Wanting to install nitrous, what all will I need? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanting to install nitrous, what all will I need?

Hello all, I just joined up a couple of days ago and have spent quite a bit of time here researching threads and checking out everyone's rides. I'm very impressed with the site.

I've done extensive mods to my sport trac, and I'm wanting to add a Nitrous system. I'm fairly set on a 75 shot dry system, but up for suggestions.

What all will I need to make this system work safely for my set up, including other engine mods that I should do for adding nitrous? What are the best systems/kits on the market?

Here are the current mods that I have:

- Flowmaster 50 series exhaust
- MAC Intake
- Pro-M MAF Sensor
- Apten Single Chip with 91 Octane setting
- Poweraid TBS in the very near future

Any suggestions on types/manufacturers/experience would be appreciated.

One last question, or more like a confirmation, will I have to send my chip to Brian to have it reflashed for a nitrous system?

Thanks in advance!

Jerry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i would say go with the nos 05115 kit and go with a small inline fuel pump. i would have apten redo the chip and you dont need any TB spacer.

With a 75 shot your OEM fuelpump will work fine.You will need a reburn on the Apten and would suggest running colder plugs.
Ck out Nitrous Express on the web,I ordered the all ford EFI stage 1 system,P/N 20922.
I can also direct you to a dealer that sells the same kit alot cheaper

A reburn of your chip is necessary to shoot Nitrous. The chip advances timing too much for the nitrous shot unless recalibrated. I find that a flip chip is best and quick; when the bottle is empty or not being used, I place it on the program with more timing advancement for more performance. Too lean means real bad things can happen!

spindle, why did you go with the nirtous express over the Zex kit?

Regarding the Apten chip and Nitrous use, would the chip be reburned to act like the vehicle was always running on Nitrous, or should I get a dual phase chip that I can switch back and forth for when I plan on using it? Will I have any effects from reburning the chip for nitrous while I'm not using it? ie, performance, mileage, shifting etc.

I might be able to get the Poweraid TBS fairly inexpensive, and I'm getting it mainly for curiousity sake. I'm going to try and get some dyno time and run with and without it to see the difference it actually makes in the numbers.

Thanks for the input.

My son runs an 01 trac with a NOS system, intake and exhaust mods only, no chip, no problems so far, He also has a Roush stang with A nitrous Express system (300 shot) on a built engine. :eek
I called ZEX direct, they had not a clue as to what I needed nor how to install such a system, never returned phone calls or answered emails.
NE had all the answeres and knew exactily what was needed to do a safe install, great tech dept.
As to the chip, am certain that perfnuts advice is right on, am working with W,Foy to get my flasher set up for both programs :D

Experience and established knowledge suggests that 75 to 100 shots of NO2 with a dry system on a stock ECU are tolerable (stock injectors, fuel pump, etc. should be able to compensate in the V-8) . Dry set-up is a relatively easy install. Wet systems that add extra fuel can obviously go higher on stock programming, but part of the "package" in the install should involve electronic reprogramming and fuel supply enhancements.

Can a single program chip be sent back to Apten and have a dual program burned into it, or would I have to get a new chip if I went with a dual program job?

Also, if I have the single program chip reburned for nitrous, will it effect my day to day performance when I am not using it? I'd like to be able to keep a single program chip and leave it on one setting, but I'd be willing to switch back and forth if the program for nitrous isn't ideal for running without. I don't plan to use the nitrous every day, just would be nice to have for those "occassions"

For me it's in the works maybe one setting on one chip, is still being worked out.do not think alot of people on this site have set up a mild occasional street application.
Alot of full race members have with great info and success.
Me thinks some more reaserch is warranted.
I work on this every day as to octane ratings and plug heat ranges, trying to get some info, when I find the answeres as to heat range, copper plugs, octane ratings using NOX,,will post my findings.
do not think this is something a daily driver should fiddle with, without perfect info

Back