Walboro Vs Bosch

shucker1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Metairie, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Price is not the problem.

Doing it once is.

I have read many conflicting views and was soliciting opinions.

The Bosch replacement pump is very good, many good brands are worth it also. Walbro is a good brand, some people say they are louder in the higher volume models.

I'm going to try the one brand next which is lifetime warranted, in the 255lt/hr model, it was also reasonable, about $65.. It was on eBay and Amazon, but the last time I looked on Amazon is was not available then.

Thanks Don.

Just can't seem to find a catalog on the Bosch website.

Everything is directed back to the OEM pump which is going to be too small of an output for what I'm doing.

I'm also thinking that 255 LPH will be more than enough output.

Price is not the problem.

Doing it once is.

I have read many conflicting views and was soliciting opinions.
@shucker1
I was sure you'd know I was joshing you. Sorry. imp

We have had excellent luck with the Bosch oem style replacement pumps and strainers
This is what I install for customers who want a stock replacement pump

I had good results using an inline high volume pump from BBK with two boosted 351W's. I see it is no longer made but there has got to be others out there. It was plug and play other than mounting it to the frame.

I had good results using an inline high volume pump from BBK with two boosted 351W's. I see it is no longer made but there has got to be others out there. It was plug and play other than mounting it to the frame.

@Blown ,

Thanks but I'm not going that crazy.

Just a little old 331 with a mid range cam.

Something fun to drive and pull the boat with.

Not out to chase down Corvette's

What takes time is taking almost every frame component apart by hand and removing mild rust and repainting with POR-15.

This project has been going on for a while....

Chris

@Blown
Ford used inline pumps in F-series pickups for a number of years, with 2 tanks, each having what they called "high-pressure" pumps, and one inline frame-mounted just before the filter, they called that one "low-pressure" pump. Ridiculous as the inline "sees" the same in-tank outlet pressure on it's input. So, I used one of those inlines when I built my '70 Bronco w/5.0HO, it worked just fine, plenty of pressure and volume. Same deal, 1979 Ranchero.

Given how many F-150s are out there, I'd think those inlines are still available aftermarket. They were fatter in diameter, came with a mounting bracket, had 5/16" inlet and outlet. No idea the rating, but maybe greater size was to get more area available for cooling. All these pumps get cooled by the fuel running THROUGH the motor windings, Laugh Out Loud! imp

The inline wasn't for crazy power, I ran 8lbs of boost in a mild build, maxed-out at 10lb boost with no intercooling.....................
Anyway the inline pump was easier to add than dropping the tank and brought-up the volume needed for boost.

Back