• Register Today It's free!

Wanting to clean my MAF & IAC

Knox5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Knox, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
I did some searching on the site and read that most people use MAF cleaner and electrical contact cleaner to clean their maf's and iac's. Is it ok to use throttle body cleaner on them also?

On a side note, i was going to clean my throttle body too but when i took the intake hose off, the inside of the throttle body said not to clean it due to a special coating? Can it not be cleaned?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner only or you will ruin it. As for the IAC throttle body cleaner is fine.

I would just clean them both with the maf cleaner, you can get it at any auto parts store. As for the throttle body, there is a special coating to prevent stuff from sticking to it. And if you clean it there is the chance that it will gum up and stick open when you don't want it to.

Clean the MAF with MAF cleaner only or you will ruin it. As for the IAC throttle body cleaner is fine.

I would just clean them both with the maf cleaner, you can get it at any auto parts store. As for the throttle body, there is a special coating to prevent stuff from sticking to it. And if you clean it there is the chance that it will gum up and stick open when you don't want it to.

Thanks. I'll go ahead and buy the MAF cleaner just to be safe. I was only asking because i already had some throttle body cleaner available. I think i'll leave the throttle body alone too. Dont want to take any chances.

I think the throttle body cleaner is the same kind of mild solvent as electrical contact cleaners, or a MAF cleaner. I didn't know that there was a specific MAF cleaner, I've always used TB or electrical contact cleaners.

Thanks. I'll go ahead and buy the MAF cleaner just to be safe. I was only asking because i already had some throttle body cleaner available. I think i'll leave the throttle body alone too. Dont want to take any chances.

Just to let you know I never had any luck cleaning and IAC, I always had to replace them when they went bad.

So CRC electrical contact cleaner will not work? Should it be specifically MAF cleaner--thanks

So CRC electrical contact cleaner will not work? Should it be specifically MAF cleaner--thanks

I believe the electrical contact cleaner will work also.

I am sure it will work but the MAF cleaner is pretty cheap and available just about anywhere, I would just use the MAF cleaner.

That's good to know since I already dumped a whopping $8 on a can of the crap. Of all the repairs and maintenance I've ever done, I can honestly say I've stayed away from cleaning mafs.

Back