want to put my 02 on solid axles/w 40's need some help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want to put my 02 on solid axles/w 40's need some help?

goddard3100

Reaction score
City, State
north bay, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
i have an 2002 ford explorer 4wd 4dr with ifs & irs suspension i would like to rip all that out and put in soild axles front and rear. problely dana 60's to run 40's it's no small task with all the suspension problems.dose not need to be no rock crawler. just some thing to get muddy and look good.. i have the money for the mods but don't know if it is posible or were to get it done.. any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything is possible with the right amount of money. Basically your going to have to rebuild the enitre suspension. It will need at least a 6-8" lift, to get the axles to clear the frame. I honestly think it would a lot more cost effective for you to go and buy a 1g or 2g if you want something to put solid axles under.

It's gonna cost at least 15 grand. Wanna spend the money? Go right ahead.

Wanna save some money? Buy something older to build.

ur crazy man!!!!!! hahah
j602 how do u figure 15 grand? if u dont mind me askin!!!! it will b all custom but i dont see spendin any more then 8 or 9
cus wuts the cost of sas'n a g2 x like 5 if done by ur self\ i mean i see labor will be a big chump of change here!!!!IDK!!!!!

My guess would be 10-12k to get a pro shop to do the work for you.

Michael's 3 link, coilover, SAS cost about 6k at a high end shop. Adding the solid rear axle shouldn't be nearly as hard as the front if you go with leaf springs. If you link the rear it will be much more expensive. If you go leaf springs all the way around it should cost less than what I stated above.

I'm guessing he doesn't have the know how to do it himself.

SAS: Steel, links, axles, gears, lockers, springs, shocks, steering, wheels, tires, labor - 15 grand.

do you know of any shop down there. if i can find a good one i'll just ship my truck there on a flatbed. and i think an 02 would look cool on 40's . to many people have already done the G1 G2 explorer's. i want to stand out from the crowd... thanks for your input...

amen to that man... there need to be some badass third gens out there....

just like the '07s.. explorers keep getting more "luxirious" per say

need to bulk that beast up

i fully support ur cause but sorry idk where ud be able to find a solid axle

if u get the work done then def post cuz this is something i wanna see

goddard3100 said:
do you know of any shop down there. if i can find a good one i'll just ship my truck there on a flatbed.

I know killer shops down here. PM me and I'll give you details. I would be happy to drop in to photograph the progress as well. That's one of the things I do...

www.fstmotorsports.com I did all the project photos for them. I have something else in mind though, so Private Message me. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?

id love to see fst tackle this one

Back