Want to upgrade from 4.2 to MFT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to upgrade from 4.2 to MFT

Beni

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Just bought a 2011 XLT for the wife. Its great...except it only has the basic 4.2 screen which doesn't have anything useful. How hard is it to buy a complete bezel and 8 inch MFT (ebay, salvage yard, etc) and swap it in? I've seen other Explorer install videos online, so that doesn't bother me. I'm just curious if it is a plug and play deal or am I in for a nightmare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I get a chance I'll compare some wiring diagrams and see what is involved. I think I have seen a guy do the same to a Taurus.

Parameters will have to programmed to the unit but tools are available (some are cheap too).

Contact or review posts by jmr061.
This is 1 of his his sites;
http://www.fordpimods.com/
The process is listed on his other site that is only about installing MFT.

Does it have SYNC?

The SM lists three systems, premium (4.2" display with no SYNC), premium plus (8" MFT non sony) and the MFT w/Sony.

If the SM is correct and you don't have even the base SYNC system, adding MFT will be a total nightmare.

It's pretty basic, so I'm assuming it has no synch. So...nightmare it is. Agh

Hello,
Can any of you advise on whether I can install the Sony system found on the limited edition on my Base 2014 explorer? If so how much does it cost usually and is it hard to install?

Thanks a lot

Hello,
Can any of you advise on whether I can install the Sony system found on the limited edition on my Base 2014 explorer? If so how much does it cost usually and is it hard to install?

Thanks a lot
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one.

Peter

Does anybody know if it's possible to swap out the displays and have everything work fine?

Does anybody know if it's possible to swap out the displays and have everything work fine?
Welcome to the Forum:wave:
There was a thread where it showed a DIY video of this being done but I haven't been able to find it yet. There is a very handy 'Search' feature (upper right) on this Forum that can be very useful at times.

Peter

Check out Radio-upgrade.com. Not OEM but looks like a cool plug and play alternative

Back