want to do a sas with sami transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want to do a sas with sami transfer case

98sport4.0L

Reaction score
City, State
Northern AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 exploder sport 4x2
ok got one for you guys I picked up a 98 sport 4x2 for 200. I want to do a wagoneer or dana 30 sas in the front and run a divorced transfer case so I dont have to change the tranny. Any one thought of running a sami divorced case? They say that they will hold up to a 4.3L. I found one with a low range of 4:1 for $600 :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anything is possible.

If you can't afford to buy a 4wd explorer, you can't afford to change a 2wd explorer to 4wd.

That said, you can probably find an explorer transfer case and transmission for the swap for $600 pretty easy, and there are plenty of SAS threads on here to get you more direction for adding a front axle... You would be better off starting with a 4wd Explorer though if you want 4wd. Plus, Dana 30s are weak.

Here is the SAS registry to get you a bit of direction on what the swap entails.

He meant Sammi case, as in from a Suzuki Samurai.

I have seen a ranger that was 2wd converted to passenger side sas using a divorced nissan transfer case. It worked better than what I was driving.

edit--you can kind of see it in these pictures. He had to make a custom transfer case mount--cage

KeithsRangerSideflex.jpg

Keithunderbelly.jpg

That makes sense. Drank too much today.

that is what I was looking for. don't worry I can afford it i just like putting my money in places that need it like HORSEPOWER and saftey.....LOL anyway just picked up a 3/4 ton chevy 44 front and a 14 bolt rear. I am going leafs in the front seems like everyone is using wagoneer leafs anyone try yj or toyota leafs?

YJs are a lot lighter than an explorer.

Back