Walking Dead - 1999 Explorer 4x4 XLT (174K) - PICS | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Walking Dead - 1999 Explorer 4x4 XLT (174K) - PICS

P0300 random misfires, p0170 and p01704 are lean codes. Replace the spark plugs. Noted you had that in your list earlier but not yet done. Use standard motorcraft or autolite finewire platinums, or coppers if you are going cheap and plan to replace again. Do not put in any of the splitfire, diamond fire, or other gimmick plugs. Check the wires for any cracks or burns while changing them out. Should resolve the misfire and will likely correct the lean as well. Right now the computer will be cutting the fuel supply to compensate for unburned fuel.

Thank you for the advice. I almost ordered new plugs and wires last night as well, but I was afraid to do so until I knew exactly what I needed. I've read online here that the plugs/wires can vary for every 4.0 SOHC, is that correct?

Will the faulty plugs explain why the rough idle goes away when I keep the RPM up, but dies quickly when I let out of the throttle?

I'm torn between the plugs/wires and/or possible vacuum leak/MAF/IAC.

At the end of the day, most of the these things needed changed anyhow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Installed the new MAF first. Runs 1000% better - I'm pretty confident the MAF was the source of the problem. Installed the new IAC too. Issue resolved. Will install the new fuel filter soon.

Hopefully I can get this thing to pass inspection before Thanksgiving.

Go figure. . . CEL came back on. This time the only code is P0174. Any suggestions? The Autozone dude told me it may go away after 200 miles, since I just installed the new parts mentioned above.

Any advice is much appreciated. . .

DSCN1485.jpg

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1493.jpg

Checked the PVC valve and vacuum lines. . . didn't find anything, but I noticed this seal or "gap" between the intake manifold. . . also, isn't that oil residue near the gap? Could upper intake manifold gasket(s) be responsible for the code?

Thanks guys . . .

Checked the PVC valve and vacuum lines. . . didn't find anything, but I noticed this seal or "gap" between the intake manifold. . . also, isn't that oil residue near the gap? Could upper intake manifold gasket(s) be responsible for the code?

Thanks guys . . .

yes. most certainly they can. any un-monitored air entering the engine will throw a lean code.

yes. most certainly they can. any un-monitored air entering the engine will throw a lean code.

Thank you. As depicted in the pictures, is this size of gap depicted normal, especially considering the amount of what looks like fresh oil? (I switched to synthetic oil 30 miles ago . . .)

Thank you. As depicted in the pictures, is this size of gap depicted normal, especially considering the amount of what looks like fresh oil? (I switched to synthetic oil 30 miles ago . . .)

the gaskets are o-ring type and are known to harden and shrink with age. i wouldn't worry about the gap. when the intake manifold bolts are torqued tight, the gap is what it is.

How did you fix the loose door handle? I have the same problem...

my first explorer a 97 sohc with 220k miles ran very rough when cold started in the winter, it would revv up then almost stall out, and repeat over and over till it warmed up. threw a constant CEL that would keep coming back, it was the intake plenum gaskets. I dont remember the code but i think there is a code pointing directly to the gaskets. if your explorer runs rough on a cold start, its definitely your IPG's.

Installed both upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. The problem went away, yet I haven't reset the CEL. Will it go off on its own? Or should I reset it? If I reset it then I will have to drive it longer before I can get it inspected. . . Thank you Explorer Forum for the pictures for all the work done thus far. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy. . . Next week I'll install my new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Oh, also installed the arm rest cover too. The old one had a hole it in.

Installed both upper and lower intake manifold gaskets. The problem went away, yet I haven't reset the CEL. Will it go off on its own? Or should I reset it? If I reset it then I will have to drive it longer before I can get it inspected. . . Thank you Explorer Forum for the pictures for all the work done thus far. It wasn't hard, but it wasn't easy. . . Next week I'll install my new plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Oh, also installed the arm rest cover too. The old one had a hole it in.

they always do. easy fix with a staple gun, a replacement cover and new foam if needed.

they always do. easy fix with a staple gun, a replacement cover and new foam if needed.

Quality is pretty good. The color match couldn't have been better - used Z-Interiors.

Running strong. Waiting for all the the Emission Tests to flip to "ready" soon. Hopefully, I can get this thing licensed soon.

Yet to install the new wires/plugs/fuel filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally passed inspection!!!

Back