Was the OHV V6 avail with the 5 speed auto? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Was the OHV V6 avail with the 5 speed auto?

FPGT24

Eat, sleep, breathe Explorers
Reaction score
City, State
Taneytown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Just wondering if the 4.0L Cologne OHV V6 was available with the 5 speed automatic trans? Just picked up my 3rd Explorer last week...a 99 XLT in Deep Wedgewood Blue with the OHV V6. I've had a 97 XLT with the SOHC V6 and a 98 XLT with the SOHC a few months before I got this one. Both my SOHC's had the 5 speed auto. I cannot find anywhere if the OHV V6 was avail with the 5 speed automatic or not. I have steadily counted 4 shifts from a dead stop. Torque converter lockup happens shortly after the 3rd shift, then you can feel a 4th shift shortly after. It also shifts quickly like my SOHC's transmissions did. However, the transmission looks completely different from the ones that were in my SOHC's. The truck doesnt feel incredibly slow either like everyone says the OHV V6 is with the 4 speed auto, it launches pretty swiftly from a dead stop up like my SOHC's did till about 40 mph then it crawls like a snail to 60, in fact ive given up trying to get it to 60 it just seems like it cant do it. My SOHC's did 0-60 in 7 seconds flat with exhaust.

97 and up Ranger and Explorer came with 5 speeds regardless of engine except for 5.0L V8 Explorers and Mountaineers for awhile they were 4R70W. Both V6's came with 5 speeds.

5r55e is your trans model.

there was also 5r44e and 4r44e, but those seem to be far less common from what i've seen.

5r55e is your trans model.

there was also 5r44e and 4r44e, but those seem to be far less common from what i've seen.

You forgot the 4r55e.

Back