• Register Today It's free!

Was stuck in 2wd, now 4LO?

dejello

perpetually unconcious
Reaction score
City, State
College Station, TX
Was stuck in 2HI, now 4LO?

Alright, I know this has been discussed alot before, and if someone knows a thread that can help me, then slap me and tell me where to go.

BTW- I have a 1991 Explorer, auto hubs, push button thingy

Here it is:
At first I couldn't engage the 4WD system. When I pressed the 4hi (or even the 4lo) I got nothing. No lights, no clicking anywhere, nada. So I did some searching here and kept finding this link: Dead Link Removed

I unplugged the battery to try to get the computer to "forget", nothing. I tried the test thing and got 4 blinks on the processor board or whatever it is. That means something's up with the motor, right? Everything keeps pointing to cleaning that or even replacing if it was dead. So I opened it up and serviced it to the best I could. Nada. Oh, in my stupidity I turned the cam shaft to 4hi to see if it would move. It did.. :banghead: Then I couldn't get it back (it feels like it's spring loaded now). Hmm.. Ok.

Turned on the X to see the 4x4 light by the steering wheel on. Then it went off a couple seconds later. Weird.. And now I try the buttons, nothing. I try to move, more stupidity. Things start engaging and locking. So now I'm fully in 4HI. Ok, can I get out? Let's try, hmm.. nope... Turned off the X and worked on the motor area again, got no where.

Start it up again a little later, now the 4x4 light stays on (at least it staying on now).. But now the 4LO is on. What? How'd that happen? Going through the motions, sure enough, that shaft is pointed at 4LO now. Tried the buttons again and nothing. Tried backing up and going forward, even thought about flying.. But somehow it didn't seem right...

So now I'm stuck in 4LO and can't get out. Can I get some applause?! :D
Can anyone help me? (Aside from not letting me work on it anymore) :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the hubs? Im willing to bet its them expecially if your still running stock hubs with oversized tires.

Well, I can check one of them for now, until I get around to breaking a lug nut loose on the other side... For a little bit when I was trying to disengage, I would hear clicking up front while in reverse for a few feet, then it'd stop. I guess that'd be the hubs?

On another note - I'm still confused as to how I got into 4LO, but I guess that's something else... Main thing I care about is getting out. I'll look at the hubs tomorrow when there's light out

Should my transfer case still disengage the front drive shaft whether or not it is the hubs? Because it's still spinning

UPDATE - Fixed part of the problem

Now I'm no longer in 4x4 or 4LO. Hot-wired the motor and it's alive! It's alive! :) Got it to move the shaft to 2H.

As of yet, haven't checked the hubs, front axle still spinning. Backed up a little ways, but not too much. Should I try backing up more?

Back