Want to install SYNC 3 in a 2013 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to install SYNC 3 in a 2013 Explorer

superthrust

Reaction score
City, State
Kalamazoo, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT

I am trying to find out how to install and reprogram SYNC3 to a 2013...I know how to work with code and am comfortable doing all the work.​

It seems all of FORScan is in READ ONLY due to them not being able to operate after being denied their money from banks due to the whole Russian crap going on

Is there any method of software I can get to do the programming of everything i need to do to grab a FULL sync 3 unit from a junkyard and install it in my 2013 Ford Explorer?

I REALLY dont want to pay close to $1000 for soemthing i can get myself MUCH cheaper at a junkyard and program myself.

is there anything anyone can suggest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are several members that have installed Sync 3 in their 2016 Explorer but I believe the architecture changed in the 2016+ models.
If you do a 'Search' on "Sync 3 in a 22016" you will find several threads including FORScan mentions.

Peter

Have you tried to get the 2 month free extended license?

Get Hardware ID Standard and Extended licenses for Windows, version 2 - FORScan forum
Get two month license Support Request

They don't have to suspend that because no payment needs processed. However I would wait until you need to use it, to enter the license key generated.
Im only concerned because they just put out a new news posting that says they are suspending the generation of extended license keys due to ongoing **** in russia...

But yes, I will give that a try and hope it works.

Now im just trying to figure out how to code it myself because, with money so tight, im trying to code it myself without paying someone to do something i feel confident to do.

You need all the sync3 hardware as well. Once you acquire all the components the APIM needs to be programmed. Ive never done it however I'm sure its on YouTube if you search for how-to video. All in all expect to pay $1000 for total conversion using oem parts. There are cheaper china kits available on ebay

You need all the sync3 hardware as well. Once you acquire all the components the APIM needs to be programmed. Ive never done it however I'm sure its on YouTube if you search for how-to video. All in all expect to pay $1000 for total conversion using oem parts. There are cheaper china kits available on ebay
much cheaper if i pull some off at a junkyard. which i am VERY well versed in doing. (i used to do stereo installs and custom sound comp stuff)

I am sure I read about several sources that can take your VIN and generate a Forscan As Build file to program your vehicle for Sync3. May look into that if you get junkyard hardware and the Forscan is locked.

I am sure I read about several sources that can take your VIN and generate a Forscan As Build file to program your vehicle for Sync3. May look into that if you get junkyard hardware and the Forscan is locked.
i would LOVE to see where i can do soemthing like this without having to pay for the file.

I am COMPLETELY against paying someone to make or generate a file for me for FORscan if i can do it myself, or learn to do it myself.

Also, it seems there is someone in my area doing it because most of the 2017+ vehicles i went looking for have been picked clean...sneaky *******s!

^ I doubt that is the reason for the console missing, more like they are failure prone and expensive to buy new. Tech for the win! Not!

to be honest if you are willing to spend $1000 for stink3 i would spend the same and go after market and gain wireless android auto/carplay
I did the full treatment on my 2016 SHO and it was well worth the $1200 and $800 of that is because i went with the dmh-w6600nex pioneer
it should be identical to the taurus so you just need the kit-mft1, ads-mrr and any idata link compatible short chassis double din head unit

Forscan free extended licenses are still available and can do everything but upgrade firmware (mainly needed for 3.4 and dangerous unless you have the right usb adapter). As for the hardware, if you want to skip the pain of collecting it up hit Mitral Shah on facebook, he's on a bunch of ford/explorer/sync 3 groups, sells the whole package programmed and ready to go starting around 650 last I looked as long as you already have sync 2.

Back