Walking Dead - 1999 Explorer 4x4 XLT (174K) - PICS | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Walking Dead - 1999 Explorer 4x4 XLT (174K) - PICS

Congrats! now drive the wheels off it. what do you figure the total cost (with new parts/tires) was?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats! now drive the wheels off it. what do you figure the total cost (with new parts/tires) was?

Excluding the new tires (parents purchased these as an early Christmas present), around $300 dollars. Thankfully, I performed all of the labor, otherwise, it would have cost much much more. . . and for this very reason, I'm going to take advantage of the "2 for 1" Elite Explorer Membership Sale! :salute:

Can someone give me a fair private value price for the explorer? I've looked online and on craigslist, however none of the Explorers seem to be in as good of shape as this one. . . Yet, they're asking 2300 to 3000. I'm ready to sell it here in DFW. I've essentially fixed everything that was wrong/old/worn down - and it now has brand new tires.

Can someone give me a fair private value price for the explorer? I've looked online and on craigslist, however none of the Explorers seem to be in as good of shape as this one. . . Yet, they're asking 2300 to 3000. I'm ready to sell it here in DFW. I've essentially fixed everything that was wrong/old/worn down - and it now has brand new tires.

a lot depends on where you live. 2300-3000 sounds about right for the Atlanta area, but in California they apparently bring more. i paid 2100 and 2300 for my loaded '00 V8 Mountaineers about a year ago.

a lot depends on where you live. 2300-3000 sounds about right for the Atlanta area, but in California they apparently bring more. i paid 2100 and 2300 for my loaded '00 V8 Mountaineers about a year ago.

Thanks, man. I'll keep it, but simply curious.

I'm in the process of fixing a few burnt out bulbs behind the speedometer/tach; however, do I need a specific tool in order to remove the needle(s)? I found a how-to thread for the first generation Explorer, but unable to find anything for the second generation. . . any advice is much appreciated.

You shouldn't need to remove the needles.

The bulbs come out from the back of the cluster.

Removing those needles will create another issue for you........pushing them back on at the correct speed and rpm's.

There is a how-to on removing the cluster somewhere on here.

I think so, but I cant be certain.
It looks like exactly the same unit that was in my 2000 Explorer xls.

Installed new LED cluster bulbs. Now, it looks amazing! I decided to change the license plate bulbs, since one was burnt out, however I discovered a little surprise. One of the bulbs was not out, instead it was empty!! I replaced one bulb, but the other one doesn't have a housing/plug/cable for the bulb - the plastic clear "housing" was simply empty. . . Any chance the wire is hidden behind in the tailgate door? I did my best to find it with a flash light, but it looks like I'm going to have to remove the plastic covering from within in order to find it - this sucks.

Installed new LED cluster bulbs. Now, it looks amazing! I decided to change the license plate bulbs, since one was burnt out, however I discovered a little surprise. One of the bulbs was not out, instead it was empty!! I replaced one bulb, but the other one doesn't have a housing/plug/cable for the bulb - the plastic clear "housing" was simply empty. . . Any chance the wire is hidden behind in the tailgate door? I did my best to find it with a flash light, but it looks like I'm going to have to remove the plastic covering from within in order to find it - this sucks.

there is a very good chance that the socket is hanging inside the lift-gate. it's a little bit of a pita to have to pull the trim panel and weather shield to get at it, but it's not that bad and its a good opportunity to lube up the latches and linkage.

Purchased 20 LED bulbs for $6. . . here are the results so far:

DSCN1610.jpg

DSCN1605.jpg

Looks way better in person, the picture here makes it seem like it is blinding . . .
DSCN1612.jpg

What do you guys think? Good mod?

there is a very good chance that the socket is hanging inside the lift-gate. it's a little bit of a pita to have to pull the trim panel and weather shield to get at it, but it's not that bad and its a good opportunity to lube up the latches and linkage.

It wasn't that bad, actually. Took me 10 minutes - you were right. It was hanging inside the liftgate.

that looks really good! where did you get your LED bulbs and what size(s) were they? are all 20 the same size? other's have posted here, after converting the dash bulbs to LED's, with not so spectacular results. i don't know that i'd pull the cluster to convert, but next time i have a bulb out i certainly would.

that looks really good! where did you get your LED bulbs and what size(s) were they? are all 20 the same size? other's have posted here, after converting the dash bulbs to LED's, with not so spectacular results. i don't know that i'd pull the cluster to convert, but next time i have a bulb out i certainly would.

Here's the Ebay Seller's name I pruchased them from, 20 for $6.92 total, with shipping: finesthair

The title of the item I purchased was "20x T10 5050 W5W 5 SMD 194 168 LED White Car Side Wedge Tail Light Lamp Bulb."

They are 194/168 bulbs, and all twenty are the same.

I highly recommend the swap. It took me less than an hour and was worth every minute. Plus, with 20 bulbs, you'll have numerous bulbs left for the license plate, glovebox, puddle lights, and more.

Here's the Ebay Seller's name I pruchased them from, 20 for $6.92 total, with shipping: finesthair

The title of the item I purchased was "20x T10 5050 W5W 5 SMD 194 168 LED White Car Side Wedge Tail Light Lamp Bulb."

They are 194/168 bulbs, and all twenty are the same.

I highly recommend the swap. It took me less than an hour and was worth every minute. Plus, with 20 bulbs, you'll have numerous bulbs left for the license plate, glovebox, puddle lights, and more.

thanks for the info. i just purchased a set of 20 from the seller for $6.92 w/free shipping. unbelievable price! i'll replace a few easy ones and save the rest for when i'm feeling more ambitious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The radio/internal six cd headunit will pulse and shift between radio and cd for no good reason. Because I have to pull this out in order to fix the dash lights, I'm looking for a cheap OEM replacement. I'm looking for an OEM plug-and-play piece on Ebay.

Will this fit without modification?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Ford-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4615bcdab6&vxp=mtr

Compare the back of both units as you can't tell for sure from the front alone. Best bet is to compare the part # on the one you have with the one you're looking at on e-bay or wherever. The radio with remote cd in my son's '97 Mountaineer wasn't working right so I took one out of a nearly identical '97 Mountaineer at the salvage yard. The fronts looked the same, but the one from the salvage yard had no place to plug in the antenna, and the wiring plugs were different. I took it back and found another one that did work from another Mountaineer. Tried to get one out of a Windstar that was exactly what I needed, but couldn't get 1 screw out. Those Ford models are probably correct, but even then there might be differences from one vehicle to another.

Back