Water Leak | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the water coming down the 3rd-row seat belt? If so, it likely isn't an issue with the liftgate, at least not the bottom. I'm guessing when you say "little black knobs" you are referring to the little 'bumpers' and not the drain holes.

Peter
Yes, down the seatbelt and also the back floor and tire well. Also, yes the little round black rubber seal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, down the seatbelt and also the back floor and tire well. Also, yes the little round black rubber seal.
I would think it might be the roof rail mount that is the issue. That was/is the most common one.

Peter

I purchase a 2011 Limited 4WD Explorer in July. I was recently on vacation this past weekend and encountered a lot of rain. When my 8 year old sat in the 3rd row and buckled the seatbelt, water started streaming down the webbing and I also noticed water on the speaker grill. This has happened twice so far.

This was the on the Right Rear 3rd Row. Any idea where the water is entering?

I purchase a 2011 Limited 4WD Explorer in July. I was recently on vacation this past weekend and encountered a lot of rain. When my 8 year old sat in the 3rd row and buckled the seatbelt, water started streaming down the webbing and I also noticed water on the speaker grill. This has happened twice so far.

This was the on the Right Rear 3rd Row. Any idea where the water is entering?
My 2012 did the same thing. Roof rack bolt rusted and caused water to drain in by seatbelt assembly. Right rear 3rd row seat. Dealer covered mine after finally figuring out where the leak started and the did a full detail on the inside.

My car has been leaving a small puddle of water in the cargo area after it rains. It honestly doesn't happen all the time but more often than not.

I have seen water run down the seatbelt in 3rd row so i know its coming in around there.

Today i decided to pull this thing apart. Not very easy with all seats + air matress installed but to it.

So i can see water stains right where the seatbelt mounts up top. I remove the seatbelt and got better look. There are only two possible culprits i could identify...

1) Rear hatch wiring harness grommet
2) Body joint molding/sealant on roof

The body joint/sealer is located directly above the grommet area so it could just be dripping onto the grommet. I decided to put RTV around the grommet inner channel.

Does anyone have a similar leak and what did you find? I'm keeping this apart until I can confirm it is fixed. The rust on the rear cross brace is clear indicator this has been going on for a while. Time to end it...

I don't have this leak but it reminds me that Makuloco posted a youtube video about a grommet failure for the backup camera causing a leak, so I might address that while the RTV is out and the back is in disarray anyway.

I can't really make anything out from your pics, due to not seeing same thing in person so the zoom and unknown camera angle is a factor.

If it is too clean to tell where water is running, you could mist some detergent solution onto the area (detergent so it sheets instead of beading up, barely enough to wet it) then puff some talcum powder onto the area, then after it dries if any water runs through the area, it will leave a trail.

I always watch Brian's videos. That area is clean and not leaking in my case.

Heres a better picture of the rear hatch harness entering the body. This point of view is looking directly where the speaker would be. The sealer on the top is where the roof meets the body.

You can see a faint line running down which is old water residue.

The sealer does look like it's not applied very well, think i'd brush on or put a bead of RTV over it, or there are various non-acid cure goops in the 14oz caulking style tubes that are more economical than the smaller tubes of automotive RTV. Problem is, if the water is making it that far, it may still eventually rust the metal behind whatever you put down.

My car has been leaving a small puddle of water in the cargo area after it rains. It honestly doesn't happen all the time but more often than not.
I have seen water run down the seatbelt in 3rd row so i know its coming in around there.
Today i decided to pull this thing apart. Not very easy with all seats + air matress installed but to it.
So i can see water stains right where the seatbelt mounts up top. I remove the seatbelt and got better look. There are only two possible culprits i could identify...

The body joint/sealer is located directly above the grommet area so it could just be dripping onto the grommet. I decided to put RTV around the grommet inner channel.

Does anyone have a similar leak and what did you find? I'm keeping this apart until I can confirm it is fixed. The rust on the rear cross brace is clear indicator this has been going on for a while. Time to end it...
Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature.
In many cases the type of leak you mentioned was from the roof rail mounting point.

Peter

Do you have a moon roof?

I do have the dual glass roof but i checked the drains and all look good.

I also check the roof rails and they are rock solid tight.

I think it may be leaking around the weld on the left hatch hinge bracket on the roof. I knew this area was prone to cracking. I found if I press on that area I can see it move water slightly and it is indeed cracked. The other side looks fine. I just bought some JB weld and I will take care of that next weekend.

I do have the dual glass roof but i checked the drains and all look good.

I also check the roof rails and they are rock solid tight.

I think it may be leaking around the weld on the left hatch hinge bracket on the roof. I knew this area was prone to cracking. I found if I press on that area I can see it move water slightly and it is indeed cracked. The other side looks fine. I just bought some JB weld and I will take care of that next weekend.
Ok. Look at my posts in this thread. I had a few things done to solve the problem. First was a fix at the top by the life gate when it was open. Then it happened again and they replaced the entire gasket around the dual moonroof. That fixed the issue.

I did not read through all 63 pages but at the parts house of your choice is a orange metal tube of windshield sealant, the stuff starts off very much like a liquid so it runs to the leaking spot and seals it, it worked great on all the leaks on my 96 both rear cargo windows and front windshield, and if you careful to not get it all over it does not leave any nasty glue marks you can see. If a seal has come loose from a door jamb or something of that sort the automotive goop woks really good as well for resealing or 100% silicone, i have had great luck with these products anyway. Hope this helps some one. The window seal is permatex brand if i recall right.

Fixed is Fixed right!

The sunroof/moonroof drains, toward front of my explorer was clogged, and car was parked at angle in big rain and this is what I woke up to!

I learned there is a drain plug underneath the rear seat foot pan that makes draining this simple (I didn't realize until mostly drained manually).

PXL_20210923_161611737.jpg

Well, just discovered my 2013 is leaking like an SOB. Got around 4" of water in my spare tire area. Wife is pissed because all the emergency kid stuff, diaper bag, extra clothes etc. Along with my extra pills I keep in the car in case of emergency.

This is seriously pissing me off. I had a small drip that leaked out the map lights before but had no idea this **** could happen.
Really, really disappointed in ford's build quality if it's the suspected welds I've seen mentioned as the culprit.

I was less than thrilled with the incessant dripping, but after some careful cleanup, alcohol prep, painters tape, popsicle sticks, and lots of patience, I've been 100% leak free.

Worth every penny...

3M Urethane Seam Sealer, 08367, Black Color, High Solids, Permanently Flexible, 310 mL/10.5 fl oz Cartridge Amazon product ASIN B00A9ZR8HO

I am in here a few pages back. I battled the swing gate hinge leak 2 winters ago(plus I live in the Seattle area and its always raining). It was very irritating.

I don't remember the type but I used a marine sealant and also have been leak free for 2 years now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have any issues with the roof leaking? I think it's coming from the luggage rack bolt. When it's out in the rain, water leaks down the rear seat belts. Anyone else experience this?

Back