Washer Pump not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Washer Pump not working

Reaction score
City, State
Goose Bay,N.L.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS
I am having no luck with this washer pump.I press in on the multi-function switch and the wipers come on and no fluid,and the same thing for the rear window.

1-I've checked the relays under the air filter,switched them with two from the fog lamp relays that I know work,and nothing.
2-switched the relay in the main fuse box in the engine compartment with one I know that works and nothing.
3-I noticed that the wires on the conector that joins onto the pump itself were wore a bit,i.e. small hole with some wires broken inside.I took apart the connector and replaced the wires,still nothing.
4-Checked the small fuse in the fuse panel in the dash,looks ok to me.No burning or scorching visible.
5-Multi-f@#kup switch,I mean multi-function switch....I've tried 2 other switches from other Ford's before I checked everything else.
6-I ran a wire from the battery directly to the pump,that works.

Is there something I am missing?Should I dig out the other 2 switches and try them now that I have tried everything else?

There is a fragile little T fitting near the firewall in the center. That thing is prone to braking. There good are replacements in most parts stores.

It's not the fitting,it's the pump itself that is not getting any power.The only time the pump works is when I bypass everything and run a wire directly from the battery to the pump.I read somewhere before that it might be a problem with the GEM module,where might that be located to?

Back