• Register Today It's free!

water in transmission?

laxmankk11

Reaction score
City, State
damascus. md
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
late last night i was driving with some friends and we went to a spot where the creek goes over the road. i have gone through it once before with no problems, but last night was not the same. i went throw it slow the first time in 4x4 high and i could see the bottom, id say 8 inches deep maybe a foot deep at the worst spot. made it through and had no problems so we went back through it agian. this time i was not in 4wd, it was set to auto and i went through it pretty fast and floored it when i was in the water. when i came back out after the big splash, i noticed my fog lights went out temporarily then came back on no big deal. but then the lights went real dim and there was a loud squeal from the belt. so i got out checked the belt and it was still on and running. (hard to tell in the middle of no where with no cell service at 1:30 am on a wed night) but my car was also cutting off a little. when i was under the hood i popped off the airbox and noticed a good bit of water sucked up in the filter and even a little on the bottom of the box. i just drove it home and tried to let it air out there was still water in it this am tho. but heres the bad part:
my transmission right after started slipping between gear shifts. i went to work this morning but on the way the check engine light came on. called the shop and explained they said it was probably from the water coming in but they told me to bring it in for the tranny. i tihnk i have read before that water can get in the tranny, but i know nothing about off roading, ive had the explorer for 2 months and its completely stock. so my question is do you think i just got water in the tranny causing it to slip between the gear shifts? i already have an issue with the o/d light coming on but code was read and i need to replace the EPC solenoid. its at the shop getting looked at i told them to flush it but i am always all ears to the expert advise on the site:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

when i had the code checked before it was for the tourque converter clutch

I would check the engine oil as well. If it sucked water into the intake, the water may make it into the crank case. Hydrolocking is always a possibility when water enters the intake.

maybe thats why the check engine light came on the morning after?

Back