washer fluid squirter stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

washer fluid squirter stopped working

stolen 5.0

Reaction score
City, State
bridgeport oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 adrenalin
my washer fluid squirter quit working. If you put 12 volts to the washer motor it will squirt though. The fuses are good, is there is a relay in the system somewhere that could have went bad? Or is the switch itself bad?
It's a 1999 ford ranger xlt 4wd 3.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Unplug the switch, then jump the contacts inside of the socket. You will then know if the switch was the culprit.

you happen to know where i can get a diagram of the contacts? Or the amount of resistance should read across the switch?

A switch should have continuity when it closes. Check AutoZone's website for wiring diagrams. You could also download a Ford CD or DVD from WWW.FordCDs.Com.

autozone's diagram didn't have enough information, I guess I'll just bust out the meter and do it the old fashion way, trial and error

I had the same problem in my 1999 XLT, after swapping switch, pumps etc., it wound up being a small relay..I believe it was in a box near the fluid res on one of the frame rails???? I can go out and check my car if needed, Anyway I started swapping them until I found the bad one and then replaced it.

Let me know

JOe

I had the same problem in my 1999 XLT, after swapping switch, pumps etc., it wound up being a small relay..I believe it was in a box near the fluid res on one of the frame rails???? I can go out and check my car if needed, Anyway I started swapping them until I found the bad one and then replaced it.

Let me know

JOe

i figured it was a relay somewhere, i just couldn't figure out where the relay for it was.

Just a little off topic - years ago my grandfather's washer fluid squirter stopped working in his lincoln towncar. Don't ask me how this happened (maybe the top was left off the tank), but it turned out there was a dead something in the tank that had been there for a long time and clogged the pump. It looked like it MAYBE could have been a mouse at some point in time, but it was just plain disgusting.

Back