Water Leak | Page 64 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tighten the bolt then? or if needde rtv can seal it. probably comes down the belt cause it drips from roof down the pillar then belt? nto sure where its located though... welcoem to EF! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone have any issues with the roof leaking? I think it's coming from the luggage rack bolt. When it's out in the rain, water leaks down the rear seat belts. Anyone else experience this?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the handy 'Search' feature. As you can see, you are not alone. The leak you described is very common in this thread.

Peter

I'm trying figure out how to fix my leaks/associated issues, which are similar/same as many of those described previously. I have a 2013 XLT with moonroof.
I could really use advice on how to possibly remove the interior panels and how one actually accesses the areas to seal the seams mentioned. I'm just at a loss as to what to do since I can find no one that can or will repair this issue. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum Gracie. :wave:
If the water is running down the 3rd row seatbelt then it is likely coming from where the roof rail fastens to the roof. It has been a while since I've read through this thread so I can't recall how that was addressed. I don't think it was done from the inside. Chances are that you'll have water in the spare tire well. If it is from the liftgate seam, then I think there are some posts that have addressed that.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Gracie. :wave:
If the water is running down the 3rd row seatbelt then it is likely coming from where the roof rail fastens to the roof. It has been a while since I've read through this thread so I can't recall how that was addressed. I don't think it was done from the inside. Chances are that you'll have water in the spare tire well. If it is from the liftgate seam, then I think there are some posts that have addressed that.

Peter
I do have that issue and found have found water standing in the floor of front and second row passenger side. I've been treating the "symptoms" by having 2 large Damp-Rid pails to help keep the humidity/moisture down and towels in the cargo area/spare tire well for the standing water. Just very frustrating but, I appreciate your response.

I do have that issue and found have found water standing in the floor of front and second row passenger side. I've been treating the "symptoms" by having 2 large Damp-Rid pails to help keep the humidity/moisture down and towels in the cargo area/spare tire well for the standing water. Just very frustrating but, I appreciate your response.
Okay, if the water is pooling in the footwell then the issue is probably with the moonroof drains being either plugged or disconnected.
I don't believe that the interior panels have to be removed for that.

Peter

Okay, if the water is pooling in the footwell then the issue is probably with the moonroof drains being either plugged or disconnected.
I don't believe that the interior panels have to be removed for that.

Peter
This water was found after the drains were checked and deemed "clear".

This water was found after the drains were checked and deemed "clear".
It might be a good idea, once everything is dry, to run a hose over the roof to check and see if you notice water infiltration anywhere.

Peter

If you have the moonroof / sunroof, confirm that the drains are not clogged.

I do have that issue and found have found water standing in the floor of front and second row passenger side. I've been treating the "symptoms" by having 2 large Damp-Rid pails to help keep the humidity/moisture down and towels in the cargo area/spare tire well for the standing water. Just very frustrating but, I appreciate your respo
I had this problem last year. water in the floor pan, front row and second row (drivers side). finally I decided to take off the B pillar interior panels. there is a connector in the drain tube close to the floor inside the B pillar. it came apart. hence, all the water from the moon roof drain was dumping into the floor pan on that side. Why didn't they just install a longer piece of tubing? instead of piecing it together? after that, the wetness ended......

Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:
Most water leaks that run down the 3rd row seat belt come from the area where the roof rack attaches to the roof. There are several post on that in this thread. Check the posts and you may also find some repair tips. Most dealers use a specialized water leak repair company to fix these issues. Good luck.

Peter
Hello! I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. I've had the exact same problem! Leaking from the hatch area. I took it to a collision body shop because I originally thought it was from a rear-end accident several years ago. They literally ran the hose for an hour on the car but nothing conclusive. Every time it rains, the rear is wet. I thought it was coming from below because the cover on the spare was always wet. They noticed the exact problem you're speaking of & gooped it up with a sealant but told me it probably wouldn't last. It hasn't. I noticed water coming down the rear seat belt this week. I don't know what to do. The dealership won't acknowledge the problem. The auto collision said it didn't happen from the accident & insurance declined it. Any advice is welcomed! Thank you.

Hello! I have a 2013 Ford Explorer. I've had the exact same problem! Leaking from the hatch area. I took it to a collision body shop because I originally thought it was from a rear-end accident several years ago. They literally ran the hose for an hour on the car but nothing conclusive. Every time it rains, the rear is wet. I thought it was coming from below because the cover on the spare was always wet. They noticed the exact problem you're speaking of & gooped it up with a sealant but told me it probably wouldn't last. It hasn't. I noticed water coming down the rear seat belt this week. I don't know what to do. The dealership won't acknowledge the problem. The auto collision said it didn't happen from the accident & insurance declined it. Any advice is welcomed! Thank you.
The most common cause of water running down the 3rd-row seatbelt is that it is coming into the cabin from the roof rail mounting point(s).
There are many posts in this thread on that. However, I also found this post; Water Leak

Peter

The most common cause of water running down the 3rd-row seatbelt is that it is coming into the cabin from the roof rail mounting point(s).
There are many posts in this thread on that. However, I also found this post; Water Leak

Peter
I have a 2012. My leak originated from the roof rack bolts being rusty and water presented in from my right rear seatbelt assembly. Ford actually fixed mine just outside my 3/36 but couldn't diagnose until they put vehicle in a water room.

Peter

My 2013 was just discovered to be suffering from this only recently. I seldom have the 3rd row up but this week we had a tot sitting in a car seat in the 3rd row, driver's side and the seat belt was dripping on her. I read several threads and I'm going to look at leakage from the roof rail/s. However I didn't find a definitive post on what the best sealant to use for this fix was. Also, just seal up the bolts holding the rails to the roof or lift out the rail and seal under it too? So many sealants and caulking products out there I can't be sure which would be best. I have to park outside so my poor XLT gets hot summers and some minimal exposure to cold and snow.

I also noticed this driver's side rear pillar cover has a crack but I don't know if it has any impact on leakage.

THANK YOU for any input.

PillarCrack.jpg

Back