Water Leak | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mine leaks in from the 3rd row seat belts. It pretty much the same as Fordmanck post #25.
Thanks for the replies but I guess what I really was after would be impossible to tell without taking the headliner off. I realized that after my post. I was curious as to where/how the water is getting into the vehicle in the first place. My apologies for not being clear enough and not realizing I was asking for the near impossible. I guess that info would have to come from the techs working on 'trying' to fix the issue.
I assume it has to be where the roof rails are fastened to the roof in the rain gutter from the one post that supplied pictures. I guess the only other place it could leak into the vehicle would be around the moonroof but my money would be on the roof rails.
It would appear that there definitely has to be a better sealing process used than the current system since it doesn't appear to be very reliable.
Thanks again.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think its from the roof rails too. when I pick it back up I hope I get to see the tech that worked on it so i can ask him the same question. I dropped it off this morning so hopefully they get it fixed. If they don't I'm due for an oils change in like 2 weeks so ill take it back in. Crossing my fingers again.

Got it back but I didn't get to see the tech.
SAM_3296_zps982a9047.jpg

Got it back but I didn't get to see the tech.
So it looks like they are contributing the leak to the rear moonroof panel seal. Interesting. I wonder how many owners that have the leak do not have the moonroof?

Peter

Yea... I just ran the hose near the roof rails and the sun roof for about 3 minutes each and no leaks:) I hope it stays that way.

They checked the roof rails. Removed them.. That was the first thing they tried.then 3 more times taking my car apart.. No luck! The last problem I have found and informed them of this horrible issue ( whenever i see an explorer owner near their car ) was a 2011 xlt .they had water residue in their car... Mine was 2012 limited.. Please ford fix this major issue.. Thank god for ' the lemon law' that helped me resolve my issue with ford.

Actually referred a friend this week as well... He is getting a explorer this week! Thanks for 'stirring the pot'. How about taking a few turns through other vehicle forums. You will find more negative posts on there than on here. Bottom line is ford is the only American car company that did not take the facist buyout! Further, most of the negative posts on here are from people that have fewer than 10 posts, and are just trolls.

My wife loves her 2013 ex. Quite frankly if mine leaked I'd buy $30 seam sealer and fix it myself. My '02 truck's seams are cracking, but do not leak yet. Guess some are too lazy/incompetent to do that.

LOL. Most of us have less then 10 posts because we did a Google search for leaking new Explorers and found this thread you tart. I've owned 10+ Fords over the years and I'm not even 40. I traded my EX in because of the leaks and bought a new 2013 Mustang GT. You go ahead and fix your $40k+ vehicle with bubble gum and cardboard shims, I'll take mine to get fixed the correct way while it's under warranty. The ONLY reason I buy new is so I have a full factory warranty and know the vehicles full history. I feel bad for the poor sap that bought my EX thinking they were getting a low mileage 2011 EX Limited in great condition, it was far from that.

Thanks for the replies but I guess what I really was after would be impossible to tell without taking the headliner off. I realized that after my post. I was curious as to where/how the water is getting into the vehicle in the first place. My apologies for not being clear enough and not realizing I was asking for the near impossible. I guess that info would have to come from the techs working on 'trying' to fix the issue.
I assume it has to be where the roof rails are fastened to the roof in the rain gutter from the one post that supplied pictures. I guess the only other place it could leak into the vehicle would be around the moonroof but my money would be on the roof rails.
It would appear that there definitely has to be a better sealing process used than the current system since it doesn't appear to be very reliable.
Thanks again.

Peter

I was told it was leaking from both the roof rails and the hinge for the hatch. Mine was leaking in two different places. One was the spot I made the video of, the other I believe was fixed before I made the video and it was the roof rails. Either way, this **** should have been fixed 2 years ago. I feel bad for the people portraying as CSR's for Ford acting like they're getting something done. It's got to be tough to have to check the message boards for people with problems. I'm just brand loyal to a fault, unfortunately, and went right back and bought another one.

Another Explorer with a rear leak

I just purchased my 2011 used with around 29,000 miles and noticed the rear spair tire under mat is completely soaked. It also felt like is was wet on the left side under the carpet. I dried everything out and have parked it in the garage because I was too busy with a family health situation to take it in. Today I went to drive it and the car wont turnover but I have full battery on my tester so i had to have it towed to the dealer and told them about the water issue and that they would have to soak it with a hose. I Also told them that both mirror turn singles have been badly fogged up with huge condensation drops. Of course the two weeks parked they dried up so hopefully they soak those as well or I will post some pics to show. I will keep you guys posted!
Brad

2013 ford explorer sport - LEAKING!!?!

ugh, im so irritated right now, as i am sure anyone would be. i apologize in advance for this long winded post. i just dont know what else to turn to. maybe someone here might have some ideas....

2,000 miles on my new beauty and there is already some kind of alarming problem. memorial day weekend we got hammered with wind and rain......monday we went to go somewhere with the whole family, thus loaded up in the explorer. in the backseat were my 2 girl's booster seats DRENCHED with something. i immediately thought they must have broken my golden rule and brought liquids into mommy's new truck. until i discovered the seats were wet, the speakers were glistening with water droplets......and the seatbelts were soaked. tried researching, i could find nothing.

brought it to service this past wednesday. service manager says he walked around truck for an hour with a hose on my truck, found nothing. well, thought he might have found a slight hole in the weather stripping on passenger back door. i told him that does NOT explain all the water in the ass end of my truck.

today, andrea is making her debut.....not windy at all.......there is water in the ass end of my truck!!! drops of water on the wheel wells, my daughter's booster seat already soaked and the seatbelts drenched!!! i called the service manager and asked him to come to my workplace (as i cannot leave) so he can see exactly what i mean. he doesnt seem to believe me, since i cant find the source. but hell, if i could find the source i wouldnt need to call him!!

im so aggravated. why spend all this money on a brand new truck that fits my family when its a POS??

whats worse, is wednesday i was told ford will not cover a vehicle big enough to fit my family as a rental!! wait, what? i traded my xterra in for a bigger vehicle for my family and now, if it needs to go in for repairs, what am i supposed to do??

/endrant.:mad:

What I would do is find another dealer, pay the small difference to a bigger vehicle if this is your only vehicle....

but first maybe go talk to the dealerships GM in a nice but firm tone askign for his help and what would HE do in your situation ?

you can always escalate if that doesn't work....

good luck...

What I would do is find another dealer, pay the small difference to a bigger vehicle if this is your only vehicle....

but first maybe go talk to the dealerships GM in a nice but firm tone askign for his help and what would HE do in your situation ?

you can always escalate if that doesn't work....

good luck...

the service manager said he found me something to accommodate my family and that he will eat the extra cost. i am glad he will be, cuz its not coming out of my pocket. :)

thankfully the service manager at our dealership is pretty understanding about all of this and seems like he is trying to help us the best he can.

i was directed to this thread this morning, when i apparently started a thread in the wrong area. i have to say that i got mixed feelings after reading the 9 pages of posts herein.
the first of being sick to my stomach that there are SO MANY WHAT-COULD-BE answers to the leaking issue. the second of the overwhelming feeling that there are people on this forum that want to call us trolls simply because we have issues that should not be issues with our BRAND NEW vehicles.

look, i dont give a damn who the manufacturer is of a vehicle, if a person (like me) spends 48,000+ on a brand new vehicle for their family, then the least they could do is expect quality. apparently, we might be expecting too much. i dont understand how a company can overlook an issue with leaking since 2011. that just doesnt make sense. i have had my sport for a month, and its about to sit at the dealer all weekend, because they cant look at it until monday. this is pathetic, to say the least. to top off the sick feeling, im gathering that the issue will likely not even be fixed the first time.

so, what do i do? print all the pages in this forum and bring it to my service manager? meanwhile, i have to try to push back the idea that my sport might have been sitting at a dealership somewhere just drinking in rain and then mildew and mold growing and growing before it got to me.

or, do i happily drive around this dodge journey that ford so "graciously" rented for me and pray and hope that the leak in my sport is fixed??

im really hoping that when i do get to have my explorer back that it will be the only time i need to bring it in. after reading this thread im not so confident in that, at all.

the service manager said he found me something to accommodate my family and that he will eat the extra cost...
Me&myFord,

I’m glad your dealer is taking care of you. I saw the PM you sent me and I shot a reply; please see your inbox for the details.

Cory

Unfortunately, I am taking my vehicle in for the third time for the same leak in the same area. I will be looking at the Lemon Law this evening since my vehicle still qualifies. Anyone done this and what advise can you provide?

Yepp same here I'll be going in on Tuesday for the 3rd time. This is really annoying. I went in this morning to make an appointment since I was close by and the guy couldn't believe it.

Thanks folks,

I went to the dealer and they couldn't see the vehicle. he soonest they said I could get an appointment was after the 20th of May. The service advisor said he had never heard of any leaking problems in the new Explorer design. He looked in the computer did a query on both SSMS and TSBS and it reported back that Ford has not reported any problems with the symptoms of water leaking into the passenger area or the Cargo/bed area. I don't understand why Ford has no reports regarding this issue, and yet all this activity here with people having this problem with their vehicles, as well as us with our new vehicle. I pulled the drain plugs in the tub to drain the water and set the cover out in the sun to dry with towels under it. It is ruined. I also put towels under the carpet to help draw the water out of the carpet. After drying the spare tire tub I powdered the whole tub with baby powder to hopefully catch the tracks of the water so I can at least isolate which side is leaking. I am hoping to help the dealer in their diagnostic if I can at least point them in some direction. I also noticed the outer seal at the top of the door that seals the hatch to the roofline is broken off and hanging by only about 8 inches of double back tape. This is outside the hatch seal so I don't know how much it affects the leak, but it has allowed debris (leaves etc) to run down the outer channel around the hatch and then accumulate inside the rubber seal of the tail light assembly. There is a gap there between the rubber of the seal and the body on both right and left taillight assemblies. Jammed full of that debris. Not sure where the water and debris goes once entering that spot, but it doesn't exit the bottom end of the seal.

Crystal, I am sending the info you requested.

Thanks,

Dan

As with Peters post - re: only the rear hatch - this is common in rear hatches - i had a similar thing happen to my Honda and it would always have debris at the inside top of the hatch and along the sides, ending at the bottom of the hatch.
The debris stay, the water goes into weep holes that are there. Frequently because of this, the rear bkup lights would have moisture in them as they are on that part of the hatch, near the end of the 'gutters', not enough to damage the bulbs or leak into the car, but it happened all the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Major rain in NYC today, I checked mine at 6:30pm after all day of rain and no sign of any water inside. Pouring again tonight - I drove abut 30 miles and parked for the night. Will check in the morning. Hopefully I am ok.

Back