Wanting to lift my truck

kindaclean93

Reaction score
City, State
cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer EB
[Links included]
How's this for a lift? I don't wanna go any higher than 4". Also open to suggestions for other lifts, I'm gonna be running 31's on stock rims.
Body lifts also welcome for suggestion. Gonna get my 4WD working eventually, so I'm hoping a lift would give me a good excuse to pull a few things apart and see perhaps what's wrong with it.

That Skyjacker lift is a GREAT way to get started. Their coils ride really really nice. I have installed it on a few rangers and it yields almost exactly 1.75" of lift in the front which is perfect because any more and you would not be able to align it easily

You will need these:

Camber shims

That Skyjacker lift is a GREAT way to get started. Their coils ride really really nice. I have installed it on a few rangers and it yields almost exactly 1.75" of lift in the front which is perfect because any more and you would not be able to align it easily

You will need these:

Camber shims
Thank you! I wasn't entirely sure of what else I needed, but those shims are it yeah?

You will need shocks, I am surprised it does not come with new front shocks.

Skyjacker black max shocks are very good I am running them on our full size trucks
Buy shocks for a +2 lift in the front, rear shocks factory length will still work fine

So the lift kit comes with new front coils that will get you 1.75" of lift (I can almost guarantee!)
You need the camber shims I posted (or similar, sold under many diff names) These are adjustable from 0 degree to 2.75 degrees (when installed in a 4x4, 3.5 degrees in a 2wd) This will allow you or alignment shop to correct the positive camber the lift coil created
Now you will need extended shocks for the front and new replacement shocks for the rear, unless yours are in good shape

Next consider your options:
The skyjacker kit you posted includes an add a leaf. When lifting an old explorer an add a leaf is not a bad idea, it may actually put some spring back in your factory springs. But also consider using an extended shackle, it can be a good way to lift the rear of an explorer too. Usually easier to install and some people say it improves the ride

Body lift. I only like body lifts to help clear tires. So if you clear your desired tire height with the skyjacker lift, skip the body lift.
If you find you want to go up a size, a body lift can help clear larger meats..... I prefer a 1" or 2" lift on the body, I try to avoid the 3" as it causes stretch in wiring, hoses, cables and steering. Also body lift is expensive and can be labor intensive, raises your center of gravity at the cost of clearing tires.. (I would rather cut sheetmetal to clear the tires)

Back