Warning: Magnaflow #15218 Cat-Back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warning: Magnaflow #15218 Cat-Back

crystal_imprezav

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Warning for those looking to pickup the new Magnaflow for the XSport.

#1 it is not a bolt on like the instructions depict. You will need to hack your stock exhaust off after the cat. Stupid IMO when they could have just offered a kit that either A) replaces the cat or B) has hi-flow cats that does to a flange.

#2 the kit will NOT fit if you have a factory tow package. They designed the system for one w/o it. I am lucky enough to live 5 min. away from their engineering center so I brought my car into them to show them and they agreed, fixed mine and hopefully redesign it. Basically the drivers side muffler hanger needs to be reversed. Simple enough for anyone with a grinder and welder to fix but crappy for those without access.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I just got my 15218 kit delivered today, when did you install yours?

No one will touch your CAT until after 50k.

It's illiegal by EPA law.
So depending on your state the shop or you or both can get fined.

Here in Illinois, the shops won't touch it and if your tested and fail or they notice the differance, they'll suppend your plates and also you DL.

No one will touch your CAT until after 50k.

It's illiegal by EPA law.
So depending on your state the shop or you or both can get fined.

Here in Illinois, the shops won't touch it and if your tested and fail or they notice the differance, they'll suppend your plates and also you DL.

False

Removal

You cannot remove any functioning catalytic converter from any vehicle originally equipped with one, except for the purposes of replacement. Fines for removal go to the mechanic, and (as per federal standards) can be as much as $10,000. The vehicle owner may or may not be fined, but the owner will be responsible for installing a working converter.

Read more: Illinois Catalytic Converter Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6929468_illinois-catalytic-converter-laws.html#ixzz2N2pCHRCq

broken strut said:
...except for the purposes of replacement
Sounds like the caveat is there.

Removal

You cannot remove any functioning catalytic converter from any vehicle originally equipped with one, except for the purposes of replacement. Fines for removal go to the mechanic, and (as per federal standards) can be as much as $10,000. The vehicle owner may or may not be fined, but the owner will be responsible for installing a working converter.

Read more: Illinois Catalytic Converter Laws | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6929468_illinois-catalytic-converter-laws.html#ixzz2N2pCHRCq

That only says you cannot REMOVE it, which in this case you are not. It sounds to me that the law means you cannot permanently remove the cat.

Well, this thread came a few weeks too late. Mine should be arriving either today or tomorrow. Wonderful part is mine does have the tow package. To OP do you have photos of the modification required to do this? I may fire off a prelim email to Magnaflow and see what they have to say.

Alright here is the email I fired off to Magnaflow, we'll see what they say... "Hi there, recently I have ordered your exhaust system #15218, the system should be arriving at my door any day now. The question I have is in regards to the installation of this system on a 2013 Explorer Sport w/tow package. This morning I stumbled across a fellow forum member who has brought two VERY important issues to light and would like some clarification if possible. His post reads as follows "Warning for those looking to pickup the new Magnaflow for the XSport.

#1 it is not a bolt on like the instructions depict. You will need to hack your stock exhaust off after the cat. Stupid IMO when they could have just offered a kit that either A) replaces the cat or B) has hi-flow cats that does to a flange.

#2 the kit will NOT fit if you have a factory tow package. They designed the system for one w/o it. I am lucky enough to live 5 min. away from their engineering center so I brought my car into them to show them and they agreed, fixed mine and hopefully redesign it. Basically the drivers side muffler hanger needs to be reversed. Simple enough for anyone with a grinder and welder to fix but crappy for those without access."

Obviously you can see the reasons for my concern as it says nowhere in the installation manual that there will need to be any modification to the stock exhaust system aside from simply unbolting and bolting up the new one. Secondly if this kit will not fit with the tow package, why is this not listed anywhere and who is responsible for the cost of modification to the new system? If you can confirm or deny any of the above and provide a solution this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks."

Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, actually it never really answered anything...
The issue of the Exhaust not fitting on vehicles with the factory trailer hitch has bee brought to our attention. The vehicle we designed and tested this kit on did not have this option and made this an unforeseen issue. We are currently looking into a remedy or possible redesign. Unfortunately at the moment magnaflow does not offer a direct fit system for vehicles with the trailer hitch. Thank you for contacting Magnaflow.

Sent back another email, hopefully this time they will actually answer the above questions.

Yes, they might just as well sent back this response:

The issue of the exhaust not fitting on vehicles with the factory hitch has blah blah blah blah blah. Yadda yadda yadda. Blah blah blah. Thank you for contacting Magnaflow.

Did they even read your email?

not sure why the topic of the CAT even came up but...

Just about every exhaust I have ever upgraded or replaced had to be cut off. It would be nice if they designed them to bolt up to an existing junction point but that cannot always be done.

Sucks about the tow package - wonder why they didn't think of that. That is a pretty big miss on their part.

Well, here was my second email... Ok, well I guess I am still confused as to what should/will happen here. Is there modification required to the stock exhaust system which is not mentioned in the installation guide to get the Magnaflow system to mate with the stock system? Also, this now turns a job I could easily do in my garage into having to pay for somebody to install/alter this exhaust system. Am I, the end user, to incur the cost associated with this as is does not mention anywhere on your website or the company I purchased this from that this exhaust will not fit a vehicle with the tow package. As the fellow I've been in communication with has brought this to the Magnaflow engineering department's attention, do you have a modification guide available and will this alter the lifetime warranty you provide on this product as it has now been "modified"? For a system with a fairly substantial price associated with it, this seems like a BIG unforeseen issue. Again, any information you can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

And a SLIGHTLY better response...

I have been in contact this morning with a customer with your same situation and decided to modify the system himself. I have attached images of the modifications that he made, all he did was flip the side of the hanger on the driver side muffler. As far as voiding the warranty I will check with management to see what kind of guarantees I can get for you. The customer who came to our R&D center for modification, that information has not been forwarded to me or cataloging for a disclaimer in the meantime. I will also contact our engineers to see what they have planned for a redesign and time frame.

As far as the pictures he sent were concerned, they basically show grinding off the hanger, flipping it and rewelding. Not really something I think should be my concern after paying a fair amount for what is normally a quality product. Anyway, I've sent off another email asking if/when the redesign is complete what I should look forward to in regards of compensation/addressing the issue. As you can see from the above emails, I still haven't been able to confirm or deny the stock system modification issue.

Warranty Issues?

I hope everyone has read their warranty coverage brochure. Especially the section about Damage Caused By Alteration and Modification.
It specifically mentions intake and exhaust systems.

Peter

I assume you are referring to this:

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)

I have been in contact with my Ford service guys and they agree as well that it would be rather hard to relate any damage due to replacing an exhaust system. Also they themselves stated that they would have to prove that the above alterations caused the damage.

I assume you are referring to this:

The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)

I have been in contact with my Ford service guys and they agree as well that it would be rather hard to relate any damage due to replacing an exhaust system. Also they themselves stated that they would have to prove that the above alterations caused the damage.
Yes, that is the part I was referring to. Although your Ford service reps don't seem to be too concerned about it, it does provide an avenue for Ford to possibly deny a warranty claim. Hope it doesn't happen though.

Peter

I completely understand, as with any warranty/insurance, any excuse that they can find to get away from paying from something they are fully responsible for. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that as well as it's an ongoing battle just to get somebody to own up to the design flaw behind the system in the first place. I've been in radio silence since the other days posts from Magnaflow. I don't know if he got sick of dealing with me or if he's actually looking into what can/will happen with this issue.

Well this just f*&kin sucks............
I was ready to pull the trigger on a new cat back system:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that is the part I was referring to. Although your Ford service reps don't seem to be too concerned about it, it does provide an avenue for Ford to possibly deny a warranty claim. Hope it doesn't happen though.

Peter

It is extremely difficult for Ford or any other manufacturer to void a warranty by replacing an exhaust. The only time that I have seen this happen is an exhaust (turbo application) was throwing a CEL because of not enough back pressure.

With exception to that, an exhaust replacement will have no ill effects on an engine and therefore won't void a warranty. There are WAY too many people with diesels that replace their exhaust (mine is straight piped - no muffler) and have never had an issue in 100,000 miles getting something warrantied.

Basically, don't worry about it.. that should be the least of ones concern.

Back