Water Leak | Page 62 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I did a close inspection of the areas in question. I had both large gaps along the weld seam by the hinge and respectable cracks in the corners by the C pillar. The plastic flap sweep thing posed an interesting obstacle but with proper wedging of popsicle sticks, I got it out of the way just enough to not permanently adhere it to the wrong spot. Pay attention to the sweep

CLEAN THE AREA WELL. I wiped with paper towels, used a toothbrush to get rid of the bigger stuff, squirted some isopropyl and tooth brushed the iso around paying special attention to the cracks (duh), wiped with a paper towel again, let dry. Only took a few minutes.

That 3M urethane seam sealer is THE READ DEAL, so be mindful. This isn't hardware store RTV or something you might have around the house. We are talking some serious OEM stuff. If you make an oops use isopropyl alcohol. I applied a small bead then used small popsicle sticks to flatten and fill in the voids, like frosting a cake. It doesn't flow much so you may need to spread it in place. It's a tight spot to work so prep everything beforehand. Working time is around 10 min. Probably best done with the hatch off, but I didn't want to go there.

I'll take pictures later. I did it at work during my scant free time. Hopefully it will dry/set in this cooler weather. Expecting rain in 2 days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Popsicle sticks can be a very handy item. I keep a container of them around as well Rob. :D

Peter

Leaking from 3rd row seatbelts after rain. Anyone else have this problem and solutions?

F420E461-1933-489C-A9A4-DC9A47E703A1.jpeg

Leaking from 3rd row seatbelts after rain. Anyone else have this problem and solutions?
Your post was moved to this thread. Many members have had this issue and the leak is likely coming from the roof rail mounting point. That and the liftgate seam appear to be the two most common issues. Have you checked your spare tire well for water?

Peter

If had myExplorer for 10 years now, by far the longest vehicle I have ever owned. Overall its be fine not too many issues. Recently I have discovered after heavy rains I have a puddle of water in the rear cargo area. Fortunately I have a Husky liner and as far as I can tell the water has pooled there. Has anyone else had this problem, if so does anyone know where the water is coming from and how can I fix it.

Thanks

If had myExplorer for 10 years now, by far the longest vehicle I have ever owned. Overall its be fine not too many issues. Recently I have discovered after heavy rains I have a puddle of water in the rear cargo area. Fortunately I have a Husky liner and as far as I can tell the water has pooled there. Has anyone else had this problem, if so does anyone know where the water is coming from and how can I fix it.

Thanks

Your thread was merged with the current topic on this issue. Although a very lengthy thread, it could be clogged moonroof drains, cracks in the mounting holes for the roof bars, cracks near hinges of rear liftgate etc. Many pictures posted here so I'd spend some time scanning through.

Thanks
Do you have a moonroof?

Thanks
If it pooled in the cargo area it could be a leak from one of the roof rail mounting points. Have you checked your spare tire well for moisture? Leaks from the moonroof drain tubes usually end up pooling in the footwells depending on which one is the issue.

Peter

No moonroof.
Ok. The first time mine leaked the dealer thought it was from the back hatch.

Look above somewhere for my pic. I show what they fixed that time.

Your thread was merged with the current topic on this issue. Although a very lengthy thread, it could be clogged moonroof drains, cracks in the mounting holes for the roof bars, cracks near hinges of rear liftgate etc. Many pictures posted here so I'd spend some time scanning through.
Thanks.. I tried the search function and I was not able to find anything. I will start my reading.

@MM07 Thank you I saw the pictures... Do you know what kind of tape that is?

@MM07 Thank you I saw the pictures... Do you know what kind of tape that is?
Did you check the spare tire well for water? As for kind of tape, if suspect cracks in those areas, I'm sure duct tape would do as a temporary fix to see if that stops the issue.

Peter

Yes, I have a 16 Platinum that just started leaking onto my nav screen. going to dealer this week.
I'm having this problem with my 2013 Explorer. Has been to the dealer twice and it's still leaking. Got in touch with Ford.com and they are no help!

I'm having this problem with my 2013 Explorer. Has been to the dealer twice and it's still leaking. Got in touch with Ford.com and they are no help!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the water is dripping down the 3rd-row seat belt chances are it is due to a roof rail mount leaking. The other common area is a weld seam on the liftgate as per pictures in this thread. Do you have water in the spare tire well? What has the dealer done in the 2 trips you've made?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the water is dripping down the 3rd-row seat belt chances are it is due to a roof rail mount leaking. The other common area is a weld seam on the liftgate as per pictures in this thread. Do you have water in the spare tire well? What has the dealer done in the 2 trips you've made?

Peter
Looks like all they have done was apply some type of silicone or sealant around the little black knobs under the lift gate and around the top near the hinges.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like all they have done was apply some type of silicone or sealant around the little black knobs under the lift gate and around the top near the hinges.
Is the water coming down the 3rd-row seat belt? If so, it likely isn't an issue with the liftgate, at least not the bottom. I'm guessing when you say "little black knobs" you are referring to the little 'bumpers' and not the drain holes.

Peter

Back