Water in rear axle (does this mean water damage?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water in rear axle (does this mean water damage?)

vanessa2155

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Limited
Just bought a 2010 Explorer from a private seller. After 2 months, I get the oil changed at Ford and they tell me that the rear axle seal is leaking and has water in it. Does that mean that the truck has water damage??? Ford wants $300 to fix it. The truck only has 34,300 miles. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Water in the axle doesn't cause damage unless there is insufficient gear oil in it to begin with. A simple flush and fill of the rear axle with a new good seal and you should be good to go again. However, I thought that the driveline has a 5 year 60,000 mile coverage on it from the factory.

I dont know why they say it's not covered under warranty. I think they suspect it of being driven thru deep water or something.

I would say, ask them and make them explain. Also, maybe talk to the private seller and get more history on the vehicle. Maybe, they (the seller) would be willing to refund you a portion of the repair cost.

It seems to me that if the seal was working properly, no water should be in there so therefore their seal must have failed.

It takes two things, a bad seal anywhere on the housing and submerging the axle under water like maybe retrieving a boat on a boat ramp.

I guess I will let them fix it. Is it horribly detrimental to my truck? Should I consider it damaged goods now? I sure hope not because I have no problems at all with it. Everything works perfectly. I would have never known about this if they hadnt told me.

Considering the age and mileage of the vehicle I would say, no damage done. The rear axle has a good full synthetic 75-140 gear oil in it from the factory and that is what they will be putting back in it so all will be fine.

Well that's some relief. Thanks alot for your advice!

If my rear axle does have water in it, would that cause the seal to leak? I think that Ford should be responsible for the seal regardless.

The only way for large amounts of water to get inside the housing is for a leak to be present first. Then when the axle gets submerged in water it pulls it in. The previous owner must have did something to cause the seal to fail since they typically last 100K + miles.

If my rear axle does have water in it, would that cause the seal to leak? I think that Ford should be responsible for the seal regardless.

Regardless, water or not in the diff the seal should not fail unless there is actual physical damage to the outside of the seal or it is well worn (over 100k mi).

The only way for large amounts of water to get inside the housing is for a leak to be present first. Then when the axle gets submerged in water it pulls it in. The previous owner must have did something to cause the seal to fail since they typically last 100K + miles.

There is also breather hole in the top of the diff that water can enter through. Normally there is a hose in the hole, but nothing secures the hose into the hole

and $300 to change the seal sounds about right at a dealership considering you have to completely remove the rear differential, ie the hubs/rotors/calipers/and axle shafts all have to come out before it can be removed

Ok I called a few different dealerships to get estimates on this job and one place said the fluid would be $90 and another said only $20. What's up with that???

I would say the 90 dollar fluid would be close to the right price for the synthetic that it should have in it. The 20 dollar fluid is probably some cheap bulk fluid that the shop carries and is more then likely the wrong stuff.

There is also breather hole in the top of the diff that water can enter through. Normally there is a hose in the hole, but nothing secures the hose into the hole

The hose can be rubber or metal so it is secure, but run so high up that I didn't want to cause confusion by discussing it because the whole back end of the vehicle would have to be submerged under over 2' of water.

Bull Crap

The hose can be rubber or metal so it is secure, but run so high up that I didn't want to cause confusion by discussing it because the whole back end of the vehicle would have to be submerged under over 2' of water.

That's just a bunch of bull crap. This truck has NOT been submerged in water. They couldn't show me one other single sign of water in the entire truck. There are no electrical problems....nothing. I can't wait to hear what a second opinion has to say. If they tell me that there is nothing wrong with my truck, I'm gonna be so mad.:fire:

I had oil leaking from the rear axle seal at the diff also. Posted in your other thread that I checked around on prices, transmission shops will do this job also, along with any full service maint shop.

$175-$200 was the quoted price and that included the new fluid.

Not even sure how they could tell water was in the diff, unless they drained some of it.

Bought my 06 Exp used and have never towed with it or abused it. Just chalked it up to a normal wear item.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had oil leaking from the rear axle seal at the diff also. Posted in your other thread that I checked around on prices, transmission shops will do this job.

$175-$200 was the quoted price and that included the new fluid.

Not even sure how they could tell water was in the diff, unless they drained some of it.

Bought mine used and have never towed with it or abused it. Just chalked it up to a normal wear item.

Wow that sure is a better price. I wonder how they do it so much cheaper. I hear it's about a 4 hour job.

Back