Warranty claim after coverage (only just) expired?! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warranty claim after coverage (only just) expired?!

Just spoke with Ford and they confirmed that the factory warranty expires at 36k miles regardless of the mileage that was on it when you bought it.

Peter

Interesting, on my bill of sale it states my warranty expires at 60,115kms as it had 115km when I picked it up.

Perhaps something to look into.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The warranty beginning mileage and purchase date in entered into Oasis the day you buy the vehicle. The B to B is 36K from the beginning mileage entered. Let's say the dealer does a trade for your vehicle from another and has to drive it back, which puts 450 miles on it before you even sign the paperwork. How is it fair to you that you just lost 450 miles of warranty? Same thing when you buy a dealer demo with 3000 miles on it, the warranty starts from the one entered into Oasis. Don't believe everything a call center employee tells you.
It would appear that you are correct Riley. The following is an excerpt from the Warranty Guide;

KNOW WHEN YOUR WARRANTY BEGINS

Your Warranty Start Date is the day you take delivery of your new
vehicle or the day it is first put into service (for example, as a dealer
demonstrator), whichever occurs first

So it would seem that if you buy a demonstrator, then the mileage on it would count against the factory warranty. For all others, it would begin with the current mileage on the vehicle.

Dang! That's the second time this week I've been wrong. You were also right JDraper.......sorry to doubt you.

Peter

Lets see.. Ford has paid for every one of my rentals (didnt have an esp at the time) and they have paid 50% of an out of warranty repair. They have been nothing but GREAT to me.
That's why NTSB is now investigating owner's complaints on several model Fords with transmission / throttle body complaints. That, speaks for itself! :salute:

It would appear that you are correct Riley. The following is an excerpt from the Warranty Guide;

KNOW WHEN YOUR WARRANTY BEGINS

Your Warranty Start Date is the day you take delivery of your new
vehicle or the day it is first put into service (for example, as a dealer
demonstrator), whichever occurs first

So it would seem that if you buy a demonstrator, then the mileage on it would count against the factory warranty. For all others, it would begin with the current mileage on the vehicle.

Dang! That's the second time this week I've been wrong. You were also right JDraper.......sorry to doubt you.

Peter

So that speaks to the date the warranty goes into effect, but not the mileage. I was looking at the warranty terms and I didn't find any verbiage to state warranty miles would be 36K above what the vehicle was delivered with.

So that speaks to the date the warranty goes into effect, but not the mileage. I was looking at the warranty terms and I didn't find any verbiage to state warranty miles would be 36K above what the vehicle was delivered with.
My take on that is that the term 'Warranty' refers to the factory warranty which is 36K miles, 3 years.

Peter

Hi folks!

If you're concerned about your vehicle, your next stop should be your dealership so they can assist. Additionally, I'm always happy to check out some options to help; just send me your info in a PM and I'll get to work on your case. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

Warranty

Andrew just wondering if you have this taken care of and who was helping you with this.
FRANK

Curious if anyone has any experience with this here.

My wife's Explorer clicked over 36,000 miles this week. Problem is, I had planned to work from home today so I could have the dealer look at a persistent CEL, as well as a flaw in one of the door panels. She didn't pay close enough attention to the mileage this week, and the odometer read 36,019 this AM when I pulled into the dealer. Not a big deal I thought as I walked in to see a service writer. Wow was I wrong. Over 36k miles? No more warranty sir, you need to pay for all repairs, and no I don't care if it just rolled over on your way here.

So here I am, with a check engine light still on for an evap leak that the dealer couldn't find last time it was there. That visit was covered under warranty, but this time it sounds like I'm out of luck on getting that covered even though it's pre-existing. I've known about the door panel for a week or two now, but never did manage to get over to have it looked at. It wasn't a high priority and figured I'd squeak in right before the odometer rolled over. Missed it by 19 miles. In hind sight, I wonder if I should have taken advantage of Roadside Assistance and made them tow the car to the dealer to avoid going over mileage.

I've got a case open with Ford Customer Care, but I'm not sure where that's going to go. I'm honestly kind of surprised this is such a problem for the folks at Form Motor Company. Has anyone else here been thru anything like this?

People. All vehicle manufactures have a "unwritten" grace period for warranties....sometimes the dealer will take the initiative and contact the manufacturer direct and sometimes you have to go above the dealer and make the appropriate calls.
Nobody has ever been denied warranty within a few hundred miles/km of going over....and in some cases even a few thousand.
Depending on the nature of the service required and how much over will determine how much coverage you get but you're never left totally SOL, you just have to talk to those a little higher up.
I have a friend who just got a totally brand new transmission for a BMW X5 at 80k, 20,000km out of warranty. He did however have to pay the labor part of the job.
My wife has a Honda Pilot and at 8k out of warranty it needed a major labor intensive repair. The part was $450 and the labor was $1,200. Honda compromised and offered to cover the labor if I paid for the part.
Most car manufacturers are pretty good when it comes to the "unwritten" warranty grace period. You just have to be nice about it. They really want to please customers.
Just don't expect anything if you're ridiculously out of warranty!

Andrew just wondering if you have this taken care of and who was helping you with this.
FRANK

So to update, yes my issue has been resolved. I've spoken to a few people at Ford, Crystal being one of them.

Hi folks!

If you're concerned about your vehicle, your next stop should be your dealership so they can assist. Additionally, I'm always happy to check out some options to help; just send me your info in a PM and I'll get to work on your case. I'll need your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal
Is there someone at Ford who can help these days? I’m at 60,356 miles and I’m under five years. I need my timing chain replaced. Because I’m 356 miles over warranty my dealership told me they can’t help without authorization from Ford customer service. Ford customer service told me they can’t help. It’s only 356 miles over. Help.

Were you a faithful customer of the dealer? Customers that usually have oil changes and other maintenance services done there tend to get help. Did you talk to the Service Manager about this?

Is there someone at Ford who can help these days? I’m at 60,356 miles and I’m under five years. I need my timing chain replaced. Because I’m 356 miles over warranty my dealership told me they can’t help without authorization from Ford customer service. Ford customer service told me they can’t help. It’s only 356 miles over. Help.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The person that you quoted was a Ford rep that used to be on here but all reps were pulled from forums many years ago.

If the Expedition has the same engine and internal water pump configuration as the Explorer, you may want to have the water pump replaced at the same time since they will already have that part of the engine apart.

Peter

Back