warn manual hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

warn manual hubs

Reaction score
City, State
Christmas Valley, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
hey guys. switching from auto hubs to manual. i got a new set of warn 9790 hubs from a friend. idk if they will work and havnt tried it yet. i know the warn website says other hubs like the 29071 kit. but these new locking hubs where free and i see they are for a small ford truck. like a ranger? just wondering if you guys would know

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

9790 hubs are a different style. You need the Hat style and what you have is the normal lockup hub you see on the full sized broncos and 1/2 ton pickups etc.

You need the 29071 or the 37780 hubs. The 37780 are stronger (thicker etc) and are listed as a jeep hub.

You will also need the spindle nuts for the manual hubs as you use a different kind that you did with the auto hubs. If you got the spindle nuts with the 9790 you "should" be able to use the nuts.

~Mark

thank you Mark. i wish i didnt have to pay that much for the right hubs but i guess i have to. junk yard ones might be a bad idea right?

Junk yard for manual hubs is normally fine. I've grabbed 3 sets from the Yard and all 3 sets work just fine.

You do need to get the spindle nuts too. New ones are $12 a side for the spicer kit # 28068X. You need one set per side or if you find good ones on the truck as you pull the hubs, grab those.

~Mark

could you guys tell me what the part is called (auto hubs) that is on the spinndle and has the 3 teeth on it that "lock" in? mine broke and i cant afford maual hubs right now and the girl friend wants to go out this weekend. idk how else to explain this part. i hope you guys know what im talking about. and thanks for the info Mark. might grab a junk yard set

Automatic Hub Cam assembly. And I have never seen those for sale.

That is definitely a junk yard or dealer part BUT, if you buy it new, it'll be cheaper to convert to manual hubs. I pay about $50-$60 for the manual hubs at the yards around here.

~Mark

Back