wanting to swap out the steering wheel... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wanting to swap out the steering wheel...

mick-dawg

Reaction score
City, State
Maple Valley, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
One of the cruise controls panel things on the sides broke and the padding is really worn anyway, so I thought of buying another steering wheel for my 97 Explorer. Unfortunately I have never done this project, so if I could have some guidance as to resource that I might study. Also the issue of the airbag has been on my mind. I was checking out prices on steering wheels and I found one, but it did not have the airbag. I also went to the dealership and they don't have the airbags either. Thanks for your help.

mick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have been considering getting a new steering wheel as well, not the entire colum, nor the airbag. Since the current airbag i have is fine. From what i remember when i worked at a junk yard, there are just two screws on the side of the colum to take out the airbag, then just a nut on the end of the colum to take off the wheel, and just swap it out for the new one.

You can reuse the old air bag.
Two 8-mm bolts on either side. Make sure you disconnect BOTH bettery terminals prior to removing the bag.

Before you remove the steering wheel make sure it is 100% totally facing forward.

If I recall the stering wheel nut is a 17-mm but dont mark my words on that. Take the bolt 80% of the way off. You will need a steering wheel puller and need to know the correct way to use it. It is amazing how many people dont. :rolleyes:

It really is a simple process. Half the job is getting the stering wheel on just right.

Good luck

You can reuse the old air bag.
Two 8-mm bolts on either side. Make sure you disconnect BOTH bettery terminals prior to removing the bag.

Before you remove the steering wheel make sure it is 100% totally facing forward.

If I recall the stering wheel nut is a 17-mm but dont mark my words on that. Take the bolt 80% of the way off. You will need a steering wheel puller and need to know the correct way to use it. It is amazing how many people dont. :rolleyes:

It really is a simple process. Half the job is getting the stering wheel on just right.

Good luck
I was wondering what type of puller would I need on my 199 XLT
and what was thje correct way to use it

My 99 had no holes to use a steering wheel puller. That was over a year ago, I have forgotten how we got it off. The junkyard guys just yank on it like a madman.

Be careful with the clockspring, the white plastic based part under the wheel. Those I have seen have instructions on them if they get twisted out of place(straight). Look at many steering wheels, the earlier ones were leather and later they started being vinyl. I prefer the leather, I don't abuse a steering wheel, get the vinyl if you like to twist while you drive. Good luck,

Back