War, the whole picture, political or religous | Page 4 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

War, the whole picture, political or religous

ShadowA2J

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Gratiot, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport, '80 Vette
Originally posted by redShift
the 10 commandments are as archaic as any law can be. They are outdated and apply to a time long long before our own. Im being very redundant but I need ot be. To be fair to other religions, perhaps we should have a table or seven or twenty with the major points of the major religions on the USA, or do everyone a favor and take the 10 commandments down and start furthering our law to a more secular future.

Im not bashing religion, just making a point about the 10 commandments.

So you think that stealing is ok, murder is ok, adultery is ok. Remind me not to let you near me, my girlfiend, or my X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

redShift

Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Did I say that?

You have some very faulty logic going. Remind me not to let you go near anyone Im associated with.

ShadowA2J

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Gratiot, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport, '80 Vette
Actually you did say that. You said they apply to a time long ago. And I didn't mean to offend with that last comment, just trying to state a point.

redShift

Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Of course I agree with some of the commandments, such as the ones you mentioned...youd be crazy not to. My point is that some of the commandments arent "laws", as they are defined today, merely guidelines on how to live according to the Christian faith.

glfredrick

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
86-98 Ranger STX
Actually, since the 10 commandments are found in the Old Testament, they are Jewish laws, not technically Christian.

In the New Testament, Jesus issued a new set of commands that far exceed the wooden requirements of the old Jewish Law. The commands of Jesus go to the heart desire of the individual, not just the outward actions, and the ultimate requirements are such that no man could ever live them, which is exactly the point that Jesus was trying to make.

Because the Law says we die for failing to keep any individual commandment, and we all fail to keep the commandments, we all are subject to death. God knowing that, was ever so loving so as to make a remedy for that sure and certain death in that He sent Jesus Christ to become our sin so that we could become His righteousness. Litterally, when God looks in judgment of one of the believers in Jesus Christ, what He sees is not our sin, but the righteousness of Jesus Christ in its place, thus the reason Christans talk about the grace of God and the salavation or redemption of sinners.

Just a word of clarification...

And, our civil laws ARE based on the biblical interpretation of the laws of God. That started in the Roman Empire and much of our law code was handed down to us through their work. (Plus of course plenty of other examples like the English system, itself based on Roman law, etc.)

Just the .02 of a pastor...

PghBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Originally posted by glfredrick
. . . And, our civil laws ARE based on the biblical interpretation of the laws of God. That started in the Roman Empire and much of our law code was handed down to us through their work. (Plus of course plenty of other examples like the English system, itself based on Roman law, etc.)

Just the .02 of a pastor...

Amen, Pastor. And that's something all those lawyers at the ACLU (Anti Christian Liberals United, alias American Civil Liberties Union) just can't seem to remember from Law 101!

hrbib21

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
the 10 commandments are as archaic as any law can be. They are outdated and apply to a time long long before our own. Im being very redundant but I need ot be. To be fair to other religions, perhaps we should have a table or seven or twenty with the major points of the major religions on the USA, or do everyone a favor and take the 10 commandments down and start furthering our law to a more secular future.

Im not bashing religion, just making a point about the 10 commandments.
Disagreed. Since our country was founded on our faith, it should remain that way. This kind of liberal thinking is what this countries problem is today. Maybe if more people followed those Ten Commandments our children would have a better future.

And here's a little excerpt from the First Ammendment to the Constitution that oughta get some of our liberal friends' panties in an uproar:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof
NOWHERE does it say "freedom FROM religion". It says "freedom OF religion". Every time a reference to God is taken out of our schools or our government by those communists (aka the ACLU), my constitutional rights are being violated.

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Originally posted by hrbib21
Disagreed. Since our country was founded on our faith, it should remain that way. This kind of liberal thinking is what this countries problem is today. Maybe if more people followed those Ten Commandments our children would have a better future.

And here's a little excerpt from the First Ammendment to the Constitution that oughta get some of our liberal friends' panties in an uproar:NOWHERE does it say "freedom FROM religion". It says "freedom OF religion". Every time a reference to God is taken out of our schools or our government by those communists (aka the ACLU), my constitutional rights are being violated.

A point well thought out and absolutely true, it's like I said in an earlier post there is no separation of Church and State when mankind is the State.

I wonder where the ACLU gets their money sometimes...I don't doubt much of it is from foreign sources to decay the fiber of this country- but I also don't doubt we fund them in some way, shape or form through some twisted research grants.

RON COX

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 X, 4 dr. & 03 Ranger
All I can say is that what we do today regarding these issues of war, our children and generations to come will have to contend with what we have done once we are gone. Lets hope that we are making the best choices and truely making the world a better place to live for all. Mankind in general destroys everthing it touches and if we are not careful we will succum to our own hand. Lets hope we are the smartest creature to ever walk the face of the earth.

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Think in terms of a world stripped of Faith. All Faith.

No Religion.

No God.

Well save one. The Almighty Dollar.

Is that the Religion we want to leave the generations to come??

I mean there's nothing wrong with a dollar- I've spent many an hour praying to the great dollar god for many more like it in my pocket, but...

I've stated I was raised Roman Catholic, but don't practice- that's MY OWN arguement with God and the Church.

That will be taken up at a later time, between the concerned parties- Me and God.

The world would really be a savage place then- nothing to live for, but the Almighty Dollar.

Put dat one in ya pipe and smoke it!
Then shudder the thought!

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
To throw a little more fuel on the fire...
I came across this when looking for stats for the Roe vs. Wade thread. I really didn't know which thread to post it in, but I figured it would go with Rick's question about war and abortion.

http://www.htmlbible.com/abortstats.htm

I'm, sure some may think the numbers may be biased since it's a bible.com page, but I'm sure they can be confirmed if need be.

redShift

Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Im not even going to try anymore because I havent seen anyone with the same views as I have and me agruing here where everyone seems to be grouped up on the other side of the line in the sand from me is not a good idea.

(*Shuts door politely on the way out)

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Oh, c'mon- at least slam the door with the finger waggin wildly!!! :D

I've been wondering if you were going to pull something out of the hat that I've never heard before...but I guess there aren't too many plausible reasons not to take action.

But hey differing opinions are what this country is about- now tell the TRUTH-> isn't everyone glad they're here and not someplace like there??

Edited in: Those of you that are, here- that is; those that aren't keep wishin! Maybe Santa Claus'll transport you some fine day!!! If the ACLU doesn't come to your town and remove all traces of him!!

Not being a clown, but seriously- this...what we've been doing COULD NOT happen in quite a few places on this planet.

America what a country!!!:usa:

To some extent that's what we fight for- FREEDOM!!

MontanaGT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woburn, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Is this war about religion? No.
It is about Weapons of Mass Destruction, a cruel and vicious dictator, and the protection of our own country. What drives America to enter into this war is our morals and beliefs which are based on religion and upbringing. This is just the right thing to do!

I am not at all offended by anyone displaying figures of their faith. I actually respect someone who would display and share figures which show their faith, as long as they don't enfringe on my space and my rights. I would never put a Saint Christophers medal on someone elses desk.

The 10 commandments in a courthouse? I'm not so sure that this is all that appropriate. The courthouse enforces mans laws, not God's laws. I know that man has written his laws based on his religious values but, not word-for-word. I don't think that this is the appropriate venue for displaying God's Laws. I don't know of anyone serving time for coviting his neighbor's wife.

redShift, you are entitled to your opinion just like everyone else. I almost have the same views on some topics as you do but, it seems that your views are just a little bit over the top, not that that's a bad thing. I think that the 10 Commandments are still valid today but, that some of the teachings found in the Bible may be a little out of date. (A primary example is the views on sex, which obviously some Catholic priests have forgotten)

The beautiful part about this country is that even though some peoples views may not be as widely accepted as others, everyone still has the right to express them. Dont forget about those "Radical, left-wing, psycho liberals that decided to defy the rule of an English king and form their sovereign nation out of just a mere 13 Colonies."

MontanaGT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woburn, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
Trent Lott?:p

j/k I don't know, what?

cdsl227

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT
Those radical left-wing liberals were in the closet conservatives tired of paying taxes!!!

Whhhaaaaa!!!!! :D

And Aldives stirring the damn pot again!!!

PghBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Originally posted by aldive
What do you call someone who runs from a fight?

Al, from all your posts, I agree with you far more than redShift. But, hey, give the kid credit. Not bad for such a young man. Almost single-handedly he took on the great right-wing conspiracy! Gave as good as he got! I'll always respect the holder of honest beliefs even if I think the ideas are oh so wrong.

We just wore him down, is all . . .:D :D

hrbib21

Reaction score
City, State
Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited 5.0
Im not even going to try anymore because I havent seen anyone with the same views as I have and me agruing here where everyone seems to be grouped up on the other side of the line in the sand from me is not a good idea.

(*Shuts door politely on the way out)
Hey guy, theres no need to leave the discussion. We are all interested in hearing your side, at least I know I am. The thing is, there really isn't any side. We're all in this together. Like I said before, I am prochoice only because I hate to see our government tell us what we can or can't do with our bodies. That's going too far. Personally, I don't believe in abortion and I wouldn't condone it for anyone in my life. But everyone has to make that decision for themselves. That's all there is to it. Hey, I already said I think the Ten Commandments belong in our society and we could only be better for it. I'm in total agreement with redShift on that.

BTW, isn't it interesting how these peacenik liberals are always protesting war and are always talking about our freedom of speech, freedom of this, freedom of that, but they won't allow any of us to have that same freedom. Or our president, for that matter. Try getting into a discussion with a liberal about the war and see who starts screaming and yelling first. See who turns it into a personal attack first. Just watch the OReilly Factor and you see this every night. For people that are all about freedom and peace, they sure seem to be pretty violent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Article from London's Daily Mirror
Surprise! Surprise! When one of the world's most liberal left wing
newspapers writes a great article like this, there is hope for everyone. A
thoughtfully written piece in one of the most left wing newspapers in the UK.
Just a word of background for those of you who aren't familiar with the UK's Daily Mirror. This is one of the most notorious Left wing, anti-American dailies in the UK. Hard to believe that the Daily Mirror actually published it, but it did.

Begin article:

ONE year ago, the world witnessed a unique kind of broadcasting -- the mass
murder of thousands, live on television. As a lesson in the pitiless cruelty
of the human race, September 11 was up there with Pol Pot's Mountain of
skulls in Cambodia, or the skeletal bodies stacked like garbage in the Nazi
concentration camps. An unspeakable act so cruel, so calculated and so
utterly merciless that surely the world could agree on one thing -- nobody
deserves this fate.
Surely there could be consensus: the victims were truly innocent, the
perpetrators truly evil. But to the world's eternal shame, 9/11 is
increasingly seen as America's comeuppance [deserved reprimand or punishment].
Incredibly, anti-Americanism has increased over the last year. There has
always been a simmering resentment to the USA in this country -- too loud,
too rich, too full of themselves and so much happier than Europeans - but
it has become an epidemic. And it seems incredible to me. More than that,
it turns my stomach. America is this country's greatest friend and our
staunchest ally. We are bonded to the US by culture, language and blood.
A little over half a century ago, around half a million Americans died for
our freedoms, as well as their own. Have we forgotten so soon?
And exactly a year ago, thousands of ordinary men, women and children -- not
just Americans, but from dozens of countries -- were butchered by a small
group of religious fanatics. Are we so quick to betray them?
What touched the heart about those who died in the twin towers and on the
planes was that we recognized them. Young fathers and mothers, somebody's
son and somebody's daughter, husbands and wives. And children. Some unborn.
And these people brought it on themselves? And their nation is to blame for
their meticulously planned slaughter?
These days you don't have to be some dust-encrusted nut job in Kabul or
Karachi or Finsbury Park to see America as the Great Satan. The
anti-American alliance is made up of self-loathing liberals who blame the
Americans for every ill in the Third World, and conservatives suffering from
power-envy, bitter that the world's only superpower can do what it likes
without having to ask permission.
The truth is that America has behaved with enormous restraint since
September 11. Remember, remember! Remember the gut-wrenching tapes of weeping men phoning their wives to say, "I love you," before they were burned alive. Remember those people leaping o their deaths from the top of burning skyscrapers.
Remember the hundreds of firemen buried alive. Remember the smiling face of
that beautiful little girl who was on one of the planes with her mum.
Remember, remember -- and realize that America has never retaliated for 9/11
in anything like the way it could have.
So, a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked up without a trial in Camp X-ray?
Pass the Kleenex. So, some Afghan wedding receptions were shot up after they
merrily fired their semiautomatics in a sky full of American planes? A
shame, but maybe next time they should stick to confetti.
AMERICA could have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot.
That it didn't is a sign of strength.
American voices are already being raised against attacking Iraq - that's
what a democracy is for. How many in the Islamic world will have a minute's
silence for the slaughtered innocents of 9/11? How many Islamic leaders will
have the guts to say that the mass murder of 9/11 was an abomination?
When the news of 9/11 broke on the West Bank, those freedom-loving
Palestinians were dancing in the street. America watched all of that -- and
didn't push the button. We should thank the stars that America is the most
powerful nation in the world. I still find it incredible that 9/11 did not
provoke all-out war. Not a "war on terrorism." A real war.
The fundamentalist dudes are talking about "opening the gates of hell" if
America attacks Iraq. Well, America could have opened the gates of hell like
you wouldn't believe. The US is the most militarily powerful nation that
ever strode the face of the earth. The campaign in Afghanistan may have been
less than perfect and the planned war on Iraq may be misconceived.
But don't blame America for not bringing peace and light to these wretched
countries. How many democracies are there in the Middle East, or in the
Muslim world? You can count them on the fingers of one hand -- assuming you
haven't had any chopped off for minor shoplifting.
I love America, yet America is hated. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle.
But I would rather be a dog in New York City than a Prince in Riyadh. Above
all, America is hated because it is what every country wants to be -- rich,
free, strong, open, optimistic. Not ground down by the past, or religion, or
some caste system. America is the best friend this country ever had and we
should start remembering that.
Or do you really think the USA is the root of all evil? Tell it to the loved
ones of the men and women who leaped to their death from the burning towers.
Tell it to the nursing mothers whose husbands died on one of the hijacked
planes, or were ripped apart in a collapsing skyscraper. And tell it to the
hundreds of young widows whose husbands worked for the New York Fire
Department. To our shame, George Bush gets a worse press than Saddam Hussein.
Once we were told that Saddam gassed the Kurds, tortured his own people and
set up rape-camps in Kuwait. Now we are told he likes Quality Street. Save
me the orange center, oh mighty one!
Remember, remember, September 11. One of the greatest atrocities in human
history was committed against America. No, do more than remember. Never,
never forget!