• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

warn manual hubs

Reaction score
City, State
Christmas Valley, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
hey guys. switching from auto hubs to manual. i got a new set of warn 9790 hubs from a friend. idk if they will work and havnt tried it yet. i know the warn website says other hubs like the 29071 kit. but these new locking hubs where free and i see they are for a small ford truck. like a ranger? just wondering if you guys would know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
9790 hubs are a different style. You need the Hat style and what you have is the normal lockup hub you see on the full sized broncos and 1/2 ton pickups etc.

You need the 29071 or the 37780 hubs. The 37780 are stronger (thicker etc) and are listed as a jeep hub.

You will also need the spindle nuts for the manual hubs as you use a different kind that you did with the auto hubs. If you got the spindle nuts with the 9790 you "should" be able to use the nuts.

~Mark

Reaction score
City, State
Christmas Valley, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
thank you Mark. i wish i didnt have to pay that much for the right hubs but i guess i have to. junk yard ones might be a bad idea right?

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Junk yard for manual hubs is normally fine. I've grabbed 3 sets from the Yard and all 3 sets work just fine.

You do need to get the spindle nuts too. New ones are $12 a side for the spicer kit # 28068X. You need one set per side or if you find good ones on the truck as you pull the hubs, grab those.

~Mark

Reaction score
City, State
Christmas Valley, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
could you guys tell me what the part is called (auto hubs) that is on the spinndle and has the 3 teeth on it that "lock" in? mine broke and i cant afford maual hubs right now and the girl friend wants to go out this weekend. idk how else to explain this part. i hope you guys know what im talking about. and thanks for the info Mark. might grab a junk yard set

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Automatic Hub Cam assembly. And I have never seen those for sale.

That is definitely a junk yard or dealer part BUT, if you buy it new, it'll be cheaper to convert to manual hubs. I pay about $50-$60 for the manual hubs at the yards around here.

~Mark