Water Leak | Page 60 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I have been trying to figure out a strange smell every time I put on heater for floor vent

Today I notice the driver side carpet under my rubber mat is wet . Not sure if this is just water or leaked coolant. Cannot figure out where the water could come from everywhere looks dry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All I can suggest is to see my post #1176 on the previous page which is a reply to another member with the same issue. I'm guessing you don't have a Husky or WeatherTech liner so is it possible the water may have come from melted snow/slush that ran off the mat?

Peter

Well, I fixed my water leaks. (2013 Limited) Had water in the floorboards and dripping from the sunroof switches. Pulled the headliner down just to have a look, and then opened the sunroof and poured water in the drains. Both back drains worked fine, the rear passenger side drains out the back underneath the rear hatch pillar (have to have it open hatch to see it). The back left drains around the left rear tire. The front two drains were clogged, they are both supposed to drain behind the front tires on each side. My drain lines from the sunroof were secure, so I just poured some water in them and used compressed air to blow out the clogs. They drain fine now and no more water leaks. I previously fixed the leaks in the rear by putting sealant on the cracked body seams underneath the rear hatch by the hatch hinges. It seems all of the leaks are fixed for now. Note: as I was pulling the plastic trim pieces off by the windshield to get the headliner down, noticed they were wet on the inside, I assume the front drains would overflow into the headliner, then into these trim pieces and the water would make its was down to the floorboards soaking the carpet.
Hope this helps someone with their water intrusion issues.

What type sealant is everybody using for the roof repairs? What brand?
Thanks

Just got my new-to-me 2017 Ford Explorer Limited. Has a moonroof/sunroof. Parked reversed in my sloped driveway with the front angled down. Rain last night. I get into the car, drips on the console right below the radio, in front of the cup holder. I push on the roof. Behind the sunglass holder, where the roof meets the glass and rearview mirror it is soaked. The rest of the roof all along the front glass is damp. But it is soaked to the point I can collect water, behind the sunglass holder.

I'm assuming it was the front windshield not sealed properly and the water collected in the roof at the center point and pooled.

Anyone experienced this?

E86B4CED-73A0-4500-AFB9-397110925A0F.jpeg

4E358D0B-6CDF-45D2-8690-9E1B4C4375E6.jpeg

Your thread was merged with this one.
It is possible the moonroof drain tubes are blocked although in most such cases the water tends to pool in the footwells.
See post #1184 on this page.

Peter

I know this is a long, old thread. I have a 2013 that my wife bought used in 2014, and it’s been leaking forever down the rear seatbelts. No sunroof. Apparently it leaked since new because there is clear sealant gooped all over the back corners on the weld seams. Mine might be leaking in at least 3 places....I took the roof rack off, the bolt cavities were full of water, the gaskets deteriorated, and the weep holes plugged by the gasket. Ford designed weep holes in the roof rack mount and the added a gasket that seals the most important ones...I drilled new weep holes, cleaned everything up, used a sticky rubber gasket material, and sealant and put the rails back on....

It’s also leaking in the grommets on the back under the rear hatch. I pulled those out and cleaned them, and gooped them up with sealant and put them back in.

I also have some cracks in the seam sealer around the back corner of the roof where it turns down to hatch gasket area. I will deal with that another day. Also inspected hinge area, it’s dry.

What a miserable design!

View attachment 176636

View attachment 176637

View attachment 176638

View attachment 176639

CC1AF2D1-11AB-4E39-8704-C43BD821C2A2.jpeg

897F37FA-8EEC-4FEC-BBB5-87DE06DC06F5.jpeg

32BAE683-928D-46E8-9E5B-DA4F17521BF1.jpeg

F73B9696-75E0-452E-B91F-A81B927C026F.jpeg

I know this is a long, old thread. I have a 2013 that my wife bought used in 2014, and it’s been leaking forever down the rear seatbelts. No sunroof. Apparently it leaked since new because there is clear sealant gooped all over the back corners on the weld seams. Mine might be leaking in at least 3 places....I took the roof rack off, the bolt cavities were full of water, the gaskets deteriorated, and the weep holes plugged by the gasket. Ford designed weep holes in the roof rack mount and the added a gasket that seals the most important ones...I drilled new weep holes, cleaned everything up, used a sticky rubber gasket material, and sealant and put the rails back on....

It’s also leaking in the grommets on the back under the rear hatch. I pulled those out and cleaned them, and gooped them up with sealant and put them back in.

I also have some cracks in the seam sealer around the back corner of the roof where it turns down to hatch gasket area. I will deal with that another day. Also inspected hinge area, it’s dry.

What a miserable design!

View attachment 176636

View attachment 176637

View attachment 176638

View attachment 176639

View attachment 176640

View attachment 176641

View attachment 176642

View attachment 176643

Mine originated in the Roof Rack bolts too - and the water ran down and presented in the right rear seatbelt assembly. Once the roof rack bolts was fixed the leaking stopped. My dealer also assumed it was in the rear hatch and gooped the hell out of it trying to seal it off the first time around.

What a miserable design!

My 2013 is leaking for the second time. It was repaired in 2014 and yesterday morning I went out to find 2" of water standing in the passenger side footwells (front and 2nd row). So that made for an interesting morning with the shop vac.

Sunroof drain tubes are flowing fine.

I think it's coming from the roof rack.

HORRIBLE design.

Did your fix work?

My 2013 is leaking for the second time. It was repaired in 2014 and yesterday morning I went out to find 2" of water standing in the passenger side footwells (front and 2nd row). So that made for an interesting morning with the shop vac.
Sunroof drain tubes are flowing fine.
I think it's coming from the roof rack.
HORRIBLE design.

Did your fix work?
I know you said the drains are not plugged but water pooling in the front and 2nd row footwells is usually a sign of problems with the moonroof drains. Water leaks from the roof rails usually result is water draining down the 3rd row seat belts and into the spare tire well. Have you checked for water there?

Peter

What a miserable design!
Do you have a moonroof Steve? If so, the 3rd picture would be one of 4 moonroof drains.

Peter

I know you said the drains are not plugged but water pooling in the front and 2nd row footwells is usually a sign of problems with the moonroof drains. Water leaks from the roof rails usually result is water draining down the 3rd row seat belts and into the spare tire well. Have you checked for water there?

Peter

Yes, thanks. I think it has a lot to do with whether you park your EX nose up or nose down. I generally park nose down. I have had water in the back before, but it's dry right now. I tested the front drains left and right and they both drain a full 16 oz of water in a matter of seconds, discharging right behind the front wheels.

Greetings. My 2015 Explorer Limited (55k miles) is at a Ford dealership right now. We noticed gallons of water collecting in the spare tire well and moisture on the windows at various times. The dealer is saying that the body sealer(??) around the lift gate hinges is the culprit. To me this seems like a structural, Ford workmanship issue and Ford should pay for the repair. However, they are telling me that its my problem. I am also seeing now that it is a relatively common issue. Does anyone have any successful experiences getting the dealer to cover the repair? I was considering buying a Lincoln Aviator from this same dealer, but I may not if they cannot work with me.

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one.
As you can see you are not alone by any means. I would be very surprised if the dealer would cover the repair as it really has nothing to do with them and your vehicle is now 5 years old. Are you in the market for the Aviator now? If so, then they may be able to do something for you. If not, I'm afraid you are on your own.

Peter

Greetings. My 2015 Explorer Limited (55k miles) is at a Ford dealership right now. We noticed gallons of water collecting in the spare tire well and moisture on the windows at various times. The dealer is saying that the body sealer(??) around the lift gate hinges is the culprit. To me this seems like a structural, Ford workmanship issue and Ford should pay for the repair. However, they are telling me that its my problem. I am also seeing now that it is a relatively common issue. Does anyone have any successful experiences getting the dealer to cover the repair? I was considering buying a Lincoln Aviator from this same dealer, but I may not if they cannot work with me.

Unfortunately this is an issue with the 11-15MY. I'm not sure if the hatch hinges are the issue, usually it is the sealer that rots where the roof rack bolts to the roof (not every time but majority is this).

Several have removed the rails, clean the mounting areas up, put some new sealer down and attach the roof bars (if this is the problem) again.

Ford redesigned it for the 16+ vehicles and I do not believe it has been an issue since. Unfortunately it is a 3yr/36k warranty for this so you are past it by quite a bit. I do not see Ford covering this.

Ok guys, I have a 2017 and had recently noticed some discoloration on my rear passenger corner. Upon further review I came to realize it was getting wet where the seat belt opening area was.

I pulled it all apart and found it to be leaking. As well as a very wet spare tire area.

It turned out the back corner has some cracks right where the water is channeled to go down
20200130_043058.jpg
. So if the car is parked in any manner where the rear is lower than the front, the water goes right over this crack and inside the car. I am 2 months out of the warranty period so I decided to pull all the interior panels off and investigate. (It's a 8 mm bolt to remove the corner trim piece).

I will have to seal the cracks but this is a major disappointment that the issues continue with 2017 on explorers....

20200130_043132.jpg

Greetings Fellow Explorer Owners

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited and have water pouring in the back seat down the seatbelt and into the spare tire compartment. Also, when it rains, sometimes I have water pour out of the front interior lights near the sunroof controls. Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Chris

Greetings Fellow Explorer Owners

I have a 2012 Explorer Limited and have water pouring in the back seat down the seatbelt and into the spare tire compartment. Also, when it rains, sometimes I have water pour out of the front interior lights near the sunroof controls. Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Chris

Your thread was moved to the existing thread on this issue. It is either the roof rail mounting points that have failed (cracked open) which is the cause for the 3rd row usually or the moonroof drains clogged which is normally the cause for the front water issues or both. Lots of reading in here but everything you need to know is posted already.

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
Looks like blwnsmoke has covered it all.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking for help!

Every time it rains, which it rained almost every day in February this year, water gets inside the liftgate door. There are two drain plugs which I can remove to let the water out, but I cannot figure out where the water is coming in from. I have caulked every area I know possible, the sun/moon roof (which was the cause of another water leak in another area), around the window on the liftgate door, removed the trim paneling on the liftgate to see if I could spot anything noticeable, but nothing has worked so far. I asked a rep at Ford if they had any ideas for me to look into when I called last time to make an oil change appointment and all he said was I'd have to bring it in and he hasn't ever been made aware of this issue happening before. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help in appreciated!

Back