Want to modify 2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 (53K miles) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to modify 2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 (53K miles)

Watch that Cooper Evolution HT tire then. I got the 245's for $404, and then two days later wondered what the 255's were. That's when I saw the eBay 8% bucks deal, and a 10% rebate from Discount Tire. If I'd waited two days, I could have gotten about $73 back in credits. I think they will be good tires, so far Coopers are above average in all categories for me. Michelin's were only slightly better, but at $40-$60 more each, too much.

Thanks for all the input on tires. Another issue I had was on the inside the black plastic center piece that goes around the radio and buttons up front is kinda melted and sticky and scratched up a lot. Also the cigarette lighter outlet is broken, and it broke and fell into the inside of the front area if that makes any sense. Would it be possible to just get a replacement dash piece for cheap? Also cruise control buttons on steering wheel are completely destroyed, is it easy to replace those?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cruise buttons are easy to replace. You can also get a screw on replacement for the 12v plug.

I’d just do regular maintenance as suggested by the others here. You really shouldn’t turn the wheel all the way against the lock, that’s not really recommended in most cars. Surely change the brake fluid.

Don’t worry about your torque converter, there’s no reason to replace it.

The cruise buttons are easy to replace. You can also get a screw on replacement for the 12v plug.

I’d just do regular maintenance as suggested by the others here. You really shouldn’t turn the wheel all the way against the lock, that’s not really recommended in most cars. Surely change the brake fluid.

Don’t worry about your torque converter, there’s no reason to replace it.

I attached an image of the cigarette lighter/dash issue and pictures of the truck right now.

D16AC581-06CB-47E9-A168-1CF63B9BECA2.jpeg
D0A54E89-8E20-4EE2-ACE8-D95DBC815D67.jpeg

D43D741A-1821-4E7E-96EF-E91B51506EAC.jpeg

Also, not sure if there’s much I can do with the interior, but here’s a picture.

217E0E4A-0847-42D0-8E33-2BCD97549873.jpeg

Yeah, that can be fixed. It’s really common for them to crack and break out. You’ll have to remove the bezel (2 screws)

Yeah, that can be fixed. It’s really common for them to crack and break out. You’ll have to remove the bezel (2 screws)

Are replacement bezels available anywhere? Where are the screws?

Screws are under the radio. I doubt there are new bezels.

Go to the junkyard for a bezel. I have gotten 2 to replace for double din radios

Underneath the radio, in the bezel, are two screws. Look for them and you’ll find them.

Ditto, check out eBay or a JY for the radio bezel, they used to cost $25-$50 depending on the features and condition. Now is the time to hunt used parts, there are plenty in JY's, but soon they will decline fast.

The CC buttons are very fragile, find new or used but be gentle with them while driving.

Ditto, check out eBay or a JY for the radio bezel, they used to cost $25-$50 depending on the features and condition. Now is the time to hunt used parts, there are plenty in JY's, but soon they will decline fast.

The CC buttons are very fragile, find new or used but be gentle with them while driving.

Would it look good if I just completely remove the CC buttons and don’t replace them? I probably won’t ever use them, and as long as it doesn’t look bad without them I don’t see a reason to get them. I’ve never taken them off, so I don’t know how it looks without them.

That would leave an unsightly hole, it wouldn't be good.

I have a set that I bought new from Ford, and at some point I caught one while turning the wheel, and it pulled the switch out. I pushed it back in, but the CC hasn't worked since before the new switches. I don't know if my switches are bad now, I've figured it's the clock spring broken, since I replaced everything else.

Having owned four 5.0L Explorers/Mountaineers, finding one with only 53K on it I wouldn't "modify" anything. Do fluid and filter changes and general maintenance items for piece of mind, lower it a bit if you must (I wouldn't) and drive it. It should have around 250K + miles left in it. The look of the Gen II's is now pretty dated and while I like the look, there's not a lot you can do to make it look better.

The truck weights around 4,000 pounds and despite have the 5.0L V8 it's no hot rod and unless you want to put a blower on it performance is okay, but it's not a 5.0L Mustang.
how would one go about putting a blower on a 00' 5.0 xlt 2wd?

Back