Wanting to install HID headlights on my car | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanting to install HID headlights on my car

I have a 98 ford explorer, I don't know what type And size of bulbs but i really like the color temperature 10000k. A friend of mine recommended me to get a HID Xenon conversion Kit because they are best but he didn't explain why, don't know if he knows **** about cars anyway. I plan on buying it online and most likely Ebay, and i been looking at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/180467821569?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_6931wt_920

If you know more about HID headlights and have some experience please let me know, feel free to post a reply!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's odd your name is DDM because there is a company called DDM Tuning that sells nice HID kits. $40 for a 35 Watt slim ballast kit. A lot of people use them.

IMO I wouldn't go with 10k. Most I would go is 8k. You lose the point of HIDs once you get past that point. The idea is to see better and after 8k you lose that.

Yea I have noticed that after registering and reading a couple posts. Would any of their lights fit on my 98 ford explorer?

So would the 10k are too dark then? Because I want something that's going to bright up the road and also keep it in style haha.

EDIT//

I was reading at DDM Tunning and it says that "55w kits tend to wash out some of the color of the HID bulb due to the light output( for example, a 55w 8000k will look similar in color to a 35w 6000k kit)", So I should be fine with a 55w, 10000K right. It would drop down to a really bright looking 8000k.

There are approximately 1,237,976 posts in the archives related to HID lighting. Please search around. This is a VERY common topic.

There are almost as many discussing how poor the quality of the lighting is when you simply put a HID kit into 2nd generation Explorer headlights without projectors. Glare, glare, glare (especially with the poseur blue light over 6000K), blotchy beams etc.

Please do your homework before being another obnoxious HID owner on the road. ;)

Then I would not just need new bulbs but replace the headlights with projectors?

Its good you told me this as i was about to purchase the Hid kits. Would you know where i can buy the projectors for my 1998 ford explorer?

Another quick question. I don't know if my explorer uses 2 different bulbs for high and low beam or just 1 for both high/low beams.. Would you know that?

Then I would not just need new bulbs but replace the headlights with projectors?

Its good you told me this as i was about to purchase the Hid kits. Would you know where i can buy the projectors for my 1998 ford explorer?

Another quick question. I don't know if my explorer uses 2 different bulbs for high and low beam or just 1 for both high/low beams.. Would you know that?

Your truck takes 9007 bulbs which is one bulb combining high and low (i.e. two filaments). It's not so simple with HID bulbs.

I discussed some projector options Dead Link Removed.

There really are a ton of posts on these topics in the Performance Lighting Forum.

Talk about homework.....Have you not even looked at your headlights to see if there are one or two bulbs in there?

Come On Man........:rolleyes:

So I did some more research, read around here and checked my explorer lights.

I read that some HID kits come with a halogen bulb mounted on top of the HID bulb that will light when the high beams are turned on. I would appreciate if i can find a kit like this, as I tend to go camping with my family during summer. Alot of deer and other wild life by the road.

On DDM Tunning under "DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W)" they have a option to get 9007/HB5 Hi/Lo Beam, Would that be what i want?
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I don't mind if my Highs are HIDs or not. I just want to make sure I still have my Highs when I have the Low HIDs lows installed.

So I did some more research, read around here and checked my explorer lights.

I read that some HID kits come with a halogen bulb mounted on top of the HID bulb that will light when the high beams are turned on. I would appreciate if i can find a kit like this, as I tend to go camping with my family during summer. Alot of deer and other wild life by the road.

On DDM Tunning under "DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast (35W or 55W)" they have a option to get 9007/HB5 Hi/Lo Beam, Would that be what i need?

I don't mind if my Highs are HIDs or not. I just want to make sure I still have my Highs when I have the Low HIDs lows installed.

The kits with the little halogen bulb on them are complete crap, I can tell you from experience since that was the kit i had. The halogen bulb on those did absolutely nothing except make the light a little yellower. I also have a friend that has a DDM bixenon 9007 plug and play kit in his 97 Explorer, and all it does is move the light blotches around when you change it to high beam. By doing a plug and play HID kit in our headlights housings, you're simply never going to have the adequate high beam (or low beam really) you need for dark roads since the housings were not designed for HIDs.

I agree with Meangreen. Bi-xenon HID kits blow.

Yea i understand that, i plan on replacing the headlights with some nice projectors when i get some money. Hm, So do you guys think I would be fine to get low beamed HIDs on my trucks until i buy the projectors?

I'm reading more related threads to keep the questions to minimum!

If you're going with a straight HID kit in your existing headlights, expect blotchy, unfocused light. Make sure to spend a LOT of time aiming your lights because you will blind oncoming traffic otherwise, especially with anything over 6000K. Those blue cast lights are obnoxious. Keep in mind that OEM systems in high-end vehicles that come with them use 4300K capsules. It's the projectors that make them "appear" bluish to oncoming traffic. To the driver, they're white. Blue also works against you in certain conditions (rainy, overcast days for example).

You want to understand HID? Go to hidplanet.com. Great resource.

If you're going with a straight HID kit in your existing headlights, expect blotchy, unfocused light. Make sure to spend a LOT of time aiming your lights because you will blind oncoming traffic otherwise, especially with anything over 6000K. Those blue cast lights are obnoxious. Keep in mind that OEM systems in high-end vehicles that come with them use 4300K capsules. It's the projectors that make them "appear" bluish to oncoming traffic. To the driver, they're white. Blue also works against you in certain conditions (rainy, overcast days for example).

You want to understand HID? Go to hidplanet.com. Great resource.

Could you break it down for me? I don't know what you are talking about.

Those are pretty good looking Tekman. How easy was it to install those projectors with the HIDs?

Break what down?

With all due respect, I've given you lots of advice and links to resources both on and off the site. It's all up to you now.

Good luck.

Factory equipped HID's have a 4300k color temp like 90% of the time. anything over the 5000k range is illegal.

Installing a "low beam only" PnP kit in a 9007 housing fixes the bulb into the high beam position. On a 9007 bulb the low beam filament is off focus and the high beam is dead on in the housing. So putting a non moving HID capsule there fixes the bulb into the high beam....

Simply put, they suck, you won't see crap, and it'll annoy other drivers.

Installing a "low beam only" PnP kit in a 9007 housing fixes the bulb into the high beam position. On a 9007 bulb the low beam filament is off focus and the high beam is dead on in the housing. So putting a non moving HID capsule there fixes the bulb into the high beam....

Simply put, they suck, you won't see crap, and it'll annoy other drivers.

I didn't know that. Makes sense to me now because in order to keep from blinding oncoming drivers, I had to aim the lights WAY down over stock and to the right a bit when I used straight HIDs. It was such a hassle to get them right and then the beam pattern looked so crappy anyhow. My wife even noticed them and she never notices things on my truck. ;)

HID (High Intensity Discharge) refers to lighting technology that relies on an electrical charge to ignite xenon gas contained in a sealed bulb. Here are some information of HID lights 4300K – OEM color found on most vehicles with factory HID,6000K – Like OEM color but with a whiter tint,8000K – Carries a slight tint of blue,10000K – Similar to 8000K but a bit bluer tinted. So now you can choose which one is good you. They enhance the quality of car, and far much better than rest lights. And there are much better websites than e bay, where you can get your desire HID.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just recently bought an hid kit for my 98 explorer for the fog lights and it will not work. Dont fully understand why i bought the kid from DDM tuning but it just doesnt want to fit the right way. anyone else know a good instruction manual or can anyone instruct me on it. Really bothering me now. Thanks they are 880/899 bulbs. all were the same catagory.

Back