• Register Today It's free!

warning light

dogg16

Reaction score
City, State
detroit mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 + 2006
the abs light and a symbol of a swerving truck keep flashing on my 06 explorer if I push the reset button it goes away but comes back..also shows a wrench..my truck is not under warranty anymore..is this something I can fix myself?is it something that requires immediate attention?..cant afford to take it in..so any advise wouls help a lot tia

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take it to advance auto and get the codes read. Most likely its teh cracked abs sensor ring everyone talks about, which isnt too cheap to get replaced, sicne it involves I believe pulling out the axle.

I am getting the same combo of lights - ABS, Advance Trac (swerving truck), and the Drivetrain Mechanical (wrench). I only get the lights when driving at highway speeds. When I resume city driving, the lights go out. Would this cracked ABS sensor ring be more prone to activate a light at higher speeds than at lower speeds?

Carl III

Same lights for me 2 years ago. Cracked ABS tone ring replaced under warranty. Not sure of the cost but dealer replaced entire right rear axle shaft. Part # 7L2Z-4K138-A The new one has a thicker ring on it. By the way... no codes were present.

my concern is ,,is it safe to drive with those warning lights on and off??? I can't afford a big bill right now and I have to drive up north 600 mi round trip..its been doing this for a long time so I'm guessing its not too big a deal

It is not going to explode or anything, but when your ABS light and your advance trac light are on, those systems are disabled. You will not have traction control and you will not have ABS. Just be aware that these are out and drive conservatively, especially in wet conditions. There are some posts here about people just buying the new ring and doing the job themselves. If you have some time and some mechanical aptitude, you can probably save a bunch of money and still change out the tone ring(s). Both of mine were cracked and they replaced the complete rear axles on both sides. Are you the original owner, it should be covered under powertrain warranty.

Good luck,

Carl III

Back