Want to add OEM sub enclosure to aftermarket HU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to add OEM sub enclosure to aftermarket HU

JS81

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased and installed this receiver, and would like to add a little more bass, while keeping the cargo area space.

I considered the MTX drop in enclosure, but the price is kinda high. So my plan was to pick up the OEM enclosure (but new amp and sub) from a junk yard.

What would be the easiest/cheapest way to get to get this connected to my current system? Would I need to grab the harness also? If the install is complicated, I most likely will pay to have it done if that changes anything.

Thanks

JS

edit - forgot to mention, I have a 2001 Explorer Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a pretty common mod. Grab the stock enclosure, mod it for an aftermarket 8" sub, and use an aftermarket amp. It's as simple as wiring the amp for power, plugging the inputs from the HU to the amp, and running the speaker wires from the amp to the sub. Just make sure the sub/amp have the right input/output RMS power ratings for each other and you're good.

Thanks for the quick response.

Any ideas on what years will work for my explorer?

Also, whats the easiest way in locating this? Just driving around to junkyards until I find it, or is there a preferred website or anything?

Thanks!

The enclosure from a 98-01 Sport should be the direct drop in, but the 95-98 had 8" enclosures as well that can fit.

You can find them on ebay for ~$50 with all the amps and stuff, but you can probably just get a bare box from someone on here in the For Sale forum for less. Salvage yards are a good option too, go to any near you and find an Explorer to rip one out of.

You can also find the MTX enclosures and Q-forms being sold in the For Sale forum on here as well, one member just sold their amped MTX enclosure for a heck of a deal.

Thanks! Last question, I promise!

Do I modify/cut my trim, so I just buy the enclosure, or do I need to buy the paneling also?

DON'T modify your interior panel.

You might have to modify the enclosure to get the aftermarket sub and amp to fit.

The only trim you might need to get that you don't already have is the mesh grille to replace the stock cargo basket. Either that or come up with your own design.

attachment.php

th_106_0691.jpg

th_Solobaric2.jpg

th_DSC00451.jpg

I see, so the basket just comes out.

The enclosure in the top pic appears to be different from the bottom pics, are these for different years? Are they interchangeable?

sorry, I know I said last question in my previous post.

The grille detaches on the 91-2001's, but some of the later ones have the grille just as part of the interior panel. Even on the ones with the detachable grille, you still have to remove the whole interior panel first to pop out the retainers for it.

Top pic is from a 2004 XLT, with a shallow Pioneer 10" adapted to fit the stock enclosure.

Bottom pics are of Toypaseo's setup in a 91-94 style, with 8" drivers thrown in a modified factory enclosure.

I haven't seen any 98-01 pics to post, but there might be some.

The more recent enclosures are NOT interchangeable. You can fit the 8" enclosures from 95-98 and maybe 98-01 in place of the 6.5" enclosures in a 91-94 and vice versa, but the 2002+ have a different layout and are totally different behind the panel. My guess is they take up so much room and have so much space behind the panel there's no chance of them fitting behind the panels of earlier models. No reason you'd want to, anyway.

In any case it's not that hard, get the enclosure, pop off the interior panel, get the woofer in the enclosure, bolt it in, bolt the amp on, wire it all and enjoy the sounds.

Back