want 38s on my 91 explorer xlt im new at this what do i need??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want 38s on my 91 explorer xlt im new at this what do i need???

codylovesphilly

Reaction score
City, State
stafford virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 91 xlt
so i got a 91 explorer xlt for 500 bucks runs great but i wanna lift it and put some 38s on it but i dont know what i need but i dont want to spend alot i dont mind spending money on stuff that will get me buy i dont need top of the line so if anyone can help it would be nice

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Search a bit but if all else fails, you can get a reciprocating saw for ~$75 and go to town :D

0adc6d53-cf0e-49d2-a921-9381749e56f1_300.jpg

codylovesphilly search the site.

theres, tons and tons of threads to read for a SAS.

Solid Axle Swap (SAS) would probably end up costing you a few thousand (weather in $$ or labor). If you don't care about top of the line:

1) Buy a 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift ($600)
2) Buy 8" Coil Springs & 2" Daystar Coil Spacers for upfront ($300)
3) Do a SOA in the rear. ($100)
4) 3" Body Lift ($150)

I don't know what else you would need, but I would say you could get 13" of lift and probably fit 38s with that set up. Keep in mind the TTB was not made for tires that large, anything of 35 and you risk doing harm to the setup. Some people were alright, other went through bearing and bearing and what not. I would say the above lift isn't the safest lift for driving on the road. If it's an offroad vehicle I wouldn't see why not. It's cheaper then the SAS but wouldn't preform as good as a SAS. You can do that now and then maybe save up to do a SAS, and you would still be able to lift the rear another 6" easily to fit even bigger tires.

Also with 38" tires you're gonna want to regear. Even if your ex has a 4.10 it's still gonna be veryyyy sluggish. Regearing yourself will cost like $700, but getting a shop to do it expect to pay about twice that.

38 = $$$. The rear axle will take it and you can SOA. Front axle, wont last long with 38s. You will need to regear, for any tire larger than 31", IMO. Unless you have lots of money and or mechanical ability, and a shop, 35s is really as large as you should go.

so with that above set up

1) Buy a 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift ($600)
2) Buy 8" Coil Springs & 2" Daystar Coil Spacers for upfront ($300)
3) Do a SOA in the rear. ($100)
4) 3" Body Lift ($150)

35s is as high as i should go will i be alright for a while i mean can i go through a decent size hole???

Your not going to be able to run 10in worth of lift springs with 4in drop brackets its just not happening and if you could get them in there you wont have any flex and your tires are going to be like this \-/ which will be impossibe to align. And if you decide you want to go with 35's then all you need is a 4in susp and 3in body and you wont have near as much trouble out of your front axle compared to 38's

this is very unrealistic. its apparent you know have the knowledge to even search, how are you going to do all that labor yourself to save dough?

yeah well i decided to put 31 10 50s on it because it will lift it a tiny amount and i can go through the mud

transfer case issues

alright well i blew up the trans in my 91 x and im replacing it. well i took both drive shafts off and unbolted the transfer case from the transmission. nothing is holdin the transfer case on the trans why the hell wont it come off any ideas on how to get it off????

alright well i blew up the trans in my 91 x and im replacing it. well i took both drive shafts off and unbolted the transfer case from the transmission. nothing is holdin the transfer case on the trans why the hell wont it come off any ideas on how to get it off????

After you've made sure you removed the 5 bolts then just pry it off with a big flathead or pry bar, but make sure you have something holding it so it does'nt fall on you. That SOB is heavy!

Back