Was set to buy a Palisade Caligraphy or Telluride SX Premiere, Ended up with a 2020 Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Was set to buy a Palisade Caligraphy or Telluride SX Premiere, Ended up with a 2020 Platinum

Lhymes

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
I figured I’d share my car buying experience with others in case anyone else is in the same boat - I figured it might help.

The past few weeks I decided it was time to upgrade my 2016 Explorer Platinum.I had upgraded the APIM and was running SYNC 3, so all-in-all I was in a pretty good place with it, but even after making the mistake of financing for 72 months I have positive equity on it, which speaks volumes for the vehicle in my eyes.

I’ve been through 2 Explorers so figured it was time for a change. Obviously the reviews of the Telluride and Palisade have been glowing, so they were my first options to really research and try out. The first time I checked out both in person I was really impressed. The sticker prices were way more reasonable than the Ford and they had very nice interior amenities. I figured I was sold.

After test driving both, neither really particularly wowed (they drove like my wife’s old Sedona). Of the two, the Telluride drove the most Ford-like. The Palisade had a very cush, clean ride, but wasn’t exciting at all. If you want a luxurious drive feel, though, the Palisade was where it’s at. The Telluride felt like driving an Explorer without any turbos, but it could go and you could feel the drive more.

On the outside, I preferred the Telluride with nightfall. It looked great and they have a really solid color line-up to compliment it. The Palisade has a kinda-fugly, but grows on you charm and it looks like it came out of the world of Judge Dredd. On the inside, the Palisade had a level of opulence I was not expecting, while the Telluride was more in-class. Both vehicles pretty much have the same offerings, but fed to you in different ways. I preferred the diamond stitching in the Palisade along with the additional front storage, but came to the personal conclusion those cubbies would end up either being irrelevant or turning into traps for stuff to pile up in and end up with clutter. In the end, I was ready to buy the Telluride as it felt more like a driver’s car and not an attempt to replicate a luxury SUV experience on a budget. Not to mention, it boggled my mind that the side view mirrors didn’t fold on the Palisade for who knows what reason, but that’s a nit-pick.

Well, I started my day today going out to get a Telluride and ended up with a loaded 2020 Explorer Platinum. What happened? Well, first off, the buying experience on the Telluride sucks. The nightfall package is in short supply currently, so I’m pretty sure the local dealers’ lobby got together and decided to all go $5k over sticker, which makes a good-for-the-price SUV not appealing at all. I would hope no one would ever fall for this ploy as they’re essentially throwing that money away to depreciation immediately. I would’ve preferred to order the vehicle and wait. Additionally, the driving experience and little nit-picks like lack of dual exhaust and kinda-wacky infotainment, and “why does the palisade have this but this one doesn’t?” goofy build choices just really nagged at me. Also, going back to my first paragraph, I really feel deep down that the Ford will retain its value much better.

So I decided to test drive the Explorer despite its significantly higher sticker price and lower reviews. Well, I’m glad I did. The reviewers pretty much clearly focused on the first-impressions. The Explorer drives as much like a performance vehicle as can be expected for a relatively large SUV. It has insane pickup and handles surprisingly nimbly. On the inside I feel like the design choices Ford went with were more muted and not as wow-factor (a white leather option would’ve given them that), but it’s much bigger than it was previously and it pretty much offers everything the others do, but not as in a, “hey look we put soft touch here!” or “look at this extra faux luxury material accent!” sort of way. Pretty much the only thing lost is some extra USB charging ports, but let’s be real - there is never a situation where you will have 6 people all juicing their devices at the same time and if there is you’re probably going with a large SUV anyway. It’s true the Ford did have fewer points of soft touch, but I felt it made sense - It leads to fewer areas of physical wear over time. Also, outside of the first-impression features, the Ford actually has way more customizable features inside and honestly better amenities for daily use (smarter catch-alls and materials that will wear better). Also, the wider second row is way more spacious than it used to be. Additionally, the comfort of all the seats in the vehicle have greatly improved and the front seats shine as having the most significantly improvement of comfort. Ford did a good job of taking what I loved in my 2016 and improved it across the board. The nail in the coffin was how easy it was to negotiate down the price of the Explorer vs the competitors. I ended up getting them to come $3500 off sticker, they threw in a bunch of incentives, and came up $2000 on my trade in over what the other dealers would do. In the end I paid very similarly to what I was planning on spending on a vehicle priced nearly $12k over the one I intended on buying. In the end, the Explorer really is a super fun car to drive, while having tons of space for my family, and not compromising on features.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was shopping for a Telly too but couldn't swallow paying MSRP when the ST was $9k off. I love speed as well so the ST ended up being a better choice and I have no regrets. Congrats on your new ride!

Yup, real world pricing makes the them comparable. Anyways, congrats

Lots of reviews with big complaints of “high price low value” but I took a look at a Platinum sitting on the showroom floor and really liked it. Sales guy told me they always happily sold them under MSRP and I believed him because at the dealer there were three brand new Explorers lined up on the side of the building that already sold literally that day and were ready for their new owners to drive them home.

Yea, I remember looking at and driving a Telluride (certainly a nice vehicle). I looked at the sticker and there was an add on charge of $3000 for AMV. I asked the salesman what AMV was and he replied "Appreciated Market Value". I said "No thanks"

Yea, I remember looking at and driving a Telluride (certainly a nice vehicle). I looked at the sticker and there was an add on charge of $3000 for AMV. I asked the salesman what AMV was and he replied "Appreciated Market Value". I said "No thanks"

Nothing like immediately throwing away that money to depreciation, and even worse, making you pay interest over the course of the loan on it.

Coming from someone that purchased a 2020 Limited back in early 2020 and has driven all three vehicles mentioned here along with ownership experience with my wife's 2020 Kia Sedona, I can honestly say I wish I had purchased a Palisade instead. Although I have not had any major issues with my Explorer I have taken it in for 3 recalls already and an erroneous FordPass Deep Sleep issue that required an update to the software of some forgotten module.

With that said, the transmission on these vehicles, even when not having shifting issues that fall under a recall, is not smooth by any stretch of the imagination. Some days I have to baby the ride to get smooth, seamless shifts. Other days I have to take it over 3 grand to get the smooth shifts. Most often it feels like it's searching for the right gear to be in under light, normal, everyday driving.

Don't get me wrong, I do like my Explorer but I feel buyers remorse at times, usually after driving my wife's Sedona where I get a first hand comparison of the quality and attention to detail Kia/Hyundai put into their vehicles that Ford seemed to have rushed through in, at least, the early vehicles of this model generation.

Not to mention the Explorer falls at the bottom of pretty much every list of SUVs, in this class, ranked since 2020 with the Palisade and Telluride constantly in 1 and 2 spots. Resale value of our cars does not match that of the Palisade or Telluride, nor will our vehicles hold value as well as those two.

Just my $.02 and experience from the Washington, D.C. area.

i ordered a 22. i mean i love the telluride but not enough to pay 10k more for it than a explorer with same stuff on it. not found a kia under 6k over msrp.

What everyone who compares the 20+ explorers to the telluride/palisade fails to mention is they are fwd based and the explorer is rwd based. Not only does that change the driving dynamics, but if your tall with a big shoe size like me there is significantly more legroom in the footwell in the front seats on the explorer. The previous gen ex's (11-19) were fwd based and had a 113" wheel base and the telltale wheelwell hump that all fwd vehicles have. On the 20+ explorers the wheelbase stretched out to 119" and all 6" of that gain went to the front to maximize legroom in the footwell. That makes for a much more comfortable drive when traveling for tall people like me.

What everyone who compares the 20+ explorers to the telluride/palisade fails to mention is they are fwd based and the explorer is rwd based. Not only does that change the driving dynamics, but if your tall with a big shoe size like me there is significantly more legroom in the footwell in the front seats on the explorer. The previous gen ex's (11-19) were fwd based and had a 113" wheel base and the telltale wheelwell hump that all fwd vehicles have. On the 20+ explorers the wheelbase stretched out to 119" and all 6" of that gain went to the front to maximize legroom in the footwell. That makes for a much more comfortable drive when traveling for tall people like me.
I prefer the rwd based driving but as for the footwell room of the kia it was probably slightly bigger. iirc the kia 3.8 engine is longitude mounted not transverse. so you really arent gaining there. i hated the 11-19 weird footwells, my ex wife had a 16 and that was my biggest complaint w it.

I had an 18 sport before my 21 ST

A few years ago I bought my first indoor potting machine which was a Palisade Caligrapy from Canada. After about 1 year I noticed its motor had stopped working properly after using it for over 6 months. I contacted Palisade directly through their website asking if they could send me a replacement motor but was told that they didn't carry those parts anymore. So I purchased a Telluride SX Premiere instead, thinking the motor would last longer than the caligraphy. A couple weeks later it broke down again, this time even worse. I decided to try online and looked for a replacement motor but couldn't find any. At that point I decided to just get a new machine altogether.
The Telluride SX Premier came out around the same time as the Palisade Caligraph, but at the time the SX Premiere seemed like a much better idea. It's not expensive (about $600) compared to the Palisade ($1000). But then I started reading reviews and realized how many people were having problems with their SX Premieres breaking down. I ended up getting another one and have been happy with it ever since. I only wish it had come with an extra battery!
I'm no expert on weed or anything related to it, but what I do know is that I've spent hundreds of dollars on different machines throughout the years and I haven't had a single problem with mine. Maybe I got lucky or maybe I lucked out. Either way, I don't regret buying the Telluride SX Premiere.
why didnt you just take it back for warranty repair? they have a 100k warranty on power train. also the palisade and telluride are pretty much the same thing. like the difference in a chevy and gmc. the use the same 3.8 along with several sedans from kia/hyundia

"After test driving both, neither really particularly wowed (they drove like my wife’s old Sedona)".

@jstforefun - You are correct. From what I can tell in a photo I found on the web, side-by-side on a rack looking at the undercarriage, the Telluride and Palisade are using the same or mildly modified (shortened) Sedona platform. Not exactly a "new model" and if true, I wish the critics would devulge this. Ford has had its fair share of problems, however, as its been mentioned in previous threads, most of the "20 Explorer was all-new which I personally feel is too much of a task for any auto manufacturer to take on. The first year of any model often has some problems but Ford also had labor troubles in 2020 which didn't help. Unfortunately, many 2020 models were hit or miss with regard to reliability but the '21 and '22 model years seem to be holding up well.

I love my 21, Explorer LTD and how it drives. I do not like large FWD vehicles and prefer RWD in general. I really did not like my 18 XLT and how it drove with the FWD. No offense to those that like the 11-18 Explorers, but to me it just felt like a fat and bloated Ford Taurus. The V6 was very noisy too under heavy throttle.

"After test driving both, neither really particularly wowed (they drove like my wife’s old Sedona)".

@jstforefun - You are correct. From what I can tell in a photo I found on the web, side-by-side on a rack looking at the undercarriage, the Telluride and Palisade are using the same or mildly modified (shortened) Sedona platform. Not exactly a "new model" and if true, I wish the critics would devulge this. Ford has had its fair share of problems, however, as its been mentioned in previous threads, most of the "20 Explorer was all-new which I personally feel is too much of a task for any auto manufacturer to take on. The first year of any model often has some problems but Ford also had labor troubles in 2020 which didn't help. Unfortunately, many 2020 models were hit or miss with regard to reliability but the '21 and '22 model years seem to be holding up well.

I love my 21, Explorer LTD and how it drives. I do not like large FWD vehicles and prefer RWD in general. I really did not like my 18 XLT and how it drove with the FWD. No offense to those that like the 11-18 Explorers, but to me it just felt like a fat and bloated Ford Taurus. The V6 was very noisy too under heavy throttle.
i didnt hate my ex wifes 16 just hate the person that owns lt lol. it was a nice vehicle for a fwd crossover. could have been slightly roomier and lost that weird foot well part. other than that it was not a bad vehicle. was kinda slow but was ok on gas.

People forget that Ford complety gutted and installed a new production line to build the 2020 Explorer all in a couple months. Overly ambitious time line without time to work out the kinks. New production lines always have at least a few issues to work out.

Back