Warm up than die out (Found On Road Dead) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warm up than die out (Found On Road Dead)

SBJ420

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor NS
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I have a 1988 Ford Bronco II, 2.9 auto
So I am drving home from work, around 5 - 10 min later my truck just dies out,
no loss of power at all just the motor dies out. Try to start it right away but nothing happens. Wait 5min than the truck starts up and drives with no problem at all, than 20min later same thing, this time it takes around 20 - 30min of sitting before it starts, now it dies in around 5 min. All my power is fine. One of the guys that stoped and towed me to a parking lot said that he had a problem just like that in an old ford he had, and said somthing about the Dis cap...
Any ideas people! this is my DD

:roll: :thumbdwn:

No problems when the truck is running, no sputter etc...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:rolleyes:
No ideas???

Ignition module which is attached to the distributor. The module transfers heat to the body of the distributor via heatsink grease. This goop washes out over time and the module will overheat and shut the engine off like a light. Let it cool for a second and it will start and run again until it (quickly) overheats again.

New modules are generally stocked at most parts shops.

Good luck with it and let us know if this fixes it.

Steve

Thank you very much!
I will let you know how it goes.

Found one here for $76.40 Canadian.

Cheers!

One thing you can try (if you've not already bought a new one) is to ask the parts dealer if they have some of the thermal grease you can buy. Then remove the old ignition module, clean it and it's mating surface on the distributor and apply a layer of the thermal stuff to the module where it mounts. You want just enough so that when you put the module against it's mount, it covers both surfaces. No need to go excessive.

This may save you the cost of a new module. For peace of mind, I bought a new one because I was afraid that I'd stressed the old one too much.

Make sure there is thermal grease with the new one if you go that route. In all actuality it's usually a silicone based material, but calling it thermal 'grease' usually works. It should be white and fairly pasty.

Again, good luck. I certainly hope you get it fixed.

Steve

i got the cap off but now i cannot get the distributor out. My book says there is a hold down bolt and clamp.... I cannot find anything like that around it. Do I just pull straight out? If so is it HARD AS HELL to pull?
keep in mind this is a 2.9L Bronco II

You shouldn't have to remove the distributor. The ignition module should reside on the outside of the distributor housing.

Oh no I see what you mean, I got it out, but I marked where it was. Am I going to have a huge problem getting it back in with out messing up the timeing?

you could probably use thermal grease they use on computer chips when you put heat sinks on your cpu

well I got the part now, I got the grease I just dont have anything to fit in the hole. to get the module off.... its 5.5 but skinny. I am going to need to go get somthing to get it out. But now what I am worried about is getting the distributor back in, I have marked where it was pointing and havent moved anything at all, just pulled it straight out.

well I got the part now, I got the grease I just dont have anything to fit in the hole. to get the module off.... its 5.5 but skinny. I am going to need to go get somthing to get it out. But now what I am worried about is getting the distributor back in, I have marked where it was pointing and havent moved anything at all, just pulled it straight out.

Should be a 5.5 torks (sp?) wranch to remove the module.

I've honestly never removed the distributor from a 2.9 so I can't say how hard it is to put back. As long as you marked where it was pointing (the rotor inside the cap) and don't turn over the motor any, you should be able to install the grease between the module and distributor and then install the distributor. The rotor will turn as the gears engage, so you might have to slide it in and out a couple times to get the alignment right.

Steve

after all of that it ended up being the fuel pump!

Case Closed.
Thanks for the ideas tho!

Back