Water Leak | Page 43 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the Forum Tfugate.:wavey:
Unfortunately your dealer is correct. Water leaks are one of the items not covered by the Ford ESP. There are several issues that began with the 2011 model redesign that are still there with today's 2015 model.

Peter

Damn it Peter.. quit being so quick lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You win some, you lose some.:D

win some loose some

I think the post that says you win some and loose some, seems rather curt and like a real smart ass. I thought I would see if I could some information on this forum, not sarcasm. Fortunately, I called my original dealer where I purchased the car and for where I have traded for years. He plans to fix it for free. Fortunately I have a great dealer/friend who cares about his customers even if Ford doesn't. I hope the person who wrote the sarcastic remark realizes what goes around comes around. I hope one day you are in a difficult situation and someone really lets you know they don't really give a crap either.

I am sure Peter was referring to the post that Blwnsmoke posted.. Peter would never give anyone a hard time on their issues with their Explorer no matter what the issue..He is always here to help.

I think the post that says you win some and loose some, seems rather curt and like a real smart ass. I thought I would see if I could some information on this forum, not sarcasm. Fortunately, I called my original dealer where I purchased the car and for where I have traded for years. He plans to fix it for free. Fortunately I have a great dealer/friend who cares about his customers even if Ford doesn't. I hope the person who wrote the sarcastic remark realizes what goes around comes around. I hope one day you are in a difficult situation and someone really lets you know they don't really give a crap either.

Exactly as Miami-Beach stated.. it was a comment to me because he beat me by 1 minute in posting. Had nothing to do with you and an apology should be made. Peter does nothing but help on here and is one of the forum moderators.. he would never act like that towards someone looking for help.

Sheesh...

Exactly as Miami-Beach stated.. it was a comment to me because he beat me by 1 minute in posting. Had nothing to do with you and an apology should be made. Peter does nothing but help on here and is one of the forum moderators.. he would never act like that towards someone looking for help.

Sheesh...
Yes, it was a reply to your post. I guess I should have used the 'quote' response to specify that. My error.:(

Peter

Any news from the dealership today, ExCrystal? If you need me to step in and help, just let me know. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Update:

The water leak is fixed, but a few other issues came up. Kinda disappointed as I've had this car a little over a week now, despite being a manager's demo car.

Update:

The water leak is fixed, but a few other issues came up. Kinda disappointed as I've had this car a little over a week now, despite being a manager's demo car.

Where was the leak from exactly and how did they fix it? My 2011 with 48000 miles developed the same thing down 3 row seatbelt about a year ago. Dealer couldn't reproduce it in the shop.

Where was the leak from exactly and how did they fix it? My 2011 with 48000 miles developed the same thing down 3 row seatbelt about a year ago. Dealer couldn't reproduce it in the shop.

Esandye,

I'll post the pictures I took for my dealer when I noticed the problem. It sounds like your leak is coming from (or near) the same place mine did! I don't remember what my dealer said, or if he said the exact area, but he knew "exactly where the problem was" when I initially brought up the issue.

I'll post the pictures in a few mins.

Here are the pics when I noticed the leak:

282oxoj.jpg

2uf94z6.jpg

2njiwdu.jpg

AFTER THE FIX for a better understanding of where the leak was "showing" inside the cabin:

2lmxyj5.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Mine never showed up anywhere except dripping down the Passenger side 3rd seat belt with moderate to heavy rain. It is disheartening to think this has been going on for 4 model years with no change in Fords manufacturing practices. You would think they would have fixed this by now and I know they have heard plenty about this (40 pages on this thread alone!). It's worrisome for the "new" 2016's as well since the body seems to be basically the same.

Thanks for the pics. Mine never showed up anywhere except dripping down the Passenger side 3rd seat belt with moderate to heavy rain. It is disheartening to think this has been going on for 4 model years with no change in Fords manufacturing practices. You would think they would have fixed this by now and I know they have heard plenty about this (40 pages on this thread alone!). It's worrisome for the "new" 2016's as well since the body seems to be basically the same.

I completely agree. It is inexcusable that this happened to a new car after one week of owning it, regardless of manager's demo or not.

Quick solutions at the service desk for a possible manufacturing defect is just laziness on Ford's end.

In regards to the water coming down the 3rd row seat belt during mod/heavy rain, you really need to bring that up again, and show your dealer these pictures. Chances are it's from the same area, just yours is "appearing" in a different part of the cabin, but obviously near the same area.

After getting my car back, I see the dealer put more/resealed the liftgate area, etc. As most people have noted, it's either the liftgate area or the roof rails I think.

If this has been going on for a while, check your spare tire well for rust or other damage from water (if it got that bad). Also keep an eye out for mold!

I don't know if this helped or will help at all, but I sincerely hope you get this problem fixed ASAP.

EDIT: Take pics when it happens again!!

Update:

Need me to step in and assist, ExCrystal? I'm sure your regional customer service manager will want to do all they can to help you fall back in love with your Explorer. To get this into their hands, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Need me to step in and assist, ExCrystal? I'm sure your regional customer service manager will want to do all they can to help you fall back in love with your Explorer. To get this into their hands, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Hi, Crystal--

Thanks for your support, but the issues are already in the process of being fixed with my dealer.

Hi, Crystal--

Thanks for your support, but the issues are already in the process of being fixed with my dealer.

I'm glad your dealership is taking great care of you, ExCrystal. If you need any help from my neck of the woods, I'll be here.

Crystal

i just noticed the other day that my explorer is leaking in the rear as well passenger side it seems hopefully this weekend ill just take my roof rack off and re seal it myself hopefully that will fix it fingers crossed

i just noticed the other day that my explorer is leaking in the rear as well passenger side it seems hopefully this weekend ill just take my roof rack off and re seal it myself hopefully that will fix it fingers crossed

Hi, Turner, since you're doing it yourself, I thought I'd show you where my dealer "resealed" some parts. The top view of the lift gate looks like a poor job, but the issue has been fixed.

I hope these give you an idea of where to DIY:

1zvfab.jpg

2kg4g3.jpg

Hi, Turner, since you're doing it yourself, I thought I'd show you where my dealer "resealed" some parts. The top view of the lift gate looks like a poor job, but the issue has been fixed.

I hope these give you an idea of where to DIY:
I think the majority of the water leaks have been due to a poor seal between the roof and the rear of the roof rail, mostly on the driver's side.

Peter

I think the majority of the water leaks have been due to a poor seal between the roof and the rear of the roof rail, mostly on the driver's side.

Peter

Peter,

The person I posted the pictures of the sealant for is reporting a leak on the passenger side--even the person beforehand who stated they have a leak appearing in the cabin via the 3rd row passenger side seat belt.

I hope the pictures I posted can help these two individuals--any many more--regardless of which side. :):thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New 2015 Explorer XLT

Hello, I 'm new to the forum. I just got my new Explorer last Wednesday afternoon and to my surprise yesterday when I went to install the new cargo liner the padding under the carpet was wet on the passenger side. I took it to the dealer this morning and feel sick about my purchase. As much info on water leak issues in the back I can't believe my new '15 has this problem. I hope they can fix it but there will always be that thought in the back of my mind…is it leaking. I hope it's just the roof rail which from the forum seems like a easy fix for the dealer?

Back