Waiting to purchase phone until after performance update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Waiting to purchase phone until after performance update

GeekLegion

Reaction score
City, State
Visalia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited Explorer 301
So recently my Motorolla Droid was completely broken by a final "security update" pushed out by Verizon. It was designed to prevent users from rooting the device and running custom software. Instead it prevented me from making/receiving phone calls and text messages.

Ironically, the only solution to the problem was to root the phone and run custom software.

It still isn't perfect, but I would really like to delay the purchase of a new phone until after I can get the MFT performance update and compare notes with everyone.

Is anyone else waiting to buy a phone until after the update comes out?

Will the supported device list get updated when the performance update is released?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, GeekLegion!

Sorry to hear about your phone!

We will release an updated list but I'm not certain of when that will be. Some of the Verizon stores will allow you to take a demo phone (and a sales person) out to your vehicle to see if they work together, so there's always that option too!

Rebecca

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure it will really be a good test if the demo phone is not really configured for real life use. I also need to get the performance update installed before I go bother verizon. I do not think I can consider the testing valid if it is done before the performance update is applied.

Maybe Verizon can release a phone I actually care about the update is installed. That would be nice.

Until then I think I'll try not to think too much about MFT until after I have the update. I am sure we will have plenty of things to talk about once we have it.

Verizon broke your phone with an update? Wow!

My Verizon Droid X is up to date and works well.

Verizon broke your phone with an update? Wow!

My Verizon Droid X is up to date and works well.

Yes, this is the 2nd family phone ruined by operating system updates. My wife's HTC Eris and my Motorola Droid both have been ruined by automatic updates. You can read about the Eris problem online - they updated a driver incorrectly and never bothered to go back and fix it. My problem didn't impact 100% of the original droids out there, so there isn't as much to read about it.

Verizon thinks that an acceptable solution is to buy a new phone. I replaced the ROM and started using a custom one to buy me some time. The hardware is slowly dying but I've managed to hold out so far.

Now that the performance update is going out in the mail, do we have a new phone compatibility list? Do we need to make a new thread to list phones we own and how it works with the update installed?

Back