Wanting to replace Shocks on 2000 Limited... But confused | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanting to replace Shocks on 2000 Limited... But confused

BradyGoat

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Ford Explorer LTD
I wanted basic, cheap shocks because I really only plan on driving my explorer in the winter, but I have some questions.

Does the 2000 Explorer Limited have special shocks..? I keep seeing things about Automatic ride control, air adjusted shocks, etc.

Can I just put on cheap regular gas shocks that you'd buy for a base model? Would love some input. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can score some cheaps ones off Ebay-- no they are not special. If you search-for 00 Explorer rear shocks, wade thru the expensive ones, you will find some off brands that are gas charged. Probably really cheap too.

vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=390749166403&category=33590&pm=1&ds=0&t=1541465949000&ver=0

Something like this?

What confused me is the “excludes automatic ride control”

Do I have automatic ride control? Can I bypass that ?

If it has air ride there is a air ride on and off switch in the rear cargo area behind the drivers side access panel

If you do have air ride....just remove it. Buy shocks for a regular explorer and bolt them in....the air ride shocks are expensive and it is doubtful the system is still going to operate properly...over time the plastic air lines get brittle and break, causing all sorts of headaches.........

Thank you guys for the help.

I swear this thing is more high tech than my newer high end Acura!

Maybe!! I love me a good Acura, they ride so nice!!

The limited models have all the bells and whistles

We are neighbors, I'm North of Sandpoint, I fix these trucks from a private shop in my house if you ever need any work done........just fyi

Maybe!! I love me a good Acura, they ride so nice!!

The limited models have all the bells and whistles

We are neighbors, I'm North of Sandpoint, I fix these trucks from a private shop in my house if you ever need any work done........just fyi

Awesome! I love that area. Good to know there is somebody nearby who knows these things a lot better than I do...

I didn’t see a switch, but this is what’s inside that panel. Tell you anything?

E13E4909-1B6E-4F1C-A6CD-FE54D2873502.jpeg

You can just use the regular shocks, either way. It’s unlikely they’d work at this age anyways. Climb under the rear and see if they are just regular shocks.

I put Monro loadleveling shock in mine. Weren't too expensive. Work really well too.

Sweet, I'm glad to know I can use regular shocks. Thanks for all the replies

You can just use the regular shocks, either way. It’s unlikely they’d work at this age anyways. Climb under the rear and see if they are just regular shocks.
My '98 must be an exception: at 20+ years of age and over 170 kmiles, the ARC system is still working properly. Admittedly, I replaced all four shock absorbers (the '98 had the system on both front and back) a few years ago because one or two leaked - but then any shock absorbers, air or not, have to be replaced when they get old. I occasionally tow a trailer weighing about 3000 lbs when fully loaded, and this system is a blessing.
And incidentally, my '04 Crown Vic has a similar system (rear only), and at close to 90 kmiles, it's still flawless.

The main issue is that the lines or a single bladder crack and the pump runs until failure. There should have been a built in provision that it the pump ran for more than a few minutes it stopped running until at least the next start up.

The main issue is that the lines or a single bladder crack and the pump runs until failure. There should have been a built in provision that it the pump ran for more than a few minutes it stopped running until at least the next start up.
Definitely, an inadequate design which could have been fixed with a simple timer. However, the "Check Air Ride" warning will come up when that happens - unless ignition is off and the driver is out of the vehicle; in which case it will drain the battery before the pump destroys itself. At least my experience...
But if one ignores the warning or the endless pump noise, I agree that they shouldn't be driving a vehicle with this system.

"The main issue is that the lines or a single bladder crack and the pump runs until failure. There should have been a built in provision that it the pump ran for more than a few minutes it stopped running until at least the next start up."

Agreed! This MUST be why they added the hidden switch in the cargo area

That, and service. If you try and jack it up and the air ride tries to level, it could drop the truck. The Town Cars and Gard Marquis have warnings where the jack is stored.

Back