was ABOUT to order the Doxon Bros. longtravel.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

was ABOUT to order the Doxon Bros. longtravel....

justin146

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Oxford, MS-- home of the Ole Miss Rebels
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT Sport 5.0 Turbo
was ABOUT to order the Dixon Bros. longtravel....

Well, I was going to sell my Explorer, but I decided to keep it and go with the Dixon Brothers Longtravel 4wd kit. I saved up the money and was in the process of ordering it when I realized to complete it I would have to order springs separately at a cost of $1170. I thought the price was high even when I though that the springs were included... the kit alone is $2990, so add the coilovers and that makes the kit $4160!!!

Needless to say that I wont be buying this suspension kit. Are there any other longtravel kits out there for the 4wd 2nd gens? I guess I will be going with the RCD kit. End rant:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um yeah you have to buy coilovers to run a Dixon bro's kit since it eliminates the torsion bars.

You get what you pay for.

Currently there are no other long travel A arm suspension KITS on the market for us 4x4 guys. However Camburg, Mcneil, and others are rumored to be close to release. Expect them to be in this same price range.

the dixon kit is MADE to be beat on, it is a high quality long travel suspension with custom high angle CV axle shafts, this stuff costs $$$.

Are the prices you listed if you buy the coilovers from Dixon?
Also I believe the new threaded body coilovers would then need to be charged and tuned if you were installing the kit yourself.

yeah, i was looking at their site those prices are with the coils from Dixon

what are you looking for? more lift or more wheel travel?

why not buy the coilovers elsewhere? You can find them used for very good prices.

BigDave!!! said:
what are you looking for? more lift or more wheel travel?
I want lift + more wheel travel. I have decided to go all out on this, since I have the front clip of a 02 sport:) I will be using the sport front end with Hannemann glass fenders and a SOA on the back. I will be keeping the two tone-ness that my Ex already has by painting the flare part of the Hannemann glass the grey metallic color of my current flares.

damn well your in a predicament there then, i know the dixon bros kit doesnt have that much lift unless you crank on those coilovers and the RCD probably doesnt get that much more wheel travel, maybe one of the guys with the RCD kit will chime in to prove me wrong though.

as far as glass goes that is my favorite front clip ever and i have only seen it on one or two other explorers

FYI: A Dixon Bro's front end and a spring over axle in the rear is going to handle like $hit when you really need it.

SteveG3 said:
FYI: A Dixon Bro's front end and a spring over axle in the rear is going to handle like $hit when you really need it.

why do you say that?

SteveG3 said:
yeah but it would handle great if he stayed SUA and just got deavers

is your 02 Sport clip factory metal or fiberglass?

Cough: SAS :Cough :p

410Fortune said:
is your 02 Sport clip factory metal or fiberglass?
The clip is stock except for glass fenders.

If I SAS my truck, I can't insure it with my current insurance. Any frame modification voids my policy:( I wish there was a bolt on SAS kit for Explorers like Calmini has for the Xterra.

BigDave!!! said:
yeah but it would handle great if he stayed SUA and just got deavers

Exactly.

justin146 said:
The clip is stock except for glass fenders.

If I SAS my truck, I can't insure it with my current insurance. Any frame modification voids my policy:( I wish there was a bolt on SAS kit for Explorers like Calmini has for the Xterra.

So don't tell them...do you think they'll send out the frame police! :p I learned long ago that you only tell them what they need to know. I lifted my old ranger and when I told them, they doubled my payments :eek: I went with a different insurance company, and told them it's just a normal Ranger.

Stic-o said:
So don't tell them...do you think they'll send out the frame police! :p I learned long ago that you only tell them what they need to know. I lifted my old ranger and when I told them, they doubled my payments :eek: I went with a different insurance company, and told them it's just a normal Ranger.

I am worried that if I have a wreck, they wont cover it:(

justin146 said:
I am worried that if I have a wreck, they wont cover it:(

that's not how it works if you wreck anyway they won't want to cover you b/c they think you'll cost them to much money if it happens again. my brother was t-boned in a 2wd prerunner ranger and it was layed on him losing control, but anyways the insurance qouted him a few thousand dollar monthly bill, not premium, b/c of his accident, just so he couldn't go with there insurence. anways go with the sas that is the best way to go in my opinion, the insurance wont even know the difference with the suspension if the car is wrecked(knock on wood), those guys are idiots, unless there is a gearhead in the insurence business, which if there was i would let you get away with it just because we're sticking it to the man. (haha) i put my semi-dragged out chevy nova as a stock car because there is know way that they would insure a big block/tubed/rollcaged car without taking your arm and a leg. they never even wanted to see it, and if they do you send them a picture of a stock version of the car,(sideview so they cant see the license plate). :D

SAS is not for everyone, there is terrain out there where a long travel A arm setup is preferred.

410Fortune said:
SAS is not for everyone, there is terrain out there where a long travel A arm setup is preferred.
true true so it's up to him, buget and suspension mods. later on

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back