• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

want to do a sas with sami transfer case

98sport4.0L

Reaction score
City, State
Northern AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 exploder sport 4x2
ok got one for you guys I picked up a 98 sport 4x2 for 200. I want to do a wagoneer or dana 30 sas in the front and run a divorced transfer case so I dont have to change the tranny. Any one thought of running a sami divorced case? They say that they will hold up to a 4.3L. I found one with a low range of 4:1 for $600 :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

crazyflights

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 1 ton Jeep
anything is possible.

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
If you can't afford to buy a 4wd explorer, you can't afford to change a 2wd explorer to 4wd.

That said, you can probably find an explorer transfer case and transmission for the swap for $600 pretty easy, and there are plenty of SAS threads on here to get you more direction for adding a front axle... You would be better off starting with a 4wd Explorer though if you want 4wd. Plus, Dana 30s are weak.

Here is the SAS registry to get you a bit of direction on what the swap entails.

Turdle

Habla tortuga
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
He meant Sammi case, as in from a Suzuki Samurai.

I have seen a ranger that was 2wd converted to passenger side sas using a divorced nissan transfer case. It worked better than what I was driving.

edit--you can kind of see it in these pictures. He had to make a custom transfer case mount--cage

KeithsRangerSideflex.jpg

Keithunderbelly.jpg

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
That makes sense. Drank too much today.

98sport4.0L

Reaction score
City, State
Northern AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 exploder sport 4x2
that is what I was looking for. don't worry I can afford it i just like putting my money in places that need it like HORSEPOWER and saftey.....LOL anyway just picked up a 3/4 ton chevy 44 front and a 14 bolt rear. I am going leafs in the front seems like everyone is using wagoneer leafs anyone try yj or toyota leafs?

FIND

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
YJs are a lot lighter than an explorer.