Was this a good deal - 02 XLT demo? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Was this a good deal - 02 XLT demo?

MikeF150

Reaction score
City, State
Montclair, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer (Ex-car)
This is my first post on this site (my personal vehicle is an 02 F150 Supercrew King Ranch, thus I'm usually at the F150 sites)

Anyways... just bought an 02 Explorer XLT today for my wife... demo with 5600 miles... had everything we (she) wanted... leather, moon roof, third row seat, running boards, Estate Green color....

Was using the X-plan and if new, X-Plan price was $30,760. (List $33,855) Since is was a demo, I negotiated the final price to $28,000 ... thus $2760 below X-plan.

Does this sound like a good deal or could I have gotten much lower? Personally, I know it's too late to do anything about it and the wife's happy and that's all that matters....

Just looking for feedback from others who have may have bought demos in the past.

Thanks......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a great deal bro! Wish I could have gotten a deal like that when I bought my 2002 XLS, costed me $30,000.00!!

As long as you have a decent warranty and watch the motor and tranny for abnormal wear (due to being beaten on test drives), its a great deal.

Dang you got one hell of a deal for an XLT with those options. Great job on negotiating and I hope you wife gets some wonderful miles out of the truck. Enjoy.

damn, I think you guys pay a little too much up North. We almost bought a 02' Mounty Premier Ed. w/V8 and a about 12,000 miles for $26,700, the dealership was selling it for about $28,500 the knocked off $1500 b/c we know them and then got them to come down $300 more. But I just didn't like the wedgewood color. Even if we didn't know them, they were still selling it for about what you payed for the XLT. And that version of the Mounty was around 38,000 I think new. God I love living in Fl. My neighbor bought a used 02' 2wd XLT fully loaded w/V8 and I think 4500 miles for $27,000. Got the Estate Green color also, looks good in that color.;)

FYI - My explorer was $33,100 + had 6100 miles on it in 2000. I paid $27,350 - but I used to sell cars and am a real a$$hole to dealers.....so the answer is yup...you done pretty good.

The ***** with demos is that they have never been registered so technically they are not "used" cars, so the dealer wants to negotiate from the "new" car price. Meanwhile you are buying a car with the miles already on it and want to depreciate it down some. These "grey areas" can either kill you or kill the dealer depending on how informed you are.
Most dealers charge the salesscum 1/60th or 1/72nd of the vehicle's sticker price to drive a demo, so if it was $33k and it's a year old, they are'nt hurting on the deal either.

Welcome to the site. :)

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
damn, I think you guys pay a little too much up North. We almost bought a 02' Mounty Premier Ed. w/V8 and a about 12,000 miles for $26,700, the dealership was selling it for about $28,500 the knocked off $1500 b/c we know them and then got them to come down $300 more. But I just didn't like the wedgewood color. Even if we didn't know them, they were still selling it for about what you payed for the XLT. And that version of the Mounty was around 38,000 I think new.

The biggest difference there is the mileage--12,000 knocks the price down quite a bit. Also, was the Mounty AWD or 2WD? As for the original price, closer to $36K, assuming it was AWD. Pricing didn't change from '01 (which I used to have), and mine was just shy of $36K sticker (only option it didn't have was a CD changer).

It was AWD V8, but it's only about 6000 more miles than his truck. Used 02' XLT's fully loaded here are selling for around 20-21,000. Eddie Bau. and Limited are a little more. Theres an XLS for sale here with 14,000 miles for $16,000, and another XLT that has everything except for leather and V8 for $17,999 with 11,278 miles. Whats funny is some dealerships are selling the 00-01 Eddie Bauer and Limited's for a little over $20,000. One of the Ford dealership's is asking $25,995 for an 01' Eddie Bauer and $24,995 for an 00' Limited. Theres on way in hell there gonna sell those trucks for that much when you can get a nicer 02' for the same price or cheaper.

i can see the benefits of the newer models, but personally i would much rather have a 00 model explorer than a 02 if both had zero miles so i for one would buy those at those prices if i were in the market.

as for the deal you got, i think it sounds pretty damn good. its nice when you can find the thing your looking for at a reduced rate. it never seems to happen to me though

Thanks for all the feedback.... one of the better parts of all this was I also got 0% financing for 5 years.... If I was paying cash, I would have gotten another $2500 off the $28K...

If anyone is thinking of getting a 02 Explorer, better start looking at them now...especially if you're particular about what you want which we were. I couldn't believe how busy the dealership was on a Wed during the day.... we had lost one at another dealer a couple days ago (exactly what we wanted out of about 100 02 Explorers on the lot.... because we took it for a drive and they parked it in front of the showroom, someone else saw it and bought it the next morning. We came back the next day & it was gone)

I found the best place to start was www.forddirect.com and start searching dealer inventory... it also gives you the X-plan price as well. After finding the specific one you want, go to the dealer, "browse" among the Explorers and show some faint interest in the one that you're dying to get.... they won't let you walk out of there without it..... :D

Originally posted by Rscotts1
Sounds like a great deal bro! Wish I could have gotten a deal like that when I bought my 2002 XLS, costed me $30,000.00!!

Dude, I hate to tell you this, but "WE got hosed, tommy, We got hosed, OH Davey" Mountain Dew Com.

Sorry, I bought my 02 XLT used for 22K, it did have 30K on the miles. It had ever thing an XLT could have but the moon roof. The XLS's brand spanking new where going for 23,900

But dealers are making room for the 03's

Aug to Dec. are the best months to buy same year Cars and trucks.

4.0SOHC - not sure if you've ever been to Hawaii (RScotts1 location) but there's a premium on almost everything out there..... perhaps $30K for an XLS is the going price.... really depends on location....

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to where he was from, My bad. I am sure things are alot more out there than in the other 48 states (excluding Al.)

i paid $26,000 for my XLS

Originally posted by blichy

The biggest difference there is the mileage--12,000 knocks the price down quite a bit. Also, was the Mounty AWD or 2WD? As for the original price, closer to $36K, assuming it was AWD. Pricing didn't change from '01 (which I used to have), and mine was just shy of $36K sticker (only option it didn't have was a CD changer).

Whoops made a mistake, it had the convienence and Luxury package, the premiere package is like 1500 less than the Luxury. I have the paper here for it, even though it was this past May when we looked at it.

2002 Mountaineer w/ AWD and V8
Trailer Tow package
Convienence and Luxury Groups
Audiophile Sound System
Tri Coat Paint (whats this?)
4.6 sohc V8
Reverse Sensing and Safety Canopy
Moonroof option
Leather trimmed seats
and some other miscelaneous small options.
The sticker showed 37,975 (close to 38,000 so I was off a little) If it was the Premiere edition I could see it being around the 36,000 you mentioned, sorry for the goof.:confused:

Also just noticed he's in Hawaii, but 30,000 for an XLS. I have a ad here from the newspaper for a Maroone Ford dealership:
"Brand New 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4DR w/ V6 engine, Leather, Power windows/Locks/Mirrors, Tilt, Cruise, Premium Sound and Much More! only $23,995."

They also have really cheap prices on the 02' Sport and 03' Expedition XLT and other cars.

SaleenEXP, I am not trying to offend you, but how old are you, I see that you wrote, "94 x, mom gave to lil sister"???
Just curious how one could buy a 27K Mounty for a first Truck, or are you talking about your folks.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
Also just noticed he's in Hawaii, but 30,000 for an XLS. I have a ad here from the newspaper for a Maroone Ford dealership:
"Brand New 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4DR w/ V6 engine, Leather, Power windows/Locks/Mirrors, Tilt, Cruise, Premium Sound and Much More! only $23,995."

They also have really cheap prices on the 02' Sport and 03' Expedition XLT and other cars.

There isn't a dealership in there right mind would sell a truck with a sticker price of 34K for 24K, (brand New) Or I would buy it right now just to resale it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 4.0SOHC
SaleenEXP, I am not trying to offend you, but how old are you, I see that you wrote, "94 x, mom gave to lil sister"???
Just curious how one could buy a 27K Mounty for a first Truck, or are you talking about your folks.

jelous?
I am .... anyway, congrats on your potential purchase...

Back