Want to do all mods i can over time. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to do all mods i can over time.

MekMan

Reaction score
City, State
Milford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello to everyone. I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Lewis, I'm currently a industrial production mechanic with an Associates in Electronic Engineering. I recently traded my quarter million mile Toyota Camry in for a 2015 Ford Explorer XLT 2.0L EB FWD ( if not AWD I prefer FWD ). So far I really do like it.

SO TO MY QUESTION. HAS ANYONE SET UP AN OIL CATCH CAN? AND WHAT KIT DID YOU END UP GOING WITH? I HAVE THE BOOMBA VACUUM ACTUATED BOV INSTALLED ALREADY AND IN LOVE IT. BUT I BELIEVE I CAN GET A THROTTLE BODY SPACER AS WELL AS A INTAKE MANIFOLD SPACER FOR IT AND I WANT TO DO THE OCC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I'M NOT REALLY SURE WHAT KIT WOULD POSSIBLY HOOK RIGHT UP IN LINE WITH THE FACTORY SETUP?

I appreciate any input. Good luck to all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

Please use the search function. It works very well and just about any modification to an Explorer has already been discussed.

Welcome to the ForumMekMan. :wave:
Becoming familiar with the 'Search' feature (upper right0 would be very helpful. There are not many things here that haven't already been discussed over the past 13 or so in the 5th gen forums.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Peter

Just get a tune with high octane fuel and enjoy it. That's gonna be the best bang for your buck. Leave the stock airbox and throttle body etc that stuff doesn't matter until your swapping to big turbo.

I use the JLT oil catch can and it works well. Stops all the milky condensation in the cold weather too

To me, the tune is the starting point. I for one, love to upgrade. Limit is the pocketbook. Catch can, PTU oil change (where applicable), intake valve cleaning are all nice preventative measures. CAI, throttle valve spacers, exhaust upgrades all have arguable results. Some push 160 degree thermostat and 3 bar air mass sensor, but tune must accompany changing air mas sensor(ask me how i know). Now, lets look at suspension. I preferred to go with Steeda. With each purchase, i noticed a positive change. Rear Sway Bar, along with trailing arm was first. Waiting on my lowering springs to install on my Bilstein B6 struts, so i can install all at once. I love the look of the red sport caliper covers and have always ran the drilled and slotted rotors on my vehicles. I went ahead and got the rotors and covers to add to the mix. I originally purchased a level kit for front end, but decided to go lowering springs for handling, leveling and aerodynamics(was told lifting would actually cost me some mpg. Sounded legit.
In addition, i also replaced the torque mounts on the transmission, (beware, these will result in vibration and some noise, because they are closer to solid mounts so you feel engine and transmission vibrations). Anyway, choose you path, research the parts and search for the best prices. By the way, i have or am in the process of doing everything i have mentioned with no regrets. All this is on 2017 Platinum.

Back