Warrior 153 shackles install with pics | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Warrior 153 shackles install with pics

read all before you start...

Hi. your gonna want to lift the frame right before the rear wheels right in front of the the leaf spring mounting perch. BE SURE TO BLOCK THE FRONT TIRES WELL!! Before you start make sure you have all the necessary new hardware for the install. Bolts, nuts and lock washers and of course the shackles. If your shackles came with bolts and nuts good. But if not I suggest going to your local hardware store and picking up some grade 8 steel bolts, nuts and lock washers. I recommend 9/16 nuts, bolts and lock washers by 4 1/2 inches long.

Order of operation as follows;
1. block the front tires well
2. jack the frame up right in front of the rear tire, right before the front most leaf spring perch.
3. Remove the old shackle bolts from the shackle.
4. Install the shackle and the top bolt, lock washer and nut.(remember the lock washer goes on right before the nut.)
5. Pull the leaf down to align the lower shackle mounting hole and the leaf mounting hole. If too hard to pull down use a piston jack to help align the holes. Once aligned remove piston jack BEFORE dropping the the truck.
6. Make sure all bolts are tight and lower the jack.
7. Repeat on the other side.

note: it would be beneficial to hose down the bolts of the rear shackles with pb blaster or liquid wrench a few days and a few times prior to doing the actual shackle job. trust me, very beneficial.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cheers for that. I've been hosing down my bolts with penetrating oil for a few days ready to install my shackles but I wasn't sure where to put the jack on the frame and your post cleared that up nicely. I've always lifted it from the axle when working on it.

where can you order the shackles from. i can only find them for heeps

anyone that carries Warrior Products brand should be able to get these for you also, they just wont list them. Call them and give them the part number, 153.

ok thanks

anyone that carries Warrior Products brand should be able to get these for you also, they just wont list them. Call them and give them the part number, 153.

Thats what I did for mine and my brothers

Quick question that I thought I'd just add to this thread:

I have a class III trailer hitch installed on my XLT - would it be a problem, be in the way or cause any fitment issues when installing the Warrior shackles?

Quick question that I thought I'd just add to this thread:

I have a class III trailer hitch installed on my XLT - would it be a problem, be in the way or cause any fitment issues when installing the Warrior shackles?

Anyone? :exporange

the only thing I see giving you trouble is having limited access to the backside of the shackle to frame bolt. using a box end wrench should let you get in the tight area.

Alright, thanks for the help!

Ok guys I have a dilema im installing my warrior shackles the driver side bolts all came out fine and the shackle is on. the pass side leaf spring bolt is rusted solid in the sleve we've tried everything to get it out air hammer punch with a mini sledge. Does anybody have any advice they could throw my way its my daily driver and id like to have it back pretty soon.

If i do a 2" torsion twist on the front, what size shackles should i buy for the rear?

so would these warrior shackles work on a 98 explorer sport or what?

It works on all the explorers with a solid rear axle.. which includes the 98

~Mark

:exp: I was wondering, do you just need rear shackles or do you need front ones as well? also can I just use the shackles for a lift without installing a body lift or should I also buy the body lift?

This may be a stupid question, but my Warrior shackles did not come with a lockwasher. I installed them last week with all the hardware that was included and torqued to 30 lb/ft as recommended in the instructions. Should I have added my own lockwashers or will I be alright? I'm going to recheck the torque as soon as I get home just to be on the safe side, but I'd like some feedback.

when I did my shackles they came with one, but they were an off brand.
what I would do is add a second nut to the bolt(if there is room) but I would say yes, after all, is the cost of an extra nut worth loosing your shackles on the highway? I think not....

i just did fabbed up my custom lift shackles and i still have my plans that i used if anyone wants to make their own for half the cost of the warrior ones

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just did fabbed up my custom lift shackles and i still have my plans that i used if anyone wants to make their own for half the cost of the warrior ones

did you make yours longer than the warriors?

Back