Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
I need your opinions on the VW Golf GTI or R32 4door
I am really contemplating getting this for my next vehicle

Highlights for me are the awesome turbo 2liter and Dual Clutch auto in the gti

the r32 is going to go for a premium but it's got the audi a4 all wheel drive system

I'm not going to be racing with this thing, but I want something sporty comfortable, and easy to cruise in. I"m sick of buzzin along with 33inch mud tires in my sport that barely does 75. I'll probably retire the ex to trail duty, and severe winter storm beater.
Needless to say a top end passport detector is the first purchase if I get the vw.

well enough ranting what do you think??

here are some pics
2006-Volkswagen-R32-Silver-FA-1024x768.jpg

vw_gti_abt.jpg

and an interior behind the wheel shot
0+2006_Volkswagen_GTI+Interior_View_Steering_Wheel.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sick ride so fun to drive
GTI has always been my favortie water cooled VW, last year when they came out with the R32 version (AWD) I drooled all over the place.

I personally would seriously consider the 1.8L Turbo version if its available and I would never buy a GTI with an automatic

The 1.8L (or now 2.0L) turbo has alot of aftermarket support and can make big power

I owned a 2002 VW GTI Vr6 Anniversary addition, loved that car!! they ride awesome!!!

I love Top Gear

2.0 GTI Turbo. the most entertaining test drive of my entire life!

bump for the turbo GTI ?? any more opinions??

Only thing is I want a 4door and the r32 is 2 door only
and a A4 is alotta money

There is a guy at one of my accounts with an r32, not sure of the year, but he tells me it's a screamer. As of yet I cannot persuade him to hand over the keys for a test run.

sorry about never replying, but i test drove one of the turbos while car shopping with the ex girlfriend. she ended up buying an explorer.....but the sales guy who went on my test drive was about 22, and he let me really beat the thing. you really have to drive the car! if you put your foot in it in the first three gears, you're gonna get wheelspin. and yes, it was a stick. best time i ever had on a test drive. i took a cloverleaf onramp(25mph posted) AT ABOUT 75. like glue.

if you put your foot in it in the first three gears, you're gonna get wheelspin. and yes, it was a stick. best time i ever had on a test drive. i took a cloverleaf onramp(25mph posted) AT ABOUT 75. like glue.

haha sounds safe.

personally ive always been a fan of the gti though. i like the 2-door idea over the 4 door.

I really really like the gti mk5 and the r32 I have test drove both. Eventually I wanna own both the gti mk5 and the r32.

I am going to be test driving a red 2008 r32 next week. Hell yeah

they corner like theyre on rails. when i bought my rabbit, the fella let me take a r32 out for a spin. pickup is impressive for the price, but the fit and finish and the handling are just... well gotta drive it to understand.

yess these are the type of comments I was looking for
thanks yall

hey you guys I'm super bored in class and would love to waste/pass time thinking about the GTI
how do you you think the new GTI compares to the Mazda Speed 3??
same level? what is better? I know the speed 3 is faster but what is a better quality?

Mazda vs VW, go drive them both...the VW feels like a german car, heavy and puts you in touch with the road....not sure if the Mazda will give you the same feeling

The VW fit and finish is much better

But then I have been a fan of the 3 door Rabbits/golfs since I was a little kid so my opinion is biast Just go drive everything in your price range then decide

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good call

Back