1 (red/light green) (circuit 16, page 13-16) Ignition coils power
2.) Pin 2 (tan/yellow) (circuit 11, page 62-2) Tachometer
3.) Pin 3 (pink/light blue) (circuit 915, page 25-6) Data port
4.) Pin 4 (red/light green) (circuit 810, pages 30-2, 59-6) Brake torque converter unlock
5.) Pin 5 (dark green/yellow) (circuit 238, page 25-1) Fuel pump on signal
6.) Pin 6 (pink/light green) (circuit 658, page 23-2) Dash MIL/CEL
7.) Pin 8 (yellow) (circuit 37, page 25-1) PCM permanent B+
8.) Pin 9 (red) (circuit 361, page 25-2) Fuel injector/IAC/MASF B+
9.) Pin 11 (tan/orange) (circuit 914, page 25-6) Data Port
10.) Pin 12 (tan/white) (circuit 234, page 30-2) Transmission Control Switch (OD Lock out)
11.) Pin 15 (light blue/orange) (circuit 926, page 25-1) Fuel pump relay
12.) Pin 16 (red/white) (circuit 39, page 62-2) Coolant Temperature Sensor
13.) Pin 22 (violet) (circuit 107, page 14-1, 25-6) PCM reprogramming power from Data Port
14.) Pin 26 (dark green/white) (circuit 253, page 62-2) engine oil sensor
15.) Pin 34 (black/white) (circuit 570, page 10-2) Ground
16.) Pin 36 (light blue/orange) (circuit 34, page 13-5, 25-6) O2 sensor/transmission power
17.) Pin 40 (white/light green) (circuit 911, page 62-6) 'OD OFF' indicator light
18.) Pin 41 (light green/red) (circuit 904, page 12-1) ALT light
19.) Pin 42 (yellow/white) (circuit 36 page 12-1) Alternator power

The long version, as well as more info than you knew you wanted is available here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250604

Are you aware of the PATS issue? If not, you will be shortly.

That's what I though but I wasn't sure. I'm using the 4R70W as long as it's an auto, but I'd eventually like to go back to a manual transmission. Would love to have a TKO 600 or a T56, but that takes money that could be better used getting the truck on the road right now.

I'll have to look at my transmission again, but I do not believe that it has the OSS. Don't recall seeing it when I removed the transmission, but I pulled all of it out as an assembly. I wasn't disconnecting anything but the O2 sensors under there, so I could have very easily overlooked it.

I am aware of the pats issue, and already have it handled. Worst case scenario I would have put the PATS ring and chip under the dash somewhere, but I managed to get an already programmed ECU from another forum. Tested before tearing the Explorer apart to make sure it worked.

Thanks for the link I will definitely look it over when I have a little more time.

Back