Want to Modify the engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to Modify the engine

max900

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
Hey there I have a 96 4.0L V6 Sport Explorer & I want to swap the engine + gearbox with a V8.
Can I fit a Crown Victoria's V8+gearbox ?
or
What is the best V8 engine to fit in my explorer's engine bay?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im guessing the 302 that also comes in the Explorers should fit just fine

It would be much easier, and cost effective, to simply sell the one you have and go buy a V8 Explorer.

You can't just swap the engine. The trans is completely different, as is the transfer case. Then, of course, there is the issue of the ecm, which then involves the GEM, not to mention the wire harness differences. Depending on the donor vehicle, you may also have a compatability issue with the fuel system (return-less, or return style). There is way more involved then you think.

It would be much easier, and cost effective, to simply sell the one you have and go buy a V8 Explorer.

You can't just swap the engine. The trans is completely different, as is the transfer case. Then, of course, there is the issue of the ecm, which then involves the GEM, not to mention the wire harness differences. Depending on the donor vehicle, you may also have a compatability issue with the fuel system (return-less, or return style). There is way more involved then you think.
x2.

i was wanting to throw a v8 in my 97 and after pricing everything out, time involved, ect (< and believe me, its a lot of ect,..).... i will gladly hit craigslist and find me a $1500 - $2k v8 explorer. then be able to choose what explorer fits my needs for that day:salute:

but more power to ya if you decide to go your route.

But I have a thing for 2Door cars & that's why I choose my Sport coz of her 2Door style
I know the V8 explorer but its a 4Door car
Some say that the mustang's engine can fit easily since the parts are interchangeable between it & the explorer
Have any one tried it b4?

The block is the onlything that is the same as an Explorer 5.0

Again your 4.0 transmission will not bolt up to to the V8. Even if it did it would not last long. Your only real option is a donor 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer.

First, you would have to have a V8 Explorer/Mountaineer to take the engine out of. Then you would need to remove all the wiring harnesses and sensors from both vehicles that have any thing to do with engine management or transmission management, Then you have to rewire in the harnesses from the V8 to your V6 truck, and get all the sensor wiring in the right spots with the sensor(s). Then you would have to change the exhaust system, swap ECM, and Gem, swap tranmissions, transfercase along with your engine. Your truck would then be an AWD vehicle. To make it into a 4X4 would take different driveshafts and a different transfercase. This is only a partial list of what is needed, from what I have read on a different forum. If you want to read up on what you would expect to spend $$$$$ wise and time wise, click this link.
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172714
OR this one
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12
How much time do you have to do the swap?

seems like you guys have a pretty dismal outlook on v8 swaps

seems like you guys have a pretty dismal outlook on v8 swaps

No, not really, just stating what he would have to do. Wouldn't you want the truth up front instead of someone glossing it over and making it sound easy?
I posted 2 links to a forum that is dripping with all the information about that swap because it has been done many times and well documented by the members. Wasn't trying to scare him away from doing it, but for him to research his project properly before diving in and not knowing what he was getting himself into.

x2

thanx guys for ur enlightenment on this issue
the problem here is my V6 is too weak, 4 speed only on the gear, low outcome power
& thats why i thought of the swap with a V8 & 5 speed tran
but since its a huge time & money consuming (wow)

how about some small steps & tricks to try to peak my current V6 & try to get the maximum power of that engine

what do you guys suggest i should do without compromising the engine or causing troubles for it?

upgrades to your intake and exhaust will work together to improve horsepower and torque, and I've heard that a tune will help maximize the effects of that power gain.

do you have the SOHC or OHV version of the 4.0?

upgrades to your intake and exhaust will work together to improve horsepower and torque, and I've heard that a tune will help maximize the effects of that power gain.

do you have the SOHC or OHV version of the 4.0?

pssst 96 means OHV

Don't be surprised if a V8 swap ends up costing you about $3k. If you buy a donor vehicle, most likely it will be higher mileage and you will be doing preventative maintenance while it is out so that adds cost for parts as well. My swap cost me a decent amount because my donor drivetrain had 45k miles on it and I did a bunch of engine mods at the same time.

Back